Sign in to follow this  
canarycol

Is Bassong a Real Team Captain ?

After watching the team crumble time and again this season, and after reading all the negative comments about the managerial mistakes last season and this season, I felt that although he has to primarily take the blame for the tactical decisions, the players also need to take their share of the blame as well, but when the players are on the pitch they need to take the lead from the team Captain, which leads me to the question "Is Bassong a real team captain ? " I am sure that many of us will remember Grant Holt being a Captain who led by example and when he was on the pitch you just knew that he made things happen, he also made things happen off the pitch as well, I for one do not have that confidence in Bassong, he really does not install confidence in me as a fan, especially when I see how many mistakes he makes time and again and I think that is filtering through to the other players, how many times have you seen Bassong playing the ball backwards when there has been a great opportunity to put the opposition under pressure and then when the ball is played back it seems most of the time we get caught out, another question that could be asked if Bassong was not the Captain who do we have that could replace him dare I say Russ Martin who has a great love for the club, maybe I will get flack for this but I am entitled to an opinion after supporting the canaries through thick and thin for over 40 years

taken from the clubs official website

"New Club Captain Russ Martin said: “Everyone knows how I feel about playing for this Club and the great relationships I share with the supporters, players and staff here.

“The gaffer has recognised something within me, which he believes validated the appointment of an over-riding Club Captain and I thank him for that. I am honoured to be offered this role, a position I have accepted with relish and delight and will fulfil with the enthusiasm and maturity it deserves.

“My role is to be there for all the players at the Club, on and off the pitch, from scholars, through to the First Team if they need any assistance and to work with Seb in helping get the maximum performance and togetherness from our squad on and off the pitch. "

Read more at http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/captaincy-story-1314-982701.aspx#bFB4HTrjl2GJEOPS.99

Impossible to say. Players seem to like and respect him. Did the team crumble today? Or in the week? Or against Hull?

Surely, as club captain, if Martin was that much of a leader he wouldn''t need the arm band.

Yet he''s involved in just as many poor showings as Bassong.

[quote user="GJP"]Surely, as club captain, if Martin was that much of a leader he wouldn''t need the arm band.

Yet he''s involved in just as many poor showings as Bassong.[/quote]

I agree but surely he must be better than bassong at this moment ? who would you have as team captain ?

[quote user="mrs miggins"]i wasn''t having a go, i don''t know whether russ loves this club or not (and nor do you), i thought hoolahan did.[/quote]

No problem I guess the only person that could answer that is the player himself, I think the players have lost confidence even Wes and when you are not getting the football from one week to the next you lose confidence

A good captain gets involved with the ref, lets him know when decisions made are questionable, rallies the team with words and effort, and all of those things get the team and the fans fired up.

I dont recall seeing any of that from Bassong.

[quote user="canarycol"][quote user="GJP"]Surely, as club captain, if Martin was that much of a leader he wouldn''t need the arm band.

I agree but surely he must be better than bassong at this moment ? who would you have as team captain ?[/quote]

You don''t choose your captain based on form though

[quote user="mrs miggins"][quote user="canarycol"][quote user="GJP"]Surely, as club captain, if Martin was that much of a leader he wouldn''t need the arm band.

I agree but surely he must be better than bassong at this moment ? who would you have as team captain ?[/quote]

You don''t choose your captain based on form though[/quote]

I agree and as someone stated earlier "

A good captain gets involved with the ref, lets him know when decisions made are questionable, rallies the team with words and effort, and all of those things get the team and the fans fired up.

I dont recall seeing any of that from Bassong."

I think this is a real issue, we lack strong leadership on the field as well as on on the touch, Bassong clearly doesn''t get verbally involved and seems pretty laid back with the whole captain thing

[quote user="Helsinki canary"]I think this is a real issue, we lack strong leadership on the field as well as on on the touch, Bassong clearly doesn''t get verbally involved and seems pretty laid back with the whole captain thing[/quote]

This is what I am trying to get across we need a skipper with fight and passion and to inspire his team mates

Think it''s a guess to be fair. It may well be that the multi-national international footballers respond better to someone with Bassong''s background.

so far they haven''t exactly responded to him yet have they nigel ? or maybe its because they have not had anything to respond to ?

I don''t know that. I can only take your word for it. I think they''re more likely to but that''s just my opinion. Yours is different. Where do you think we''d be if Martin was captain?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I don''t know that. I can only take your word for it. I think they''re more likely to but that''s just my opinion. Yours is different. Where do you think we''d be if Martin was captain?

[/quote]

to be honest nigel no one knows but the players and management themselves, however on the evidence of what we have seen on the pitch this season it does not give you a lot of confidence in the team captain when the lack of confidence in the team as a whole can be seen this season compared to previous seasons when we had Grant Holt as Captain as far as where we would be if Martin was captain who knows ? I;m sure that we could not be any worse off, but as I said earlier Martin has love for this club is evident by his support of his team mates and fans both on and off the pitch