Sign in to follow this  
dean

Hughton and this weekend

If we drop into the bottom three this weekend do you think the board will sack Hughton?

I interpreted McNally''s Radio Norfolk statement about keeping out of the bottom three as meaning that even if we drop in to the relegation places then he''ll probably get the chance to get us out of it. Again my interpretation, but I''m sure it means until the end of the season. Sadly.

Realistically its man city this weekend who are currently chasing the title not thinking about their holidays like last season-they won''t sack him if we lose. I''m not convinced they would if we were relegated either.....I still think they would give him 10 games. Then consider his position if we were not top 6.

[quote user="hurricane"]Realistically its man city this weekend who are currently chasing the title not thinking about their holidays like last season-they won''t sack him if we lose. I''m not convinced they would if we were relegated either.....I still think they would give him 10 games. Then consider his position if we were not top 6.[/quote]

And so the nightmare continues.

Hughton will be in deep thought about whether or not to wear the sweater. If it''s a mild day he may pull it off at half time or he might just sweat it out. Decisions, decisions?

It was inevitable that at some stage having gotten back into the premier league that we would find ourselves in this position at some stage - most people thought sooner rather than later - but we proved everyone wrong in our first 2 seasons- ironic that this season most of the pundits think we will be fine -in what has out if the 3 season being in the league seen us play some of our worst football!

The trouble is with all this "its Man City they won''t sack him is we lose" and "10 more games" etc etc business is that its never ending. So is the bottom 3. If we lose next weekend and drop into the bottom 3 is hughton suddenly a worse manager than he is today with us on the verge of dropping into the bottom 3. To wait until you drop into the bottom 3 completely misses the point of why you make a managerial change. It should be pre-emptive based on 14 months of utter cr*p rather than reactive when it will be too late.

Our manager is either good enough in which case he keeps his job or he''s not good enough in which case he should be sacked. I really do not think whether we are in the bottom 3 at any given moment of time should be definitive.

Hughton must be on his 9th life now. Whoever manages the club v man City is on a hiding so may as well be him. There after is another matter with the 6 pointer v West Ham coming up. Stiff test for a new manager or last chance for Hughton. If we lose to West Ham it must be the end for Hughton but we all know he pulls a result out just as his P45 is being written out to ensure the torment continues. To be clear regardless of who is in charge i hope we get a result at West ham. Anything less than a good thumping on Saturday will be a bonus with our team shell shocked after the Cardiff loss

I''m glad that dean didn''t write, "If we lose this weekend" because the result must be a nailed-on certainty. Whether we drop into the bottom three is another matter, because it depends on other results.

Also certain is that if we drop into the relegation zone, it is a nailed-on certainty that they will persevere with Hughton. There is an asymmetry here - one win and he''s a saviour, continuing defeats and we wait to see if he can become a saviour.

I would have thought that 1.5 seasons would have been long enough to judge how effective a manager Hughton is. The fact that his strikers can''t strike, despite all sorts of changes, and the defence self-destructs and rolls over. How much more evidence do they need?

We could have the very unlikely scenario soon of a point gained against Man City, - "one point and he continues as saviour", even if we lose three games following.

My view is that they have had many chances after dire performance and poor results, they didn''t take the action required, and they are unlikely to even if we suffer another mauling on Saturday. Four, five, six without reply. Place your bet!

If we do get relegated and it''s a close thing ie last couple of games of the season I definitely can see the board sticking with the manager and giving him until Christmas, given how much time they have given him so far and that his record in the championship is not actually that bad. The only way I think he will go is if we manage to survive - paying him off and giving a new manager a close and pre season with some money to spend.

Sadly no, Hughton is here for the season, I have no idea why such a decision was made but the sensible opportunity to initiate change has long passed. The only half sensible reason why they may have decided to stick with him is the lack of available managerial alternative.

Look at the appointments at other struggling clubs,

Cardiff - Ole - unproven manager no PL managerial experience.

West Brom, again no proven PL managerial experience

Sunderland - again, no proven PL managerial experience

The only exception is Tony P at Palace....

Whilst Hughton, IMO, is very poor I don''t see the appointment of an unproven Pl manager as an improvement unless it was a vastly experienced manager whom we could not attract. I''m all for appointing someone new, even inexperienced but mid season when facing relegation it''s a gamble, probably just as much as a gamble as sticking with Hughton.

They only way I see hughton going before the end of the season is if our relegation is confirmed, that we we start to rebuild early.