Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

How will we do in the championship

Well considering the doom and gloom here and the ever increasing prospect of getting relegated, would we actually do any good in the Championship?

Now I know it''s a notoriously tough league to adapt to but how do you all think we''d do? Promoted straight back, first time of asking?

Who would stay and what would our team look like?

I think the first ones out of the door would be Bassong and Fer. Those two are probably too good for the championship even though they both have their off days.

I think the likes of Ruddy and Hooper and maybe Redmond would attract premiership interest, as would Olsson.

I reckon RVW and Garrido would go back abroad and Snodgrass would probably leave too.

Here''s what I think our 11 would start as:

Bunn, Martin, Turner, Bennett, Whittaker, Murphy, Tettey, Johnson, Pilkington, Howson, Becchio

I''d be excited to see what kids would be given a chance and I think it would freshen us up a bit, as it did Newcastle even if we didn''t get promoted first time of asking.

Well that''s a cheery thought.

If we did go down, I can''t see Howson staying, he''s far too good for the Championship. I''d expect Pilks to go too, although his injury record and inconsistency may put some off.

I was umming and arring over Howson and Pilks.

I think a couple of the "will probably go" players will stay and maybe it''d be them two that would leave. Pilks hasn''t got the best injury record though and has yet to test himself at championship level anyway :P

If he didn''t get in, we''d have Bennett anyway.

I think Redmond might be one that would stay, he''s only young and would be in no rush to push for a move. More games in the championship and he''d easily get a move back to the premiership anyway.

I just think at the moment, it''s tough to look past us staying up, but you could argue the same about the likes of Fulham, Stoke and Hull as well and only 3 can go down.

I would hope that a majority of the players, apart from maybe RVW, Fer and Snodgrass would hang around to help us back at the first time of asking. With the fact that we are externally debt free and would have a parchute payment due I think we could make a run at winning the league and get close to 100 points. If we get the right manager and players like Redmond, Hooper, Tettey and Howson are happy to hang around for a year.

Would be be top two in the Championship now how we have played this season ? no , would we bounce back like Qpr ? probably not. Mid table would be my guess.

"As we bounce back at the first time of asking" Yeah of course we will, just like last time, and we still had a smidgen of team spirit then. I''m not so sure if there will be this time. At least the happy clappers will get a few extra games in a season for the same price. Ooooh a nice away day at Leyton Orient, Barnsley or even Doncaster I''m salivating at the thought of it all. NOT!

Confidence matters hugely in the champ- as does having that little bit of extra quality up top.

Keeping Hooper and Redmond would be important.

And we would need to come flying out of the blocks. Which is where the danger lies in a league where anyone can beat anyone on their day. We would almost certainly suffer relegation hang over and struggle for a bit.

Worth asking just how many bounce back within the first season. The answer is not many. Most sink further or get bogged down...

What a lily-livered lot you are. There''s over a third of the season left and you have us relegated. We aren''t even in the bottom three. This PL is the tightest I''ve ever seen. The title race is open. There''s 7 teams with a realistic chance of a top four finish. At the other end there''s 8 points between 11 clubs and we''re right slap bang in the mioddle of that.

How would you lot feel if the board came out and said they were already planning for next season in the championship? Or if the manager and coaching staff had accepted relegation and were wondering what players to sign for the championship? Or if the players were looking to move on because they didn''t want to play in the championship? Would they be spineless? Would you want them associated with our club? I wonder what they make of you...

Agree NN I do not know why some come on the board just to be negative all the while, I have been a st holder for 28 years so have seen plenty of struggles but I could still not be as negative as some on here

I am aware it us all about opinions and many have lit stronger ones than me.

See if you still feel that way after another 3-4 games under negative chris Nutty!!

A third of the season left and we''re in decline GREAT, however under this great manager of our I''m sure we''ll turn it round Right?? WRONG he couldn''t organise the proverbial pee up in a brewery!

Last time we were in it, it took us one season to get out of it. We might have the same outcome again, but in the wrong direction.But then again, League 1 was fun too, wasn''t it?

