Sign in to follow this  
Simple Jack

Calling all Wolf apologists

Well, well, well. Do you have any excuses left? That must rate as one of the limpest performances ever in a Norwich shirt. Weak, clueless, spineless and inept. Did absolutely nothing to our advantage. The game changed when he left the field - and his sprint to the dugout was the fastest he moved all night. I''m no great fan of Elmander but we actually had some attacking intent and purpose with his introduction.

So, here we go. "He doesn''t get any service" - Hooper and Elmander got attempts on - you have to make things happen for yourself sometimes. "He''s been injured" - and he hasn''t recovered from his twisted sock yet? "He make great runs and has great vision" - errh, no, he strolls around aimlessly and rarely if ever gets in even a potential scoring position.

Face the facts. He''s useless and we''ve done our money. He looks like the useless kid who gets a game for the school team when they''re really short of numbers.

RVW was clearly told to play deeper than Hooper - at times hes was 20/30yards behind him. I have always thought he was a striker who wants the ball in the box. We have all seen what Hooper can do from outside the box - so why was Hooper the player not playing just behind RVW instead of the other way round?

RVW looked lost in the withdrawn role

[quote user="Simple Jack"]Well, well, well. Do you have any excuses left? That must rate as one of the limpest performances ever in a Norwich shirt. Weak, clueless, spineless and inept. Did absolutely nothing to our advantage. The game changed when he left the field - and his sprint to the dugout was the fastest he moved all night. I''m no great fan of Elmander but we actually had some attacking intent and purpose with his introduction.

So, here we go. "He doesn''t get any service" - Hooper and Elmander got attempts on - you have to make things happen for yourself sometimes. "He''s been injured" - and he hasn''t recovered from his twisted sock yet? "He make great runs and has great vision" - errh, no, he strolls around aimlessly and rarely if ever gets in even a potential scoring position.

Face the facts. He''s useless and we''ve done our money. He looks like the useless kid who gets a game for the school team when they''re really short of numbers.[/quote]He is probably down on confidence and frankly wondering why on earth he agreed to come play for us under a clueless manager! Add to that the non atmosphere due to the manager sucking the life out of the club. He is probably wondering when his nightmare will end, what amazes me, is why our clueless manager purchased a striker that thrives on through balls not crosses when that is his one and only game plan and style of play! Add to that the fact the crosses come from raw talent with no end product and one footed "undroppable" one foot and he probably wonders why he bothers. But hey lets blame him!

I still think he will come good, we have to give it time - tbh it is a shame there''s no real reserve side nowadays for a striker to re-find his form, it seems he can only do it during first team action. Oh, and supporters getting on his back is really going to help.....

He might be a good player, in the right team. Maybe a French or Dutch side. Maybe Swansea, or Liverpool. Maybe even in a Norwich team with a midfield playmaker. To be honest, what he might be in a different team is irrelevant.

As is the debate about whether he gets service, because the manager isn''t going to change the way we play any time soon. The fact is that in Hughton''s Norwich team, with no midfield playmaker, and which has its only creativity on the wings, there is simply no point playing RvW, however much we spent on him. Today, we we might as well have played with ten men, for all he contributed.

I saw a novelty greeting card today. It read "Beer will change the world, I''m not sure how, but it will".

I think you''re saying the same thing.

[quote user="Empty Mirror"]He might be a good player, in the right team. Maybe a French or Dutch side. Maybe Swansea, or Liverpool. Maybe even in a Norwich team with a midfield playmaker. To be honest, what he might be in a different team is irrelevant.

As is the debate about whether he gets service, because the manager isn''t going to change the way we play any time soon. The fact is that in Hughton''s Norwich team, with no midfield playmaker, and which has its only creativity on the wings, there is simply no point playing RvW, however much we spent on him. Today, we we might as well have played with ten men, for all he contributed.[/quote]
In other words we''ve spunked £8.5m on an Audi engine and stuck in in an Austin Allegro.

It would be interesting to hear what RVW thought what was the role he was moving to Norwich to fulfil and what style of football he imagined Norwich were going to play.

