Sign in to follow this  
Perky Canary

4-3-3 is the key.

For me, we can compete, and maybe come away with something against Man City if we play 4-3-3. The one formation that had that spark, that excitement, the one where we competed against Arsenal and Chelsea so well. Injuries however derailed this and upset the system. But with Tettey back, I think this is how we need to set up against Man City. While they average 4 goals a game so far, we know there away form can be iffy, these are the games they tend to concede goals in. Demichelis is there weak point in there defence, especially on the counter attack. We have looked strong on the counter at times this season, with the 4-3-3 formation being played, Ruddy launching balls straight out to Redmond on the left who soon rushes against the oppositions defence. I''ve seen this happen numerous times and this is when we look dangerous. With Zabaleta and Clichy always bolstering down the flanks for the Sky blues, I think we could take advantage of this. If we set up like this, I think we could cause an upset...hopefully, for all our sakes.

If I had to choose the starting 11, for me it would have to be:

Ruddy

Martin, Bennett, Bassong, Olsson

Fer, Tettey, Johnson

Snodgrass, Wolfswinkle, Redmond

Many of you would probably disagree with me on that, but I think it could cause problems, if we come out the same we have done previously with this formation, like at Stoke, like against Southampton, and allowed us to compete against Arsenal and Chelsea. For me this is the way forward, and the way to safety.

I think we should have been playing with a 3 man midfield all season.

Wouldn''t disagree with your selection, although I''d prefer Hooper to RVW on current form.

Should have added that I''d expect Hughton to go with a similar line up, except it''ll be Jonas in for Redmond, and he and Snodgrass will be deeper in a 5 man midfield to counter Citeh''s attacking threat.

It could be, so long as

1) The fullbacks are prepared to go forward - they are usually, especially Olsson who has pace enough to get back in time.

2) The wide men in front are willing to get back, able to tackle, and don''t stay wide and merely pump long crosses to a striker who is no more than average height.

Otherwise the best we can hope for is defensive lines of 3 and 4, rather than the ideal two lines of four, and the three man midfield will be narrow and could be overrun, as by Newcastle.

We shall obviously expect backs and wingers to cover a lot of ground, so there must be early substitutions before they are too tired.

If the team were to play 4-3-3 then surely you would have to consider that Jonas played well for Newcastle as a defensive midfielder on the left of a midfield 3 and that Hooper is the only striker currently offering much in front of goal.

The reason why I went for Wolfswinkle rather than Hooper, is because he is more used to the lone striker role, rather than Hooper who I think performs better with a foil playing just behind him. I thought went we played the 4-3-3 Wolfswinkle was exceptional with linking the play and taking pressure away from the defence, while he didn''t offer as much of a goal threat, I felt he was still gelling and didn''t fall in place as quickly as Fer and the others, and the injury has obviously stopped that as well. I still believe he can make a huge impact, but you can see he is low on confidence, and can feel the pressure because expectations were, and still are high. But to me he looked more comfortable as the lone striker and that is why I would choose him over Hooper. As for defending, I wouldn''t ask too much from Redmond as he would be the main source for the counter attack, so instead let Snodgrass drop in and Johnson come across to help Olsson. Or play Pilkington instead who for me is an in-between Gutierrez and Redmond, offering more defence quality than Redmond, but more attacking quality than Gutierrez.