League One was only fun because we stumbled across a rising star of a manager and got out of it at first attempt.

If we hadn''t have got straight back out we''d probably still be there now.

Remember that we were subsidised by the season ticket rebate and a big cash gift by Michael Foulger. That was a couple of million quid which was there for one season only.

Ok, I''ll play along.  We would offload our high earners and players unwilling to drop down a level.  Hughton would of course be removed, opening up a way back for players previously shut out, such as Fox, Surman and even Hoolahan.  Even without new signings we could have an average mid-table Championship team.  We could be the new Wigan - imagine that.  Living the dream!-------------------- Bunn ---------------------Whittaker    Martin   R.Bennett   OlsssonE. Bennett  --  Fox -- Johnson -- Surman---------------- Hoolahan ------------------------------------  Becchio ---------------------

We shall certainly lose some of our best players, and with the proceeds, annual TV money from this year plus umbrella money, we should be able to invest in young players, and build for the future.

I assume that we shall have a new manager to spend all the money, someone with keen intelligence and imagination, and with a good team to back him up.

It will be a shattering blow to be relegated, but it will put us back to where we were. It was almost unfortunate that Lambert got us promoted before we had consolidated, and thus had no large solid nucleus capable of playing at Premiership level. It will an enormous challenge, but quite exciting, if we can find the right manager.

The Championship team you propose will never take the field. Bunn out of contract also Fox and Surman. And for the info of the original poster Turner also out of contract. I don''t see we will ever see Wes in a City shirt again. We will need to invest around £10m to rebuild the squad. Have to hope we get top dollar for our better players little chance as a relegated club.

Look forward to a number of years in the wilderness.

It was just a bit of fun.  But for the record, Surman is contracted to 2015.  The club also has a further one-year option on both Fox and Bunn.

Sorry... ahs the season ended and we have been relegated already???

no???

so why give a shiny sh*t about a league we aint in?

Not very well, at least half of our ''stars'' will sod off for starters when we drop and if our damn useless and ineffective board stick with that clown of a manager and his two stooges we''re currently lumbered with .............I wouldn''t even rule out another relegation![:@]

How will we do?

It''s a good question, will Hughton still be in charge? Would we be better or worse off if we do keep him, he has a promotion on his CV after all?

Would the rot stop there? I''ve seen a couple of people make gentle nods towards League One but could we be the new Wolves? Has the whole club become so infected by failure that trying to arrest a decline of this magnitude would be futile? Do we need to hit rock bottom and start again?

It''s a sure bet that the playing staff will look a lot different, I doubt we''d need to put up with Snodgrass and his snail-like approach play and dreadful corners, we''ll probably have a more prolific strike partnership too as our misfiring mega-money misfits move on. That should give Becchio some game time if we can keep him and Xavid Foxiesta could force his way back in to the set up too. It will be interesting to see if we can blood some of the youth lads and also who''s services we can retain. Nathan Redmond for instance? Surely he''ll not be short of suitors this summer?

I''ve got more questions than answers but we will at least win a few more games (hopefully).

I think that due to Redmond being so young still, he''d maybe be prepared to see a season (or at least half of one) in the championship provided he started every game.

It would depend on the interest in him. Would he move back to the prem just to sit on the bench or to play for one of the relegation favourites? I doubt it.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I think that due to Redmond being so young still, he''d maybe be prepared to see a season (or at least half of one) in the championship provided he started every game. It would depend on the interest in him. Would he move back to the prem just to sit on the bench or to play for one of the relegation favourites? I doubt it.[/quote]

He moved to us and we are supposed relegation certainties.

He followed an old manager he had faith in and Birmingham had to sell. He''s that bit older now, so he''d want a bit of a better move than just to say Burnley or something where he could scrap for a place in a time that would most likely go down.

If someone like Everton came in for him, it''s a different matter.

I think i could have got that newcastle team promoted.

Krul, Simpson, Enrique, Coloccini, Barton, Nolan, Carroll, Gutierrez etc.

So no matter whether we stay up or go down lets get rid of CH.