I think he may have been sold a false prospectus which, if so, will mean he is likely to leave in the summer (Fer may be in a similar boat).  If not, he is a remarkably selfless striker willing to forego his own improvement/fulfilment for the sake of the team.

I''m not going to write RVW off and infact he played very well against Hull - better than Hooper for a large part of the match.

But tonight he simply wasn''t good enough and there''s no getting away from that - regardless of the service to him or the role he was being asked to play.

"or the role he was being asked to play"

a role that involved him tracking back so far that he almost gave away a penalty in the 2nd half

otherwise I have to concur with Wooster - there must be a fair few who were targeted tracked and signed by the board only to find the team is managed by Mr Magoo

worryingly I fear there may be a fair few others looking to move unless Hughton goes soon

RVW is a striker! Simple as that. How much service has he had this season??? Next to nothing. Hughton paid good money for a striker who can score goals so based on that assumption don''t you think that the team would be set up to play to his strengths? We are technically way behind other teams. We don''t have the players to play all this close one touch football. Make the pitch bigger to create some space. Get the ball wide. There are choices! Attack the spaces more. The number of times Newcastle bypassed our midfield with the minimum of passes was embarrassing. Does RVW get that kind of space and service?

No because we are so slow in getting the ball forward that RVW and Hooper don''t have a great deal of space to work in or to run into. RVW is playing under the wrong type of manager. Create chances for him before judging him.

I''ve said before (in effect) that Wolf isn''t a alpha male.  If he was, he''d be more vocal and demanding of his supporting players.  He needs to put his foot down and tell his team mates what he wants.
Take Holt, he was never backward in coming forwards for what he expected in terms of service.  Wolf needs to do the same.

Is the OP not bright enough to come up with anything other than the most over used word on this forum "apologists"! I don''t see anybody apologising for the way he is playing(or lack of) just people making a reasoned examples of why he is not scoring.

He didn''t do himself any favours tonight.  However, it''s clear that Hooper and RVW don''t work as a striker partnership either.  Both want to play on the shoulder of the last defender.  Both are reluctant to play second fiddle or the support role to the other.Elmander or Becchio should be paired with one of them if Hughton really wants to persist with two up top.That would leave Hughton with an awkward choice though, as right now Hooper looks the better player. But RVW''s transfer fee may well dictate that Hughton starts him.

[quote user="Simple Jack"]I think what you''re saying John is that Wolf is a useless pansy. I concur.[/quote]
Well put it this way, he needs to get a backbone in this league.  Hughton''s tactics aren''t helping, but for his own self respect he needs to step up.

No, there are lots of increasingly lame excuses being made for why he never scores/does anything to the team advantages. These excuses are advocated by "apologists". The plain truth is that he is useless and a complete and utter waste of money.

[quote user="InchY_barn door_wolfswinkel"]Is the OP not bright enough to come up with anything other than the most over used word on this forum "apologists"! I don''t see anybody apologising for the way he is playing(or lack of) just people making a reasoned examples of why he is not scoring.[/quote]er Inchy - that is what apologists do.  Apologists dont "apologise" they make a reasoned defense of something controversial or unpopular

An apologist is a person who argues in favor of something unpopular. If you''re an apologist

for deep sea oil drilling, you would argue that drilling in the ocean

is necessary and the benefits make up for any environmental damage.

Apologists tend to be seen in a negative light, as defensive people who make excuses. The word apologist comes from the Greek word apologia, meaning "speaking in defense." Not all apologists are bad news; some just defend an unpopular idea. Even though apologist is similar to apology, don''t confuse them — if you make an apology you''re admitting to being wrong. But if you''re an apologist, you justify your belief or action, and would do it all again!

anyway - despite the semantic pedantry, i can only agree with Simple Jack that we have done our money on RVW and he looks pathetically lightweight and ineffective.  More than half a season gone and if we can get half our money back we will have done well,  To be made to look awful by Elmander is some achievement!!

Branston Pickle wrote the following post at 2014-01-29 2:43 AM:

I still think he will come good, we have to give it time - tbh it is a shame there''s no real reserve side nowadays for a striker to re-find his form, it seems he can only do it during first team action. Oh, and supporters getting on his back is really going to help.....

