Sign in to follow this  
thebigfeller

The board of Norwich City Football Club

- Fell out spectacularly and poisonously with the greatest manager in the club''s modern history- Have maintained a pedantic, classless tit-for-tat with that manager and his new club ever since- Made a very conservative, ''safe'' choice for his successor- As this season has slid downhill (in fact, it never got going to begin with), have failed to act and failed to act and failed to act - yet not even publicly backed the incumbent with any real confidence either- Hedged their bets by failing to back him with the new signings we desperately needed, or sack him eitherJust what has been going on inside that boardroom since May 2012? What has turned McNasty into McNice - or even, as some might start putting it before much longer, McNumpty?And more to the point: why did we fall out with such an incredibly successful manager in the first place? What was it that made him want out so much? Not only that, but he''d been wanting out for some considerable time prior: remember Burnley? Why was he even remotely interested in them given where they were and we were; given their potential and our potential? And why did one of our players - a fan''s favourite, ostracised beyond belief despite our glaring creative and offensive weaknesses - describe us as a "fucking shithouse club" only this week?In short: wass gorn un?

Tune in next week for the second exciting episode of  Shouty Rhetorical Questions based on False or Flimsy Premises. Now here is the Shipping Forecast...

Why does the previously, at a lower level, incredibly successful manager have a very similar record ( with greater resources at his disposal ) to that of our current manager since he left ?

Lambert 73 - 24 - 17 - 32

Hughton - 73 - 22 - 21 - 30

In short, would it have made a jot of difference had Lambert stayed ?

Not that he was ever going to - it''s not in his make-up.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Tune in next week for the second exciting episode of  Shouty Rhetorical Questions based on False or Flimsy Premises. Now here is the Shipping Forecast...[/quote]
Wow that''s unlike you PC.

"Fell out spectacularly and poisonously with the greatest manager in the club''s modern history"

I think Walker was far better than Lambert, for me Lambert done a fantastic job but isn''t the greatest manager in modern history in my view.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Why does the previously, at a lower level, incredibly successful manager have a very similar record ( with greater resources at his disposal ) to that of our current manager since he left ?

Lambert 73 - 24 - 17 - 32

Hughton - 73 - 22 - 21 - 30

In short, would it have made a jot of difference had Lambert stayed ?

Not that he was ever going to - it''s not in his make-up.[/quote]

If you truly believe this then you are seriously disturbed. Lambert was managing a first season team, hughton took one on that finished mid table and has spent decent money. Villa now sit more than safe after being a club in crisis. We are now the club in crisis. Hughton is not fit to lace lamberts boots in management terms. As a person he is probably the better man. However nice people don''t tend to do well in this game

[quote user="thebigfeller"]- Fell out spectacularly and poisonously with the greatest manager in the club''s modern history

And more to the point: why did we fall out with such an incredibly successful manager in the first place? [/quote]If I''m ever in Court please don''t represent me you''ve assumed Guilt before we''ve even heard the facts.

[quote user=" Zak Cartman"]If I''m ever in Court please don''t represent me you''ve assumed Guilt before we''ve even heard the facts.[/quote]Sorry, no I''ve not. I''ve asked why the falling out happened. Lawsuits flying in all directions between manager''s new club and manager''s old one, when that manager had been a genuine folk hero at his previous club? You reckon that''s normal or something?It takes two to tango. If Lambert wanted to leave so desperately - and appeared to have done for a very considerable time before that - my question is, ''why''? And if the response of many on here is: "He''s an over-ambitious ego driven so-and-so who thinks it''s all about him", then I''m sorry, but the club''s behaviour since - becoming ever more conservative and falling back towards its old infuriating ways - doesn''t make it look very clever.In fact, it makes it look as though the Lambert era wasn''t just an aberration in terms of results, but attitude throughout the club. And that''s just not acceptable at all.

[quote user="Long drives home"]

If you truly believe this then you are seriously disturbed. Lambert was managing a first season team, hughton took one on that finished mid table and has spent decent money. Villa now sit more than safe after being a club in crisis. We are now the club in crisis. Hughton is not fit to lace lamberts boots in management terms. As a person he is probably the better man. However nice people don''t tend to do well in this game[/quote]Yeah....... more than safe ie on exactly the same points we were on at 5 past 3 this afternoon yet we''re in trouble and they aren''t????Villa this season are 80% dire and 20% surprise result and nothing in between, living in Solihell I thought you''d have an idea what''s going on in B6 and how many Villa fans are unhappy with what they get for their money....

