Sign in to follow this  
It's Character Forming

Bored... of this board

This board merely reflects the mood of what is going on with Norwich City.

If this forum has become repetitive and boring then its largely as a result of what it going on with the management, club and on the pitch.

There is very little to get upbeat as regards to Norwich City and to pretend that the present situation doesn''t exist is futile.

[quote user="basil brush"]This board merely reflects the mood of what is going on with Norwich City.

If this forum has become repetitive and boring then its largely as a result of what it going on with the management, club and on the pitch.

There is very little to get upbeat as regards to Norwich City and to pretend that the present situation doesn''t exist is futile.[/quote]I disagree.Sure we''re all concerned, because we all care what happens. And yes, it is a discussion forum where views and concerns are aired. But frankly the whingeing is taken to ridiculous levels by some, and a few just do it now to get a rise out of some folks. Any serious or interesting discussion is eventually railroaded by some idiot who has a grudge because another poster disagreed with them 4 years ago.The hysteria here after a defeat is frankly embarrassing. And it pains me that journos and fans of other teams can freely read this forum, and see the behaviour and mass idiocy to be what Norwich City fans are all about. Look at how we used to mock the Leeds forum, WACCOE and perhaps consider how we have become just as bad, or even worse, on here.

The forum has become so predictable.

If we pick up any points in our next game you can already predict what posters will say what, and likewise if we lose you can predict who will say what.

This began right from the Hull away game at the beginning of the season and to be sure it will carry on through to the end of the season,the posters posting the same content, and mostly with intent to point-score off other posters in a told-you-so manner.

There are a few honourable exceptions but they are few and far between. A good board has to be informative, entertaining, thought-provoking and fun. Not blaming Archant but they don''t ''manage''the website in the way the a dedicated webmaster would do. If you are a member of other discussion boards you will find webmasters managing content to keep the site fresh. I see that Archant have yet to update the fixture list with the Cardiff match. Basically the board is left to find its own course.

Given my handle on this board ''RTB'' I sometimes like to take a contrarian view mainly because I like to see what the reaction is. Recently I took a contrarian view on the Mackay/Tan spat. On another occasion I started a thread about eliminating relegation to improve attacking football just to see if we can get some good discussion going on subjects other than the interminable Hughton-out.

Unfortunately discussion doesn''t happen. Within a couple of replies the ''you-are-a-tw@t'' posters jump in a kill the thread.

So really the board is care-in-the-community for the old moaners brigade and boy does Norfolk have a lot of those. It''s a place to vent. Posting from the backbedroom while the wife is hoovering downstairs. A club for early retirees and part-time workers with too much time on their hands and not enough brains to do something constructive with that time. Oh hang on, that sounds like me! I''d better be off.

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]The forum has become so predictable.

If we pick up any points in our next game you can already predict what posters will say what, and likewise if we lose you can predict who will say what.

This began right from the Hull away game at the beginning of the season and to be sure it will carry on through to the end of the season,the posters posting the same content, and mostly with intent to point-score off other posters in a told-you-so manner.

There are a few honourable exceptions but they are few and far between. A good board has to be informative, entertaining, thought-provoking and fun. Not blaming Archant but they don''t ''manage''the website in the way the a dedicated webmaster would do. If you are a member of other discussion boards you will find webmasters managing content to keep the site fresh. I see that Archant have yet to update the fixture list with the Cardiff match. Basically the board is left to find its own course.

Given my handle on this board ''RTB'' I sometimes like to take a contrarian view mainly because I like to see what the reaction is. Recently I took a contrarian view on the Mackay/Tan spat. On another occasion I started a thread about eliminating relegation to improve attacking football just to see if we can get some good discussion going on subjects other than the interminable Hughton-out.

Unfortunately discussion doesn''t happen. Within a couple of replies the ''you-are-a-tw@t'' posters jump in a kill the thread.

So really the board is care-in-the-community for the old moaners brigade and boy does Norfolk have a lot of those. It''s a place to vent. Posting from the backbedroom while the wife is hoovering downstairs. A club for early retirees and part-time workers with too much time on their hands and not enough brains to do something constructive with that time. Oh hang on, that sounds like me! I''d better be off.[/quote]Over the weekend there was a thread complaining about the whiners. Some of us very quickly and pertinently pointed out the irony of a thread ''whining about whining''.Well, RTB above and, to be fair, a few others have managed to do the double. Another ''lets moan about people moaning'' special.Just beggars belief really.Will someone go for the hat-trick before the day is out ?