He has little chance of ever ''coming good'' under the guidance of Hughton, Calderwood and Trollope.

Grant Holt was lamented by many last season when he spoke up regarding his lack of goals and why?

The same applies. Strikers DO NOT score with the tactics being employed.

I''m not disagreeing it''s just this whole new "apologists" thing that comes up over and over these days. Think up some more original insults for fellow fans. That mob over the border must be loving the in fighting going on here.

So we have a striker who was out injured for several weeks and struggles to find form when returning into a team with a depleted midfield. I''d say we ought to reserve judgement, at least until we can play him in a team featuring Howson and Tettey.

The worry for me is that he does not even have the basics. His touch, control and passing are a million miles away from being Premier League standard.

JonnyH wrote the following post at 2014-01-29 6:01 AM:

So we have a striker who was out injured for several weeks and struggles to find form when returning into a team with a depleted midfield. I''d say we ought to reserve judgement, at least until we can play him in a team featuring Howson and Tettey.

WHAT FORM? He has never had ANY playing for NCFC. how long can one player use injury as an excuse fir the totally limp and pathetic performances he has produced on a regular basis! At 8.5 million he is a total waste of money.

[quote user="City 2nd"]JonnyH wrote the following post at 2014-01-29 6:01 AM:

WHAT FORM? He has never had ANY playing for NCFC. how long can one player use injury as an excuse fir the totally limp and pathetic performances he has produced on a regular basis! At 8.5 million he is a total waste of money.[/quote]Goalless runs like this have happened to better strikers than RVW. Just looks like a lack of confidence and a bit of fear and panic have crept into his game. The press articles saying he''s off this window back to the Netherlands are utterly stupid.

" ....because we are so slow in getting the ball forward that RVW and Hooper don''t have a great deal of space to work in or to run into...."

This for me - persisting with Snodgrass mainly -, is why CH (or his coaching staff) need to be replaced.

It''s almost criminal how slow and one dimensional our attacks are.... how are our strikers supposed to score goals when we play like that week in, week out? Even that very first friendly against Ajax, the writing was on the well. We have signed good players, but by no stretch of the imagination are we getting the best out of them.

[quote user="Barossa"]The worry for me is that he does not even have the basics. His touch, control and passing are a million miles away from being Premier League standard.[/quote]That is the concern that I''ve been having over the last few games, and it was really demonstrated last night.On the one hand he does not just become cr@p player overnight, on the other, perhaps there was someting in what people said in the summer that there is a big gap between the Dutc/Portuguese Leagues and the EPL.Whatever, he looks shorn of technique and confidence. Is this due to Hughton or was it there any way ?  In other words, which came first...the chicken or the egg ?The evidence against Hughton re this is beginning to stack up though. There are too many once prolific strikers, who, once subjected to the Hughton magic, cannot hit a cow''s @rse with a banjo. No coincidence.

Over the years we have had strikers who, for what ever the reason, look the part.

As a case in point Flecky was on the pitch before kick off, for those of us who are old enough to remember his presence on the pitch always left you with the sense that''d he''d score or at the very least get in a scrap and raise the atmosphere by several degrees. He could compete at the highest level with the very best.

Chris Sutton, even as a twenty one year old his physical presence, touch, pace all made him look perfectly at home in the top tier.

Dean Ashton, utterly sublime on his day, going back much further a young Fash had all the abilities to terrify a defender and of course score the goals.

The list goes on but what strikes me more than anything about RVW is, given his mighty price tag, he simply doesn''t have the presence on the pitch to suggest he''s got a cats chance in hell of succeeding in the EPL.

Last night as a case in point, I think it was Taylor that tackled him hard and it looked like an Under14 hitting the deck, completely blown away. Similarly when we played Man U, think it might have been Vidic but RVW looked like confetti not a £8.5m striker.

I''m sure he would score a hat load of gaols elsewhere in Europe but as we know the EPL is a ruthless environment that I really don''t think he will ever succeed in

Granted a different managerial team might get more out of him but for me at least and assuming we survive this season we will need to deal with the problem sooner rather than later.