Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Board and Managerial Negligence if we go Down

Ahhh Ricardo, so the brutal truth is you are no dreamer. Just think what might be possible...in fact think what we achieved in yesteryear with Mike Walker (what a guy).

The Impossible Dream (Chris Hughton Remix for all those Happy Clappers)

To dream the impossible dream (mid-table finish)

To fight the unbeatable foe (Fulham)

To bear with unbearable sorrow (7-0 at Citeh!)

To run where the brave dare not go (the opposition half)

To right the unrightable wrong (Your fault McNally)

To love pure and chaste from afar

To try when your arms are too weary

To reach the unreachable star (Mid-table finish)

This is my quest, to follow that star (but not sign him)

No matter how hopeless (or hapless), no matter how far

To be willing to give (Becchio a chance) when there''s no more to give

To be willing to die so that honor and justice may live (so resign Chris, FFS)

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

"''Nero fiddled whilst Rome burned'' or something along those lines"

Could well be a description of the Chairman "being very busy with his raft of other business interests and activities" rather than an excuse you couldn''t blame him for. But the truth of that seems to be that Bowkett believes his work with the balance sheet, his area of expertise, is done. Did he have nothing to do with the football side then? Possibly not.

Anybody can be seen to be negligent with hindsight which would include events still to happen. But that would be more of an inquest. It''s the calls made now which would have kept the patient alive.

My opinion now is that they are not being negligent because we have not shown any sign of falling into the bottom three so the gamble would all be in a change of manager. As for the transfer market I believe QPR were among the big spenders last season and that didn''t end well.  Again I believe a panic signing could do more harm than good.

[/quote]Nutty, I don''t think the board has been negligent, because there has never been a moment this season when there was an unanswerable case for sacking Hughton. There hasn''t been that tipping point. And I am Anti-Hughton and not a blind supporter of the directors. You would hardly believe it but I have even been accused of not worshipping Saint McNally as religiously as I should![;)]I do take a nerdy[8-|] interest in boardroom politics, and I think from that point of view the last four and a half years at Carrow Road have been fascinating. Perhaps more complicated than some fans seem to think. And no more so than now. Based on the very occasional straw in the wind that floats past my balcony possibly affairs are in a bit of flux. Sadly not quite enough straws to be certain. But power ultimately resides with Smith and Jones, as it always did.

[quote user="Second Wizard"]Ahhh Ricardo, so the brutal truth is you are no dreamer. Just think what might be possible...in fact think what we achieved in yesteryear with Mike Walker (what a guy).

The Impossible Dream (Chris Hughton Remix for all those Happy Clappers)

To dream the impossible dream (mid-table finish)

To fight the unbeatable foe (Fulham)

To bear with unbearable sorrow (7-0 at Citeh!)

To run where the brave dare not go (the opposition half)

To right the unrightable wrong (Your fault McNally)

To love pure and chaste from afar

To try when your arms are too weary

To reach the unreachable star (Mid-table finish)

This is my quest, to follow that star (but not sign him)

No matter how hopeless (or hapless), no matter how far

To be willing to give (Becchio a chance) when there''s no more to give

To be willing to die so that honor and justice may live (so resign Chris, FFS)[/quote]Nothing wrong with dreaming.The time to worry is when you can''t separate dreams from reality.[:D]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

"''Nero fiddled whilst Rome burned'' or something along those lines"

Could well be a description of the Chairman "being very busy with his raft of other business interests and activities" rather than an excuse you couldn''t blame him for. But the truth of that seems to be that Bowkett believes his work with the balance sheet, his area of expertise, is done. Did he have nothing to do with the football side then? Possibly not.

Anybody can be seen to be negligent with hindsight which would include events still to happen. But that would be more of an inquest. It''s the calls made now which would have kept the patient alive.

My opinion now is that they are not being negligent because we have not shown any sign of falling into the bottom three so the gamble would all be in a change of manager. As for the transfer market I believe QPR were among the big spenders last season and that didn''t end well.  Again I believe a panic signing could do more harm than good.

[/quote]Nutty, I don''t think the board has been negligent, because there has never been a moment this season when there was an unanswerable case for sacking Hughton. There hasn''t been that tipping point. And I am Anti-Hughton and not a blind supporter of the directors. You would hardly believe it but I have even been accused of not worshipping Saint McNally as religiously as I should![;)]I do take a nerdy[8-|] interest in boardroom politics, and I think from that point of view the last four and a half years at Carrow Road have been fascinating. Perhaps more complicated than some fans seem to think. And no more so than now. Based on the very occasional straw in the wind that floats past my balcony possibly affairs are in a bit of flux. Sadly not quite enough straws to be certain. But power ultimately resides with Smith and Jones, as it always did.[/quote]

Well I take a passing interest which isn''t as bit nerdy[8-|] and I wouldn''t be surprised to see a replacement for Bowkett in the summer. As it stands it seems only McNally is operating an Executive Director. Hopefully Bowkett will remain on the board in some capacity though.

