Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Board and Managerial Negligence if we go Down

There are several hours of the transfer window left but the general feel about the club it that we can forget any inspirational signing which would inject much needed momentum into a misfiring squad.

January is a difficult time and yes prices are over the odds but Norwich and a host of other clubs hover on the brink of relegation. Two Palace and Sunderland have already made excellent strategic changes in their inspirational managers who will in all probability succeed in securing their clubs survival. Others such as cardiff,WBA and Fulham have made managerial changes which are far less convincing.

For whatever reasons we have missed the opportunity to make a positive managerial change and must nervously see if Hughton can guide us to survival.

That leads me to the second element of survival the transfer window. The right and wrong choices of various clubs at the bottom in January will decide their fate in a relegation contest too close to call.

The embarrassment of the first half performance against a cavalier Newcastle should make us worry. Norwich have some very solid players but very few if any who stand out. It seem obvious to all that Hooper and RVW do not compliment each other and either would probably blossom in better sides with a target man and better service from midfield. We are feeling the unexpected loss of Howson in midfield a great deal and are in desperate need of some flair in the middle of the park.

yobo may be a sensible short term fix in defense but is no more than that and is unlikely to have any major impact on events.

Rightly or wrongly the Board have stuck with Hughton, but if they were going to do so they could not afford to look any further than the end of this season, we need to remain inn the EPL or all the planning goes completely out of the window and we will be like many other relegated clubs be picking up the pieces for seasons to come. If the Board were to stick with Hughton then they needed to back him with a couple of inspirational albeit probably expensive sightings in central midfield and

attack to change the course of this season. They seem to have done neither ie kept the manager and not invested in the areas that are jumping out for improvement. As said the next few hours may surprise us but is suspect they will not. If we go down there will be one almighty inquest at the end of the day as to what has gone wrong since a club in our financial position at the end of last season with some decent players should have done a lot lot better

I agree.  I can understand the Board''s decision to stick with Hughton (I would probably do the same), but the decision not to spend any significant money in the January transfer window is definitely a gamble which if we do end up getting relegated will see them massively criticised.

Having said this, it is always easy for us fans to say "spend more money now !".  We don''t have to deal with the consequences of having spent that money later on. 

Also making big signings are no guarantee - look at West Ham with Andy Carroll.

But in the end, things are so close from Villa downwards in the Prem, that it is a concern for me that we haven''t really strengthened in key areas in this window.  I''m not counting on any more signings today either.

I think that the Board have done a little more than nothing. We have signed two additional players whose combined wages could be as much as a million pounds by the end of the season.

We have sold Ayala, covered this, and Turner''s clearly serious injury, until then by signing Yobo. We have added Gutierrez, to add versatility and strength to the midfield.

Big signings were never really a possibility, given Hughton''s reluctance to deal in January and the premium that has to be paid then, as Yorkshire Canary recognises.

To be fair to Hughton, he has said that he will go with what he has, and the Board have added two players as insurance against injury.

I am not a great Hughton fan, and I hope that he will not be with us for too much longer, The Board may feel that they were too encouraged by the narrow win over Hull, and committed themselves to Hughton rather than a new unknown, but is that negligence?

They will live or die on the judgment call they have made. If Hughton keeps us up then they will feel vindicated (although we will obviously never know if we would have improved under a new manager and I still feel change in the summer will be essential) but if we go down then they have to take the blame.

Its not as if we have had a sudden slump of form or us being relegated would be a shock. We''ve all been able to see for a long time that things are not right with this management team, there have been plenty of opportunities for the board to change it and was time for them to do so early enough to let a new man come in and bring in some players in this window. They chose not to. Thdey will ultimately be judged on that decision.

I do tend to agree, however, that if it transpires Hughton is not being allowed to spend as much as he might have been in this window because of concerns at board level over his future then in my book that would amount to negligence/incompetence because if they feel that way then there is no way he should still be our manager. Having made the call to keep him they have to back him to the hilt.

