Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Baboon

Hughton says we were comfortable, even at 1-0

Since when has 1-0 ever been comfortable in football?

Was that his attitude with the players at half time? No wonder we have conceded goals after going ahead recently if 1-0 is considered confortable.

Without doubt he was more than happy to sit on a 1-0 lead against Cardiff (explains why we''ve only scored 2+ 3times this season) then we go behind and he takes 25.MINUTES to try salvage a point as if we had of scored we would of camped in our own half for the rest of the game. The blokes an utter joke, he''s got no dignity or he''d of walked AGES AGO

That''s always been his problem.  He wants to sit on a 1-0 lead.   The same thing happened on Boxing day against Fulham. Another poor side who were there for the taking. Yet we handed them the initiative and they beat us on our own patch, having been a goal down.

[quote user="splutcho"]Wrong. To walk away from a challenge would make him a coward.

We were looking comfortable.[/quote]
Only at Stoke has 1-0 been comfortable. It is naive to think we should ever have been comfortable today. One minute of concentration lapses proved this.

splutcho wrote the following post at 01/02/2014 6:13 PM:

Wrong. To walk away from a challenge would make him a coward.

We were looking comfortable.

No we were not at all. We had a great start and should have gone for the jugular when they were all over the shop. After 20 minutes Cardiff started to come into the game and the commentator on the stream said that Cardiff wouldn''t want half to come. We went in at half time with the lead but the went in with the momentum.

quote user "Rogue Baboon"

Since when has 1-0 ever been comfortable in football? Was that his attitude with the players at half time? No wonder we have conceded goals after going ahead recently if 1-0 is considered confortable..

Yes this is his mentality and it clearly shows in the way we go about any game, we started to sit back in the 39th minuet we are so predictable it was obvious that we where going to try and keep the 1-0 advantage and just soak up pressure in the second half.

I was only able to see the first half, but IMO we lost control of the game around 25 minutes. And for exactly the same reason as against Fulham - we went into a shell, started to look for the "safe" backwards pass and long punt up field rather than the more adventurous forward balls that had them at sixes and sevens. We just are not sustaining pressure on teams.

IMO it is the management philosophy - score one, concede nil, and it''s bored me to death ever since I had the misfortune to see the friendly again Ajax.

For me it confirms that we need somebody at the helm who is prepared to press home the advantage rather than sit on a 1-0 lead. Fulham where there for the taking on Boxing Day and we sat back and paid the price, the Pink Un report for todays game suggest the same thing happened again........

You are never comfortable at 1-0 maybe 4-0 but unfortunately I dont think we will ever be comfortable in this league this season and at the moment we are steering towards the bottom. Perhaps Sir Aleks can come out of retirement for us ??

We should have progressed after going 1-0 up and should have gone in at half time 2-0 up. Then towards the end we go up a gear when we are losing? AGH

These players all seem to have that honesty when they''re interviewed. It''s more interesting to hear them than the manager who quite rightly protects his players. Hughton didn''t look as calm as normal today though.

Fair play to Tettey. I felt that was genuine. CH is doing the manager template speech, so its hard to criticise him. It just doesn''t matter what angles you take on the season, performances and results - we are likely more than the last 2 seasons to go down, and we have no one but our selves to blame.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

These players all seem to have that honesty when they''re interviewed. It''s more interesting to hear them than the manager who quite rightly protects his players. Hughton didn''t look as calm as normal today though.

[/quote]I''d agree with that Nutty.Hughton looked quite edgy. Even with his ultra-cautious pre-match approach he must have been confident of getting at least a point today and seemed quite shocked that we didn''t. The truth is we played well for most of the game and certainly didn''t deserve to lose.Unfortunately the bottom line is we lost to what is probably the worse team in the division and we''re now in serious danger of slipping out of this League.I dread to think how he''ll look in the interviews after next week''s car crash match at Carrow Rd......

Yep Smith I agree, it will take a small miracle to stay up imo. I just can''t see us getting any momentum going now, especially with the games coming up and the run in we have. Championship here we come...no whining, just fearing the worst. These are the games you cannot afford to lose

We were comfortable at 1-0 & looked certain to go on & score more.

Then, inexplicably, we turned into a bag o''shite. Hoofing it upfield where we''d been passing, clearing it into the stands under no pressure.

I really do not understand what happened. And I really do not think you can lay the blame at Hughton''s feet; the players just seemed to think they''d won it, & completely lost concentration.