Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

After watching the highlights..................

On Sky first, which I have to say is very good. 1 hour of highlights on our match today. Anyway, I feel we were extremely unlucky today. Should of really won by a few goals by the amount of chances we had. Had 2 goals disallowed for offside. Had an effort cleared off the line, a couple of efforts hit the post/crossbar amongst other chances where we really should of scored. After Johnson, Elmander and Guiterez went off to be replaced by Fer , Redmond and Wolfswinkle, we really did improve and looked very strong going forward. Ollson and Snodgrass played out of their skins. Snodgrass does need to cut out the play acting though. As for Wolfswinkle, I''m afraid I don''t rate him. Far to light weight for this league. Went down far to easy. Had one or two half chances that he mis-kicked. I''d much rather we play Hooper upfront on his own with Hoolahan in the hole. Overall after watching this game, if we play the team that finished this match apart from Hoolahan instead of Wolfswinkle, I have complete confidence we will get enough points on the board to survive the dreaded drop.

It''s funny, I said to a friend who didn''t see it live, the highlights would flatter Norwich. The simple truth is that Norwich capitulated when they were a goal up, while Cardiff didn''t.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]It''s funny, I said to a friend who didn''t see it live, the highlights would flatter Norwich. The simple truth is that Norwich capitulated when they were a goal up, while Cardiff didn''t. [/quote]what game was that ?

On today''s game, we were extremely unlucky. I''m a Houghton outer and have been for a long time. But if we actually start with the team that we finished with today, apart from playing Hoolahan instead of Wolfswinkle( who is clearly not strong enough for this league) we have a great chance of staying up. We HAVE the players at this club. It''s all about playing the right ones and dropping the shit ones!

And letting them play as they did in the last 15 minutes.

Have to say I didn''t really pick up earlier today how soft Bellamys shot was. Ruddy should have saved that. Also was it actually a corner in the build up to their second?

Yes but anyone watching those highlights would say that based on that 90 minutes but we are basing our views/fears on rather more.

"14 corners, 27 shots, it was a freak result"

We have heard that quite a few times this season, only a certain number of times you can blame ''luck'', they say that you make your own luck.

We had 33 shots against Cardiff last time too. If we can''t score goals with that many chances then there is something wrong with our finishing.

colneycanary wrote the following post at 2014-02-02 3:30 AM:

And even Hansen agrees, Norwich continue playing like that, and they will be ok.

Oh yeah, what dies that muppet know - consistently wrong snout everything!

Let''s see what he says next week after man city.!

"And even Hansen agrees, Norwich continue playing like that, and they will be ok"

And you think he has studied the fixture lists of each team?

[quote user="colneycanary"]On today''s game, we were extremely unlucky. I''m a Houghton outer and have been for a long time. But if we actually start with the team that we finished with today, apart from playing Hoolahan instead of Wolfswinkle( who is clearly not strong enough for this league) we have a great chance of staying up. We HAVE the players at this club. It''s all about playing the right ones and dropping the shit ones![/quote]or actually letting the players playtoday showed what they can do, if freed from Hughton''s flawed tactics

We need to work out what''s going on at corners, both in attack and defense, marking at corners let''s us down too often as does poor delivery at the other end. Why does this not get sorted?

We all know that we''re going to lose to Man City next week. And I don''t think anybody on this planet will think different. But then we have a little run of easier games, that if we play the team that we finished we today, I have every confidence that we will pick up enough points. I''m not a Houghton fan. I think he should of gone a long time ago. But on seeing how well we can play (if we start we the right players) and Houghton has the balls to drop Johnson and Wolfswinkle, we have every chance of staying up!

[quote user="ron obvious"]After watching the highlights..................

I''m getting very concerned about Ruddy .....[/quote]
While I recognise there isn''t much more he can/could do in the moment, that first Cardiff goal reminded me of the Hazard goal, how it just seemed to trickle under him into the goal.

We are not unlucky. We are totally inconsistent.

In particular I would single out Ruddy, Bassong, Olsson, Fer, Johnson, Hooper & Redmond.

RvW is unfortunately looking consistently bad. Snodgrass tends to play at the same level each game, & his form has improved lately. Martin is pretty consistent, but has difficulty making the grade. Tettey, Turner & Bennett are decent players.

When they click we look a good mid-table team. Which is what is so frustrating. We look like we shouldn''t be in trouble, but then it all falls apart again.

Most people here think that''s all the manager''s fault. Personally I don''t think there''s a lot he can do about it.

Bassong is the steadier of the two centrebacks without doubt. Bennett is ok for winning headers he should win and stuff like that but Bassong''s positioning and reading of the game is much better.

But that''s the thing, in the Newcastle game there was a ripple of applause when Bennett made a side foot pass to Bassong under no pressure.

Yet when Bassong showed superb reading of the game to kill off a threat from Newcastle with one calm, composed touch there was nothing from the crowd.

[quote user="GJP"]

Bassong is the steadier of the two centrebacks without doubt. Bennett is ok for winning headers he should win and stuff like that but Bassong''s positioning and reading of the game is much better.

But that''s the thing, in the Newcastle game there was a ripple of applause when Bennett made a side foot pass to Bassong under no pressure.

Yet when Bassong showed superb reading of the game to kill off a threat from Newcastle with one calm, composed touch there was nothing from the crowd.

[/quote]It''s down to the crowd and how they react then all along, that is what McNally thinks and why performances have been so 5hit so often for the last 12 (to be generous) months! how could we not just see that all along...

Completely agree, Bassong is a much more talented player.

BUT he occasionally makes a disastrous, hair-raising decision which puts him & his team mates in all sorts of trouble.

Consistency is imperative. The closer you are to your own goal, the less room for error. And unfortunately he makes too many for a truly top class defender.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Completely agree, Bassong is a much more talented player. BUT he occasionally makes a disastrous, hair-raising decision which puts him & his team mates in all sorts of trouble. Consistency is imperative. The closer you are to your own goal, the less room for error. And unfortunately he makes too many for a truly top class defender.[/quote]

He''s less of a liability at the back than Bennett.

This reminds me of some games last season, particularly Spurs and Swansea away. Played really well, really expansive football but 3 different results. All very fine margins. If we had Howson today it probably would have made the difference we were looking for.

There are so many teams right among it and there''s still plenty of time to find some form. At the moment its Sunderland and Palace finding form but they''re still right in it. If we can find some form from our current position we can put some real distance between us and the bottom.

I thought Bradley Johnson played the "Howson role" quite well today. The difference was Tettey. We need him to stay fit first and foremost.  Last 3 games WDL yet the L was our best performance by a considerable margin. Very similar game to Swansea last season[Y]

[quote user="colneycanary"]And even Hansen agrees, Norwich continue playing like that, and they will be ok.[/quote]There in lies the problem though - we won''t continue to play like that.We played like that against Man U but the failed to reproduce anything like that sort of performance against Palace, Fulham (twice), Everton, Hull & Newcastle.It''s no good playing great once in a blue moon - now there''s a cue for next week.