On the last point, maybe McNally is starving hoot''s of funds hoping this makes him walk without having to pay the last year on his contract.

But it''s bloody sods law that the Messiah was on a 1 year rolling yet this "bell" was put on a 3 year.

TYPICAL

Board and Managerial Negligence if we go Down?

Yes

Board and Managerial Sucess if we stay up?

Noo buh! Hootun out buh! *wipes drool*

[quote user="Troll-op"]On the last point, maybe McNally is starving hoot''s of funds hoping this makes him walk without having to pay the last year on his contract.

But it''s bloody sods law that the Messiah was on a 1 year rolling yet this "bell" was put on a 3 year.

TYPICAL[/quote]

Would that not be illogical since CH failing would also mean us going down.

You talking about 2 million cost of sacking the guy compared to tens of millions of lost revenue.

CH is doing a boring but effective job by picking up points against those teams around us.

By not sacking him they have backed him.

Our

It''s certainly a fair and valid question to raise and, hand on heart, was never something if have thought possible given the events of the last few seasons.

Where once the current board were beyond reproach and the AGM was little more than going to church and asking who believes in God then certainly the last six to nine months have had a very different feel about them.

A quick trip around Google shows the Chairman has been very busy with his raft of other business interests and activities, who could possibly blame him for that, the greater questions will most certainly fall at the feet of our Chief Executive.

If the very worst we''re to happen and we did get relegated then surely the brunt of this will lay at his feet, to have kept a badly misfiring managerial team and then to have not really back them through the January Transfer Window is almost ''lemming like'' in its magnitude?

If we do survive I''m sure all will be sweetness and light come the summer when I''m sure we will see a change to the management team, perhaps we will pull a rabbit out of the hat tonight and bring in a quality reinforcement or two but as it stands it''s not looking terribly positive

I really do want to be 101% wrong with all of this I hasten to add, it''s just I''m getting that awful Mick Wadsworth feeling once again......

Oh alright then, it''s rather hard to be a coward in an event you don''t have any control over?

It''s all about opinions, which as we know are like arseholes, everybody''s got one but some really stink bad.

Mentioning no names of course.

Hoping to be proven wrong effectively means you aren''t confident In Your opinion and if you aren''t confident in your opinion then I have no time for it good sir.

What are you going on about?

I can''t for the life of me think that any one person on this message board wants us to go down, regrettably though it seems as though it is becoming more of a reality than many of us had feared given the perceived and indeed tangible lack of activity in the clubs overall governance.

The last time the supporters truly made a discernible difference to the clubs governance we had police horses on Carrow Road and on a more positive front backing two share issues. Beyond that and generally following the lads around the land what else can any of us do?

So as I intimated previously, all that remains is to observe what''s going on and to express and opinion on a forum such as this.

So for the benefit of doubt I will reiterate both my stance and I suspect the stance of many others, the lack of positive action from the very top of the clubs management structure leads me to think that come May we may well pay the price.

It''s not what I want to happen, it''s what I think could and indeed possibly will happen and it really isn''t so very hard to comprehend?

''Nero fiddled whilst Rome burned'' or something along those lines

That was the least interesting thing I''ve ever heard anyone say bury and all I can pick out of it is you want to be proven right.

When we stay up, you''ll be gutted, but that''s fine. You''ll have company.

"Hoping to be proven wrong effectively means you aren''t confident In Your opinion and if you aren''t confident in your opinion then I have no time for it good sir."

That''s bull$hit! A lot of my friends are confident in their opinion that we will go down with Hughton in charge! They hope to be proved wrong as they don''t want the club to be regulated Nayul!

You''re confident in your opinion we will stay up because it is a positive outcome. Why on Earth would you want to be proved wrong with that? You can still be confident in your opinion of what''s going to happen, and hope that it doesn''t!

[quote user="Buh"]That was the least interesting thing I''ve ever heard anyone say bury and all I can pick out of it is you want to be proven right.

