Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Fer

Fer, and Pilks, relegated to the bench today - quite a shock. The fact that they are on the bench could mean a slight injury, and therefore to be used only briefly, if at all.

Several have commented that Fer recently has not looked like the rapidly improving star of the middle autumn. Perhaps he has been carrying a niggle, but had to carry on in the absence of Tettey and Howson. I don''t buy this, as Hughton apparently made little effort to sign someone during the window. More worrying, however, is that we may have a player who doesn''t want to be here, but hasn''t yet expressed his feelings. In the Tunnelcam after the Newcastle game, as far as I could see, Fer did not look at or shake hands with Hughton, although admittedly Hughton was in conversation with someone at the time, although it didn''t stop him patting or hugging others as they walked past. I am not creating another Wes, and I hope that I am wrong, but a few weeks ago it would have been unthinkable to consider a Norwich team without a fit Fer.

Pilks perhaps is being "rested", after a recent game and only just back from injury, or perhaps Gutierrez is judged to have more steel in defensive duties. RvW something similar, Hooper getting the nod as we go down to the defensive single striker plus one away from home.

Whatever the explanations, Hughton has surprised us. I just hope that he has got it right.

I think Jonas has simply done enough to keep his place, simple as. Pilks will have to play out of his skin to get it back, as will Redmond, and the competition in the squad is exactly what you want.

Fer being dropped is a surprise, but a bit warranted. He has been a little off the pace lately, tracking back poorly, giving away needless free-kicks and his passing has been wayward. As you said, not the same player we saw a few months back. I think a little breather will do him no harm, and it gives Tettey a chance to show us all what we''ve missed.

Good to see Elmander given another go too, our best link-up play has been between him and Hooper, hopefully it''ll work again today

Fer''s been poor for a couple of months now and we''re set up to make sure we don''t lose, so no overtly surprising to see him on the bench.

Playing alongside Johnson or not Fer hasn''t been putting enough into games and it was very noticeable against Newcastle.