Sign in to follow this  
Number 9

The Best Team

When we saw the team sheets me & mates wondered about the ''defensive'' nature of the team & why the most creative players had been left on the bench, or in the case of Hoolahoop, in Norwich.

Surely this was a game we really wanted to win?

Surely this Cardiff team was there for the taking?

Why were our best players not playing?

Why didn''t Hughton react & bring on these players earlier when everyone could see what was happening on the pitch?

Why not actually give our best players some game time rather than bringing them on at 80mins & then looking clueless as to why we lost?

Those are good questions. I would say, however, that in Hughton''s defence, the game was entertaining and we were unlucky not to get something. The Hughton bashers will not give him any credit under any circumstances. The mistakes are what did for us.

We did nearly everything right yesterday - cause for optimism imo. The season is not over and we look capable of being at least as good as the teams around us.

Imo the questions you ask are fair but any criticism has to be balanced by the fact that we were good in nearly every way.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Those are good questions. I would say, however, that in Hughton''s defence, the game was entertaining and we were unlucky not to get something. The Hughton bashers will not give him any credit under any circumstances. The mistakes are what did for us.

We did nearly everything right yesterday - cause for optimism imo. The season is not over and we look capable of being at least as good as the teams around us.

Imo the questions you ask are fair but any criticism has to be balanced by the fact that we were good in nearly every way.[/quote]All this is good knockabout rhetoric Lakey, but, as usual you overlook one tiny detail.ie...We lost. To a desperately poor Cardiff team (who have now taken 4 pts from us)End of story.

In fairness to Hughton he is managing from the ladybird book of tactics manual and the pictures don''t cover to much detail.

" In Hughton''s defence, the game was entertaining...."

Far too late in the day to offer ''entertainment'' as an excuse for Hughton.

Against the fellow strugglers it is all about results. The ''entertainment'' can be saved for the thrashing from the top four.

Hughton hasn''t changed his ways since he managed Newcastle and Birmingham - completely unable to change the course of a game by the use of substitutes.

Lakey, you made the comment before the game that you did not like the defensive set up of the team.You have now said the game was entertaining.Yes, I agree, the game was entertaining, but it would have been a lot more entertaining had we played with the same attacking purpose, with the same attack minded players, for the entire match and not just the last 15 minutes.I firmly believe we would then have seen a truly entertaining victory.

People will complain regardless of the team put out, with the benefit of hindsight.

Probably the same people who have recently berated Redmond for his lack of end product, Fer for his apparent lack of interest and van Wolfswinkel for not being able to hit a barn door.

But we were playing well with the team that started and looking back through the match thread yesterday, it was pretty quiet on here until Hooper''s mistake.

Way too many `experts'' on here!

Yes, I thought the team looked defensive but I was wrong. It was fine up until one mistake. And we could easily have won as we got stronger as the match wore on. Not a lot wrong yesterday apart from that misplaced pass.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Yes, I thought the team looked defensive but I was wrong. It was fine up until one mistake. And we could easily have won as we got stronger as the match wore on. Not a lot wrong yesterday apart from that misplaced pass.[/quote]

I think I preferred it last night when you said you had limited internet access until tomorrow Lakey. [:D]

Not a lot wrong you reckon Lakey but we feckin lost to the team bottom of the table.

lake district canary wrote the following post at 02/02/2014 10:51 AM:

Yes, I thought the team looked defensive but I was wrong. It was fine up until one mistake. And we could easily have won as we got stronger as the match wore on. Not a lot wrong yesterday apart from that misplaced pass.

No Lakey, you were right!

It was defensive. As you said "we got stronger as the match wore on." That was because we had more attacking players on the pitch and more attacking intent.

Cardiff were poor. Had we attacked them, as we did in the latter part of the game, I am convinced we would have won easily.

@til. Stuck with trying to do this on a smart phone which is slow work. We lost but it was encouraging to see us attack so well, even if the post and goalie did get in the way. Shame there has to be an opposing team out there on the pitch as well as ours.......