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Rock The Boat"]The forum has become so predictable. If we pick up any points in our next game you can already predict what posters will say what, and likewise if we lose you can predict who will say what. This began right from the Hull away game at the beginning of the season and to be sure it will carry on through to the end of the season,the posters posting the same content, and mostly with intent to point-score off other posters in a told-you-so manner. There are a few honourable exceptions but they are few and far between. A good board has to be informative, entertaining, thought-provoking and fun. Not blaming Archant but they don''t ''manage''the website in the way the a dedicated webmaster would do. If you are a member of other discussion boards you will find webmasters managing content to keep the site fresh. I see that Archant have yet to update the fixture list with the Cardiff match. Basically the board is left to find its own course. Given my handle on this board ''RTB'' I sometimes like to take a contrarian view mainly because I like to see what the reaction is. Recently I took a contrarian view on the Mackay/Tan spat. On another occasion I started a thread about eliminating relegation to improve attacking football just to see if we can get some good discussion going on subjects other than the interminable Hughton-out. Unfortunately discussion doesn''t happen. Within a couple of replies the ''you-are-a-tw@t'' posters jump in a kill the thread. So really the board is care-in-the-community for the old moaners brigade and boy does Norfolk have a lot of those. It''s a place to vent. Posting from the backbedroom while the wife is hoovering downstairs. A club for early retirees and part-time workers with too much time on their hands and not enough brains to do something constructive with that time. Oh hang on, that sounds like me! I''d better be off.[/quote]

Over the weekend there was a thread complaining about the whiners. Some of us very quickly and pertinently pointed out the irony of a thread ''whining about whining''.

Well, RTB above and, to be fair, a few others have managed to do the double. Another ''lets moan about people moaning'' special.
Just beggars belief really.
Will someone go for the hat-trick before the day is out ?
[/quote]

But if you look at my opening post, my complaint is not about people whining.  It''s about people on both sides of the debate repeating the same points ad nauseum - making this board boring and predictable.

If people want to whine on here, that''s their privilige.  I just wish they''d whine in a more interesting way.

Of course it''s an open MB and people can post what they like.  Over and over if they wish.  But my point is that I, and clearly from the replies to this thread, other posters, are finding it increasingly dull, and don''t bother to even open many of the threads because their content is so predictable and repetitive.

The thing I find boring is that this board just talks in cliches."Can''t get any worse", "Not playing for the manager", "Attacking football".  There are loads others on both sides of the fence. They''re all just canned phrases that rarely add substance to anything.Then there is all the cliche stats which are carefully constructed to support the posters opinion, rather than the more scientifically accepted method of anaysing the stats first. On a few threads, like you RTB, I tried to pull stats to prove the direct opposite to that of the OP on that thread. Not because it''s what I believed, but just to see if you could make the OP think differently about their preconceived opinions. Create a little debate or discussion. It wasn''t very successful.It''s groundhog day on here, and I like the OP have been spending less and less time on here. I think every time I read this forum, I get a little bit dumber as a result.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]Then there is all the cliche stats which are carefully constructed to support the posters opinion, rather than the more scientifically accepted method of anaysing the stats first. [/quote]What ''cliché'' stats are these, Theo ? And while you are about it, what are the ''scientifically accepted'' stats. Accepted ? By who ? Because that sounds a hell of a lot like another cliché to me.Look. There is only one set of stats that interests me. The points on the board, the position in the table and the goals scored/conceded. To be fair, they are really only relevant come May 18th.The rest is all about opinion. Opinion that everyone has a right to voice. In whatever manner they choose. And, it''s perfectly simple. If you don''t like the opinions on this board, or the way they are voiced, then don''t log onto this webpage.In the same way that if you don''t like what''s on telly one evening...reach for the ''OFF '' button.

