Sign in to follow this  
Green and Yellow fellow

Can't blame Hughton

G&YF:

I thought you were going to cite some medical condition that prevents you from assigning blame for the teams current dire situation to the manager.

Obviously someone should have got out a ''Hughton Out'' banner to show the players before the game as apparently this  ''fires the team up''!

I wont blame Hughton for both those goals, Ill blame him for the fact that in the entire season we have only scored more than once in 3 games. Which by my reckoning means that we have a 1-8 chance of getting back into this match, despite only being 2-1 down. Ohh and did I mention we spent 18,000,000 on attacking players in the summer.Seriously, I gave Hughton till 15 games into this season, I really feel I have backed the guy to the hilt, but the reality is we are in our third season, with a HUGE net spend and we still cant score twice.

Only people not educated or intelligent enough to grasp reality would ever blame one person especially one person who has only very a small influence over events.

Cant blame Hughton for the loss today.

2 minutes madness from Hooper and Elmander, and then we@re screwed.

The players tried everything in the last 25, camped in the Cardiff half, and were both unlucky and not good enough to score.

Typical our bad luck, and with media all rooting for their darling Solskjaer, this is what happens.

Solskjaer is media´s Swansea.

With such adoration comes luck, and Cardiff were very lucky today

[quote user="T"]Only people not educated or intelligent enough to grasp reality would ever blame one person especially one person who has only very a small influence over events.[/quote]

So all of Fergies success was nothing to do with his individual influence over his football club. Lamberts double promotions were just because of Mcnally, the board and the players and had nothing to do with playing an adventurous form of attacking football which fitted the assets at his disposal and what Brian Clough achieved was simply run of the mill good luck. Give me a break, I dont blame him for a single loss, I will blame him for patterns of results brought about by reducing the confidence of a team, playing too rigid football and not seeing the obvious lack of links between strikers and the midfield.We should probably scrap the position of manager, I mean its the players who do the playing, why do we need someone to coordinate tactics, decide the team and create vision for a squad.

Fergie no doubt was an outperforming mgr but also generally had the largest budget of any club for most of his reign. No one is saying that a mgr does not have influence but all objective studies show mgr has only 10 to 15pc influence so to praise or criticise one person for a TEAM performance is just crass stupidity.

[quote user="T"]Only people not educated or intelligent enough to grasp reality would ever blame one person especially one person who has only very a small influence over events.[/quote]

There must be a lot of uneducated and unintelligent chairmen

Running clubs these days!

[quote user="T"]Fergie no doubt was an outperforming mgr but also generally had the largest budget of any club for most of his reign. No one is saying that a mgr does not have influence but all objective studies show mgr has only 10 to 15pc influence so to praise or criticise one person for a TEAM performance is just crass stupidity.[/quote]According to The Numbers Game what surveys show is:"Over the course of a single campaign [as opposed to over several years] the amount of variation in league position explained by relative wages drops from 81 per cent to 59 per cent. There is a lot more room for immediate managerial influence."I am not a statistician but since the authors don''t think any other factors apart from mangerial influence are worth mentioning that would seem to mean they regard the managerial influence over a whole season as potentially being around 40 per cent. Certainly more than just 10-15 per cent.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="T"]Fergie no doubt was an outperforming mgr but also generally had the largest budget of any club for most of his reign. No one is saying that a mgr does not have influence but all objective studies show mgr has only 10 to 15pc influence so to praise or criticise one person for a TEAM performance is just crass stupidity.[/quote]According to The Numbers Game what surveys show is:"Over the course of a single campaign [as opposed to over several years] the amount of variation in league position explained by relative wages drops from 81 per cent to 59 per cent. There is a lot more room for immediate managerial influence."I am not a statistician but since the authors don''t think any other factors apart from mangerial influence are worth mentioning that would seem to mean they regard the managerial influence over a whole season as potentially being around 40 per cent. Certainly more than just 10-15 per cent.[/quote]Here''s an abstract from a negative review of the book on Amazon: "and if you do understand stats you''ll find this book so full of holes it will make you either laugh or cry."

Can''t blame Hughton but we can blame the people running the club for blindly sticking by him amid the crap of the last 12 months . Oh and they gave him zero backing in the transfer window, as low as 13/8 to go down now and we deserve to drop in honesty .

The last period of the game today we played with more attacking personnel and with more attacking intent.