I am on nightshift, so just got up.Have we slipped into the bottom three while I was asleep?

Well no additions whilst Palace and Fulham have made significant additions and Cardiff and Sunderland have also strengthened. The failure to have some investment when others scrapping at the bottom is either brave or reckless. Only time will tell but tea time Saturday after today''s games will give us a good idea.

quote user="ricardo"quote user="Bury Green"What are you going on about?

I can''t for the life of me think that any one person on this message board wants us to go down, regrettably though it seems as though it is becoming more of a reality than many of us had feared /quote

The problem seems to be your grasp of reality. Why did you think that this season would not be a struggle? Every season is a struggle in this league and we are no different from a dozen other clubs all in the same boat. Spending fortunes won''t alter that, some will survive and some won''t . After a dozen games we were in the bottom five, the pattern was set and nothing has changed. It will be a fight to the bitter end between many clubs and there will be only a few points in it.Those who thought we would sit comfortably in midfield are no doubt disappointed but that''s just a symptom of their failure to admit to the reality of our position. We are small fish in a big pond and those who think differently will be doomed to continual disappointment./quote

Yet again Ricardo hits the nail firmly on the head.

There are many teams around us who have been in the league much longer than us and who are right in the fight to avoid being in the bottom three at the end of the season.

It will take us many more seasons of slowly building up the quality of our squad to a point where we might assume we have enough to be safely mid-table. And that is not guaranteed either. Newcastle are currently in the position where many would like us to be, but only last season the Magpies had a huge dip in league form due to their European commitments.

Posters really do need to adjust their expectations because we are still a small club (without resorting to the little old Norwich tag) operating in the toughest football league in the world.

[quote user="morty"]I am on nightshift, so just got up.

Have we slipped into the bottom three while I was asleep?
[/quote]

No Mr Morty thats in about two weeks time.[:S]

There are those who attempt to clique control this forum, first one will turn up on a negative club post , followed by their ever reliable back-up......Those ''anti club insurgents'' who dare raise concerns, question or criticise anything concerning NCFC......aren''t loyal or ''true supporters''.....and are therefore, in false possession of NCFC season tickets and occupy NCFC stadium seats under false pretences.....Thus, depriving the true ''subservient and accept anything, nodding forelock tugging donkeys'' an opportunity to enter the walls of the NCFC stadium on match days to clap an'' cheer till the blisters burst on their palms and until they have no vocal chords.....Just because we won a throw-in....Bless ''em.....

The ''clique'' will have us believe it was those ''Moaning Minnie''s'' that were the only reason (if) we unfortunately went down  

That way, the ''clique control'' don''t have to criticise the Majority Shareholding Duo, the NCFC board - or the coaching staff including the squad....If we do go down.....

And there are those who attempt to control this forum who have their personal scapegoats ready at the first sign of a struggle. In their minds it kind of absolves them of being part of the club when the results are poor. If the results then pick up these scapegoats are put away and they are once again happy to be part of the club under same majority shareholders, NCFC board or managing and coaching staff inclding squad... if we do push for top half....

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

And there are those who attempt to control this forum who have their personal scapegoats ready at the first sign of a struggle. In their minds it kind of absolves them of being part of the club when the results are poor. If the results then pick up these scapegoats are put away and they are once again happy to be part of the club under same majority shareholders, NCFC board or managing and coaching staff inclding squad... if we do push for top half....

[/quote]

If we go down, who are you going to apportion blame to, as you certainly won''t criticise anything concerning those who currently run or represent the club in any shape or form? 

Better for you to discredit and apportion blame to the likes of me, it''s easier......Diversion and confusion is good....

When this Board was appointed we were in the third tier for the first time in 50 years. They inherited a manager who, whilst a club legend as a player and much respected for his charity work in the city, was not suitable for the role. They had the banks breathing down their necks and we were lucky to avoid administration.

Their plan originally was, I think, to make it to the Premiership in 5 seasons. This is the 5th season.

So given that we are actually completing our 3rd season in the top flight, and we are free of external debt, it''s a little tough to accuse them of negligence.

What they need to do now though is find a way to increase the wage budget so that when the likes of Holtby or Zaha of Fabio become available we can compete for them. It seems that at the moment we can''t whilst most of our rivals can. At some point soon they have to be willing to take a bit of a risk in order to attract some quality, and to provide more strength in depth.

We don''t want to go down, obviously not. But I don''t think we should be quite as fearful of it as we were before. If it does happen the Board''s strategy will have put us in a much stronger position than most relegated clubs are, certainly than we were before. Debt free in the Championship is almost unheard of.

Regardless of the outcome I personally think Hughton should go at the end of the season because of the style of football he serves up. It is much better to make a change then so that the new incumbent has time to plan pre-season and refresh his squad.