I''d love to know what''s been going on behind the scenes.

Lambert was always looking to move on IMO. I haven''t liked his conduct at Carrow Road since but I do remember he thanked the supporters on the pitch at the end of the season and he always said the Club is about the fans and the players. I agree with that and it''s disturbing to see all the fan/supporter fall out recently.

At the time I felt our Board handled the departure appallingly. That stupid, stupid picture of McNally with his boxing gloves.....''the gloves are off'' wasn''t it? We then enter a period of distraction with Villa which did damage to the bigger picture.

McNally brings a great deal to the club but he''s got the soft skills of Ghengis Khan and there doesn''t seem to be anyone to balance him out.

It has also been obvious to me that the attitude of Club to fans which was so successful in the tough times has deteriorated badly and is still going downhill.

Our Board has ''previous'' for dithering. McNally isn''t a ditherer but Hughton is his man and forceful leaders, especially male, can often find it difficult to change course and end up hoisted by their own petard. The longer it goes on the harder it gets because it''s tantamount to admitting failure or fault over time. So we have a Board in paralysis.

Chris Hughton and his coaches were a mistake from the off. We had a good squad of players he wouldn''t know how to use and develop. If the players and even the club were a person you would be telling it to be itself and not try to be something it was not. Our Club I do not recognise on a number of levels.

The Buck stops with the Board. They have made and keep making an awful lot of mistakes. They are very lucky the ground capacity is so tight otherwise their precious ST sales would fall.

"If you truly believe this then you are seriously disturbed."

A shame that you feel unable to debate this without throwing insults. Whatever.

Lambert was managing a first season team, hughton took one on that finished mid table and has spent decent money. Villa now sit more than safe after being a club in crisis. We are now the club in crisis. Hughton is not fit to lace lamberts boots in management terms. As a person he is probably the better man. However nice people don''t tend to do well in this game"

Lambert has done not much better at Villa, arguably worse on points in fact, than Hughton over nearly two seasons. You can argue that Villa were a crisis club, but they had a better squad than we have now when he arrived there, and have spent more money than Norwich since he has been there. Pulis has shown how quickly a "crisis club" can be turned around with a bit of organisation. So, why is it that this brilliant manager, with more money at his disposal, and a better initial squad, has done no better than our "manager in freefall ?".

Current form and league position suggests that the only crisis club in the Premier league at the moment are Fulham. There are 10 other clubs scrambling to avoid falling with them, and arguably 4 or 5 wins from 14 will give safety to any of them.

For these 10 teams, improving organisation and cutting down on mistakes will get them safe this season. It''s not exciting, it''s not entertaining, but it''s true. I would like to see Norwich push the tempo far more often than they have been, and losing to the likes of Fulham and Cardiff is worrying. But we are not relegated yet, and replacing the manager is no guarantee of an improvement of form. Actually, I can think of one man who was good at improving initial form after taking over a club, but you wouldn''t want him either. Glenn Roeder anyone ?

The OP raises some very valid questions, whether rhetorical or not.

The only one I''d defend them against is probably the first.

What Lambert did to us was identical to what he did to his former club. We got what it said on the tin. He did to us what he did to Colchester, and if he achieves success at Villa he will probably do it again.

The rest are very valid criticisms.

Which begs the question.... do the chief exec and chairman merely believe their own bull shit?

Why did celtic and Fulham part ways with McNally? Does anyone know?

Not sure Lambert is a ''great'' manager.

I am sure that his arrival at NCFC was spectacularly good timing for all concerned.

I''m fairly sure he''s not the most pleasant of people. Angry & ambitious were my first impressions of him, & I''ve never seen any real reason to change my opinion.

There''s a suggestion that successful people usually are impatient of themselves and others.

Of course, some people are just arseholes. Results tend to be the only thing that distinguish the successes from the arseholes.

Chris Hughton: Norwich City boss ''meeting brief'' despite fan criticism

Norwich City manager Chris Hughton is meeting the board''s targets despite calls from supporters for him to leave, says chief executive David McNally.

Well he ain''t going yet I presume! McNallys statement from 3 weeks ago says it all.