[quote user="Thorpe end canary"]Byeeeee, I believe Nottingham Forest have a good board if you want to try it. I less plastic to worry about now.[/quote]

Hey Waveney - A perfect example of my original complaint !  But you forgot to say "Hughton out messiah back"...

I haven''t heard how 1p5wich are getting on for a while ?  Some time back I remember some on here were concerned they might make the playoffs but I don''t pay much attention to the championship.  Maybe you can give us a regular update ?  It would certainly be more useful than any of your posts I''ve ever read on here.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]What ''cliché'' stats are these, Theo ? And while you are about it, what are the ''scientifically accepted'' stats. Accepted ? By who ? Because that sounds a hell of a lot like another cliché to me.[/quote]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_methodHere is the wiki version. However if you want to read some good books on the topic, let me know. This is the first time I''ve heard The Scientific Method referred to as a cliche. That''s an interesting "hypotheses".[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]The rest is all about opinion. Opinion that everyone has a right to voice. In whatever manner they choose. And, it''s perfectly simple. If you don''t like the opinions on this board, or the way they are voiced, then don''t log onto this webpage.In the same way that if you don''t like what''s on telly one evening...reach for the ''OFF '' button.[/quote]You''re 100% correct.

Ah, Theo, I see what you are referring to now. ie Science Methodologies. The problem is that you confused matters by adding the word ''accepted'' in, and that is precisely the difficulty. A lot of science methodology is not ''accepted''. That''s why there are constant debates about statistical analysis and the like, and it''s always being amended. I was not for one minute suggesting that such a debate is a cliché. I spent much of my working life in this field so am very aware of the problem.As far as football is concerned,a good illustration of this is the debate that surrounded Ricardo''s recent look at the "science" of changing managers. Nobody seems to be able to hit on one failsafe method of correlating the ''data'', so to all intents and purposes it''s all a bit airy fairy.That''s why , in such an emotional environment as following a football team, I like to keep things simple and only look at the sort of stats I referred to earlier.

hmm - interesting !

On the one hand the way many people use stats about football makes me cringe, e.g. one poster who was trying to argue Garrido is a better fullback than Olsson based on the stats, and said that people who watch games are misled into thinking Olsson is better because of his crowd-pleasing attacking runs (complete rubbish in my view).

At the same time, I like the idea of trying to apply stats in a useful way to try to give some solid foundation to debates.  If it''s entirely about opinions then it''s hard to ever make real progress in a debate. Whereas if stats are used, you can at least have a discussion about the use and validity of those stats for football.

We need to be realistic that with the money involved in football, Prem teams are spending serious money on statistical analysis to try to give them a competitive edge.  If you look at Liverpool''s owners, they have successfully applied stats to their baseball franchise and are actively trying to do the same at Liverpool.  Will it work or are they naive ?  Personally I think baseball is the ideal game to use stats for, and football is probably the worst game for stats ( and the reasons stats aren''t much use in football are the same reasons that football is the best team sport there is, IMO).  But like it or not, stats are going to be applied to football increasingly, as long as there''s a lot of money involved.

Always going to stir up a hornet''s nest, as you say, ICF. Personally, I was astounded about how many people railed against the introduction of goalline technology. To me, something scientific that would sort out facts from fiction instantly, and prevent injustices was a no-brainer, but there were a large and vocal group who were dead seat against it as they saw it as the thin end of the wedge.So it''s horses for courses , but I cannot really see how using methodology that is not even agreed upon by the ''experts'' is in anyone''s interests.

Indy, we have played well a few times this season. Saturday was a great example. But there''s never any threads to discuss it! In fairness I''ve seen us play much worse and against much weaker opposition. Don''t get me wrong, there''s been some awful performances this season, same as last. But they don''t compare to the Hamilton, Deehan, Megson, Roeder or even Mike Walker (second time around) eras. My point is that whether or not a change is needed, all the opinions have been stated goodness knows how many times. Why are the majority of new threads all about the same thing? It''s crazy, especially considering how quick some are to point out when posters start duplicate threads about anything else!

I get that lots of posters want Hughton out. I also get that plenty don''t want him sacked. I understand both sides of the debate. I imagine most of the regulars do? I just wish we didnt have to trawl through so many posts to find one where we can actually debate something and not descend in to mere table-thumping!