When we stay up, you''ll be gutted, but that''s fine. You''ll have company.[/quote]

Say what bubba?

Until McNally tweets that our business is done I will live in hope that a central midfielder is in the pipe line ... If we sign no one else I will be frustrated ... So long to plan for this ... Obvious weakness (not more than a single goal in 48/61) league games ... And SURELY decent money set aside for this window?

"''Nero fiddled whilst Rome burned'' or something along those lines"

Could well be a description of the Chairman "being very busy with his raft of other business interests and activities" rather than an excuse you couldn''t blame him for. But the truth of that seems to be that Bowkett believes his work with the balance sheet, his area of expertise, is done. Did he have nothing to do with the football side then? Possibly not.

Anybody can be seen to be negligent with hindsight which would include events still to happen. But that would be more of an inquest. It''s the calls made now which would have kept the patient alive.

My opinion now is that they are not being negligent because we have not shown any sign of falling into the bottom three so the gamble would all be in a change of manager. As for the transfer market I believe QPR were among the big spenders last season and that didn''t end well.  Again I believe a panic signing could do more harm than good.

There was never going to be a big signing in this window, that was made clear at the AGM. If reinforcements are needed or cover required then they will dip into the market. That already seems to have been done.I think that unless somebody moves out, nobody will move in.

Lol of course Nutty, I think man city spent a lot also.... ended terribly for them didn''t it?? yes I know they didn''t win the league but they look a force this season don''t they????

I think we are going down no two ways about it , we looked the worst side in the division and that was before the others strengthened .

[quote user="Troll-op"]Lol of course Nutty, I think man city spent a lot also.... ended terribly for them didn''t it?? yes I know they didn''t win the league but they look a force this season don''t they????[/quote]

Think Man City spent a big fat zero to be fair....

Where as QPR...

Loïc Remy (Marseille, undisclosed), Tal Ben Haim (unattached), Yun Suk-Young (Chunnam Dragons, undisclosed), Chris Samba (Anzhi Makhachkala) £12.5m, Jermaine Jenas (Tottenham, undisclosed), Andros Townsend (Tottenham, loan)

[quote user="Bury Green"]What are you going on about?

I can''t for the life of me think that any one person on this message board wants us to go down, regrettably though it seems as though it is becoming more of a reality than many of us had feared [/quote]The problem seems to be your grasp of reality. Why did you think that this season would not be a struggle? Every season is a struggle in this league and we are no different from a dozen other clubs all in the same boat. Spending fortunes won''t alter that, some will survive and some won''t . After a dozen games we were in the bottom five, the pattern was set and nothing has changed. It will be a fight to the bitter end between many clubs and there will be only a few points in it.Those who thought we would sit comfortably in midfield are no doubt disappointed but that''s just a symptom of their failure to admit to the reality of our position. We are small fish in a big pond and those who think differently will be doomed to continual disappointment.

TBF Ricardo I thought hooton would learn from last season and push on this. Has he?? NO NO NO he hasn''t were worse than last season and if we''re in the bottom 3 four games from the end then we''re foooked

Or worse we go down by one point, I''d look straight to the ten man hull game where we had them on the ropes and clueless had no idea how to capitalise with the extra man. You dam well we would of won that game under Lambert, god I miss him it''s like the stunning ex that dumped you, u hate, you love and you just can''t forget her and you only remember the good. I NEED that level of excitement again on a Saturday. The thinking how many will we get not the I hope we can score one and keep them out.

[quote user="Troll-op"]TBF Ricardo I thought hooton would learn from last season and push on this. Has he?? NO NO NO he hasn''t were worse than last season and if we''re in the bottom 3 four games from the end then we''re foooked[/quote]If you look you''ll find the whole bottom half of the league is worse than last season. Now that could be because we are all worse or perhaps its just that the top half is so much better. I don''t know, it could be either.We will only be foooked if we are in the bottom 3 after 38 games. At the moment I am happy to be on 24 points and not 19.