Sign in to follow this  
Hughtons P45

3 up 3 down on Talksport

Adrian Durham "Redmond what a great player he is, I just don''t know how he''s not starting games"

Don''t normally agree with him on much if anything, however he''s got it spot on this time.

If Redmond was playing and Snodgrass was on the bench he would probably be saying "how is Snodgrass not playing games".

For me its obvious why Redmond now isn''t starting.
He looked more dangerous in 15 mins against Cardiff than he did over about his last five starts.
He got burned out a little, and still needs to learn when to pass/shoot/cross. His low shots are very dangerous, he wins corners from them and they could just as easily be pushed back out to Hooper or someone to smash back in goal. His crossing is also pretty good when he tries. But its the half dozen shots blasted over the goal when he cuts in from a good crossing position that needs to be reduced.
Clearly a fantastic prospect, he''s 19. We''ve already seen how players like Martin, Bennett, Howson, Snodgrass even Johnson have progressed since joining at ages like 23/24. Now we have a 19 year year old who is already putting in very good performances and will only get better over the next few seasons.
Don''t think he should be starting at the moment, not now we have Jonas and Pilks back fit. He''s a fantastic impact player against tiering defenders. At the moment we need the experience starting.

quote user="Gingerpele"For me its obvious why Redmond now isn''t starting.
He looked more dangerous in 15 mins against Cardiff than he did over about his last five starts.
He got burned out a little, and still needs to learn when to pass/shoot/cross. His low shots are very dangerous, he wins corners from them and they could just as easily be pushed back out to Hooper or someone to smash back in goal. His crossing is also pretty good when he tries. But its the half dozen shots blasted over the goal when he cuts in from a good crossing position that needs to be reduced.
Clearly a fantastic prospect, he''s 19. We''ve already seen how players like Martin, Bennett, Howson, Snodgrass even Johnson have progressed since joining at ages like 23/24. Now we have a 19 year year old who is already putting in very good performances and will only get better over the next few seasons.
Don''t think he should be starting at the moment, not now we have Jonas and Pilks back fit. He''s a fantastic impact player against tiering defenders. At the moment we need the experience starting.
/quote

Totally agree Gingerpele. Great potential but his final ball is generally awful. He gets in great positions with his pace but his end product isn''t there yet. Impact off the bench is ideal right now.

In 2-3 years I think we''ll have a hell of a player on our hands if he can improve that aspect of his game.

He needs to be able to mix his game up. Any Prem defence can quickly work him out &, no matter how rapid & skilful he is, they''ll find a way of reducing his threat.

This isn''t a criticism as such. He is still very inexperienced, but seems to have the right attitude to learn & develop - rather as Walcott has done.

I have high expectations for him - in a season or two.

I think he is probably our most dangerous player on the ball, and if you want to create chances either on the counter attack as we often try to do, or in an attempt to break down a disciplined defence, his pace and ability to carve a chance out for himself are ideal for either. Incidentally both of which are things that are often sorely missing from our attack.

He could be used as an impact sub, but I would much rather he made that impact at the beginning of the game to take us 1-0 up rather than bring him on when we are already losing. Personally I wouldn''t start him in every game, but certainly more often than not.

If he had been playing against Cardiff from the beginning there is an argument to be made that his extra attacking verve might have boosted us on to get the second goal in the first half, which then might have helped us to seal the win.

He''s easily our most threataning player. I think one more game of being on the bench until 60 mins (it''s Man City anyway) and then start him against West Ham and give him the licence to have a free role. Have Snoddy and Jonas on the wings and Redmond wherever pleases him in behind the striker.