As a result Cardiff were very lucky to not concede. Had that prolonged attacking play been not for 15 minutes but for 30 minutes, or the whole second half, would Cardiff been able to keep their goal intact?

The influence of the manager is more than a percentage figure. The players'' footballing careers, and his, depend upon his decisions.

And you seriously feel that no blame can be laid at his door?

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]The last period of the game today we played with more attacking personnel and with more attacking intent.

As a result Cardiff were very lucky to not concede. Had that prolonged attacking play been not for 15 minutes but for 30 minutes, or the whole second half, would Cardiff been able to keep their goal intact?

The influence of the manager is more than a percentage figure. The players'' footballing careers, and his, depend upon his decisions.

And you seriously feel that no blame can be laid at his door?[/quote]But any other club in the Premiership would have sacked him months ago , not his fault McSally and the cook have not got the bottle to do it ,

[quote user="M.u.s.t.a.r.d_M.a.t.t.e.r.s"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="T"]Fergie no doubt was an outperforming mgr but also generally had the largest budget of any club for most of his reign. No one is saying that a mgr does not have influence but all objective studies show mgr has only 10 to 15pc influence so to praise or criticise one person for a TEAM performance is just crass stupidity.[/quote]According to The Numbers Game what surveys show is:"Over the course of a single campaign [as opposed to over several years] the amount of variation in league position explained by relative wages drops from 81 per cent to 59 per cent. There is a lot more room for immediate managerial influence."I am not a statistician but since the authors don''t think any other factors apart from mangerial influence are worth mentioning that would seem to mean they regard the managerial influence over a whole season as potentially being around 40 per cent. Certainly more than just 10-15 per cent.[/quote]Here''s an abstract from a negative review of the book on Amazon: "and if you do understand stats you''ll find this book so full of holes it will make you either laugh or cry."[/quote]I agree that the book has been wildly overpraised and is mainly a load of tosh. In one chapter it says changing the manager never makes a positive difference - which by definition must mean all managers are either entirely powerless or all the same in terms of ability - and then, as above, does an about-face and says managers can make a massive difference. I was simply quoting it to show that it is not the case that all surveys put the managerial difference at only 10-15 per cent.

I''m going to say that you can, and must, blame Hughton. Everything stops with him. The coaching staff and the team selection. The shape and the motivation.

I believe that we have the players to stay in the division.  

I believe that had we played a more offensive style against Newcastle and Man Utd , and again today , we would have won more than we did. I base this on Newcastle today who seem hungover on losing Cabaye , who had lost him when we played , but we still over played our defensive shape . Man Utd too ; well just look at their results since their "lucky" win against us.

I have argued the whole bit about dead cat bounces, teams not changing when the influencers change (the manager and coaches) , and I cannot come to any other conclusion that with our games coming up, something must change in order for us to win enough to stay up.

I have heard how none of the bottom half can take points off the top half. Today , that seems to have gone for a walk. Do you think we would have beaten Man Utd? Do you think we will take a point off Spurs?  

West Ham havn''t changed thier manager and have moved out of the bottom three? But they have got Nolan and Caroll back , two players that would walk into any bottom half side and effect the game. We don''t have these players , or at least we don''t play a system that would enable them to be effective.

There is no doubt in my mind that Hughton and NCFC have not been able to attract some players that the tried to get in. To see Jones score today is an example. Our signings in the window are cover signings at best. None of them are better than we already have. Cardiff changed the game with new signings. We nearly changed it by bringing on what we already had, suggesting they should have been on in the first place against the team bottom of the league.

We only need 4 more wins. The very act of changing and refreshing what we have may be enough in itself, as it was with Sunderland last year. Forget longevity, that is old fashoined nonsense in the plight we find ourselves.

I think the board will be considering this as we speak.

It''s clearly the coaching. They are all good players so it can only be down to what they do on the training pitch all day.

I''m not a fan of sacking managers after a few poor results cause things can change so quickly in this league, false positions for every club right up to 10th. But I have now just about had enough of negative tactics. Time for a change, let''s go get Culverhouse from Villa.

Stick one up them, take lamberts secret weapon and give a norwich legend a chance to stand up to the plate. Time to gamble I reckon.

But we played really well for the last 20 minutes and I think Hoots is a top manager and tactician.

It''s all very well coming on this board and talking sense buddy but who on earth would come here whose better than Hoots