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

If we go down, who are you going to apportion blame to, as you certainly won''t criticise anything concerning those who currently run or represent the club in any shape or form? 

Better for you to discredit and apportion blame to the likes of me, it''s easier......Diversion and confusion is good....

[/quote]

I don''t have any need to apportion blame. Have I apportioned blame to the likes of you in previous relegations?

I shared a brief post comment with Nutty earlier in the year when he asked me when I had said we had to trust the board to act when time was right. Nutty was right to ask me too. I have to say that for the last month I have lost that trust. I thought they should have dismissed him. I understand the risk we would be taking but have felt we as a club have been on such a long decline which only had one trajectory. I''m not a fanatical Hughton outer. He is not the devil and I feel he cares like we do. But in the final analysis I am of the view that it is the Board''s responsibility in the main that we are in the position we are in. I fear the worst. I really hope that I have egg on my face in a month or two. I feel unfortunately that the team are going to end up in the bottom three in the next 2 to 3 weeks. I see a team shot of confidence and with no momentum. I truly hope we win at Cardiff, pray for a draw. I simply see a big defeat. God, how much risk am I taking saying this 30 minutes before kick off! We cannot simply keep shouting " Hughton Out" .....how come the board cannot see what seemingly thousands of fans do? The Board is ultimately responsible for acting. In doing so they take a risk but this is the time for acting. Easy being an armchair expert isn''t it. But we as fans have a right to give our opinions.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t have any need to apportion blame. Have I apportioned blame to the likes of you in previous relegations?

[/quote]

You''ve avoided my question directed to you, you''re pretty good at that.

I said "If we go down, who are you going to apportion blame to, as you certainly won''t criticise anything concerning those who currently run or represent the club in any shape or form? Maybe I should have asked you in layman''s terms...."Hypothetically, if we are relegated to the Championship, what would in your personal opinion be, regarding the reasons for our failure to retain our Premiership status, actually be, and who would you apportion that blame to? 

I also didn''t state or insinuate in my second quote, that you have previously apportioned blame to myself or to the likes of me in previous relegations, you made that up for effect.....You have however, stated in previous posts when discussing the tenure of the current manager, that you are happy (or words to that effect) to allow the NCFC board to decide whether the manager is retained or relieved of his current duties. Does that mean that if we are ''hypothetically speaking'' unfortunately relegated, that the NCFC Board would be deemed culpable in any way for our relegation?  

Regarding my comment for you to apportion blame to the likes of me (and my supposed ilk).....I just thought it would allow you use me and my ''ilk'' as an excuse for our ''hypothetical'' relegation.....Because, as I have noticed in passing for the short time I have contributed to this forum, you are loathe to criticise anything concerning those who currently run or represent the club in any shape or form.....Maybe you wish to be anointed 2014-15 fan of the season?  

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I said "If we go down, who are you going to apportion blame to, as you certainly won''t criticise anything concerning those who currently run or represent the club in any shape or form? Maybe I should have asked you in layman''s terms...."Hypothetically, if we are relegated to the Championship, what would in your personal opinion be, regarding the reasons for our failure to retain our Premiership status, actually be, and who would you apportion that blame to? 

I also didn''t state or insinuate in my second quote, that you have previously apportioned blame to myself or to the likes of me in previous relegations, you made that up for effect.....You have however, stated in previous posts when discussing the tenure of the current manager, that you are happy (or words to that effect) to allow the NCFC board to decide whether the manager is retained or relieved of his current duties. Does that mean that if we are ''hypothetically speaking'' unfortunately relegated, that the NCFC Board would be deemed culpable in any way for our relegation?  

Regarding my comment for you to apportion blame to the likes of me (and my supposed ilk).....I just thought it would allow you use me and my ''ilk'' as an excuse for our ''hypothetical'' relegation.....Because, as I have noticed in passing for the short time I have contributed to this forum, you are loathe to criticise anything concerning those who currently run or represent the club in any shape or form.....Maybe you wish to be anointed 2014-15 fan of the season?  

[/quote]

I''ve now read this 3 times and still have no idea what you are going on about. This apportioning blame is a bit pathetic. Why is it neccessary to apportion blame without even knowing all the facts. If we get relegated I think I''ll get in touch with the Pru. Where there''s blame there''s claim...

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''ve now read this 3 times and still have no idea what you are going on about. This apportioning blame is a bit pathetic. Why is it neccessary to apportion blame without even knowing all the facts. If we get relegated I think I''ll get in touch with the Pru. Where there''s blame there''s claim...

[/quote]

What/who will you actually claim against.....? It certainly won''t be the NCFC board or anything/anyone representing or remotely or slightly connected to the club.....So therefore, who does that leave?.....

I''ll have to wait and see what you do I guess. It could be like PPI where I could claim against the club for the cost of my season ticket on the basis that they didn''t explain properly that we may lose more games than I''d have wished.