Sign in to follow this  
splutcho

Hughton's Substitutions.

Anyone else find it hilarious that people use these "too late" subs as a stick to beat him when he makes subs with 20-25 minutes to go all the time?

Fully expect the wrath of the board for this one as well.

My main problem is that they all seem to be like for like rather than trying to change a formation that isn''t working.

Not all the time and in the case of Hull it worked but games like Everton we were overrun in midfield and he did nothing to change it.

Its just another stick to beat him with.   But in truth the substitution thing is something Lambert made better use of.  When Lambert sent on substitutions it sent out a message - the message to the opposition was always "we''re going to attack you for the rest of the game".  It sometimes worked it sometimes didn''t, but that is always the message, when he was here  and at now at Villa.  A really positive message. 

Hughton is more pragmatic and while the majority of his substitutions are reasonable and sensible and mostly happen at the right time, they don''t inspire in the same way Lambert used to.  But that is Hughton''s way - sensible, balanced and consistent.   We have some really good players and I think the two that have been brought in will help us be more solid and effective and with injured players coming back I think overall we will improve.  The substitution thing is just another sign of the way Hughton manages.  But I agree with the op - the "too late" tag is wrong and doesn''t hold up under scrutiny.

I agree Herman, and I think we''ve needed another man in midfield in loads of games this season, but can you imagine how much the crowd would hammer him for taking off a striker and putting on another body in midfield? Especially if we''re 1-0 down or something.

I mean, he got hammered for not leaving Fer on his own against 3 Newcastle CMs when Johnson got sent off the other night!

I think scrutiny would tell a different story! But no one will know unless each substitution was scrutinised.

This sub stat - is it for this season, last or both? It feels like he makes them earlier this season.

He used to make them later. In response to criticism he has now moved his regulation sub time to 70 minutes but they remain like for like and bearing all the hallmarks of being pre planned. There is never any evidence of proactivity about his subs nor any attempt to change formation/shape in response to what is actually happening on the pitch.

For the record. In 23 PL games, subs have been used as follows -One sub used - 23 games (100%)Two subs used - 21 games (91%)Three subs used - 10 games (43%)Average introduction time - 1st sub - 65 minutes (4 games affected by early injury)1st sub (excluding injury) - 69 minutes2nd sub - 76 minutes3rd sub - 83 minutesAverage total sub time on pitch per match - 41 minutesAs I see it, we need to use the 3rd sub more often and earlier.We have failed to use all 3 subs on 13 occassions this season, primarily in games where they might/could have made a difference against fellow relegation candidates.