Sign in to follow this  
It's Character Forming

Bored... of this board

Sorry guys but it''s just tedious now.

After every defeat we have an avalanche of posts from people who want Hughton out, are stunned he''s still in a job etc etc.  No surprise to see threads cropping up where people predict no more wins for us this season (I remember that idea getting an outing in December) or how we''ll do in the championship (sure I''ve seen that one before this season as well) or predictions we''ll be relegated (yawn).  Threads about how much money we spent in the summer and should therefore be doing better... yet again.

Equally after every win, which means we shoot up the table given how tight it is, we have all the same posts from people who think we''ll survive, and much mockery for those posters who go AWOL after every good result for City.  Threads pointing out that for all the money we''ve had to spend, our rivals mainly have more.  While I tend to agree with this side of the debate, it has got just as repetitive as the other side and leaves me thinking... what''s the point in rehashing the same arguments after every single game ?

It''s all just so predictable.

More depressing are those who make up a straw man argument and knock it down.  I remember one poster saying he was tired of seeing posters saying everything was fine... maybe he was looking at another messageboard from me, all the pro-Hughton posts I''ve seen have recognized things are far from perfect.  Or there is Houston Canary with his mantra in defence of the defenceless or something equally daft.

The board hit a new low for me with the discussion on BJ''s sending off where at least 2 posters both exaggerated what he''d done to make it sound worse than it was, by saying he''d fallen to the floor to try to get an opponent sent off, when quite clearly he stayed on his feet.  What makes someone, who appears to be a genuine City fan, do this ? (There are some pretty obvious trolls on here, some quite amusing, but I don''t think the posters in question are).

So it has all got very dull and depressing on here.  I''m not flouncing off and quitting a la First Wizard, just saying that this board has gone from being the most common website I use, to one that is boring and not really worth bothering with.

Have to agree completely with you. And what some don''t realise is that it is damaging to do so, and fostering a negative atmosphere that makes our chances of surviving that much lower.

Agree with this, every week it is the same and it becomes tiresome and boring.

The players need the fans support to get out of this mess and surely all the negativity only adds to this and does nothing to help.

The situation is far from ideal but get used to the fact that the manager isnt going to change until the summer, support the team and make the atmosphere one to enjoy.

1 - well three a one answer. Don''t come on here and read and post. It''s a football forum - what do you expect?

2) I imagine that neither of you attend Carrow Road?

Well, perhaps I''m a little more thick skinned than you are. I understand how some get frustrated with some of the input but, for me, I will always seek out those posters that I believe are honest in their contribution. I''ll even seek out those that I feel are being dishonest. I don''t care whether the view is positive or negative because that is why a forum like this exists, so that various and diverse opinion can flow forth. I don''t mind challenging others or having my views challenged by anyone and, I dare say, neither do those that I hold in high regard. That''s what make''s it fun. May it ever be thus.

Thanks YC, I wish you well on your mission to seek out dishonest posters etc.

The problem for me is the boredom level.

I don''t have a problem with the rough & tumble of debate on here.  I remember a pretty robust exchange I had when Chris Martin left, but the main thing was that it was interesting.  It made me think properly about CM, the chances he''d had in the Prem, whether he was treated fairly etc.

There haven''t been many threads recently that left me feeling interested.  Mostly I wished I hadn''t bothered reading them.

God i do hate this cheer louder and they will play better crap , wonder if thats whats helped Sunderland ? no afraid not that was getting a manager who knows how to manage . As for a enjoyable atmosphere , yep you see other fans of relegated clubs jumping about with glee every year , what next cheering at funerals ?

[quote user="CanaryOne"]God i do hate this cheer louder and they will play better crap , wonder if thats whats helped Sunderland ? no afraid not that was getting a manager who knows how to manage . As for a enjoyable atmosphere , yep you see other fans of relegated clubs jumping about with glee every year , what next cheering at funerals ?[/quote]

You should speak to one or two players then Canary, they will all attest to the fact that a positive atmosphere can lift the players.

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"][quote user="CanaryOne"]God i do hate this cheer louder and they will play better crap , wonder if thats whats helped Sunderland ? no afraid not that was getting a manager who knows how to manage . As for a enjoyable atmosphere , yep you see other fans of relegated clubs jumping about with glee every year , what next cheering at funerals ?[/quote]

You should speak to one or two players then Canary, they will all attest to the fact that a positive atmosphere can lift the players.[/quote]The players come out with whatever guff they think the fans want to hear , wont be long till we start getting the players feel we can stay up stories .

Oh for heaven''s sake..Beefy, here we go again.Do you, in your wildest dreams think that the utterances (of any of the factions) on this board either translate to the matchday experience, or to the attitude of the players ? Or the quality of their play?Of course the atmosphere actually at the ground does reflect to the players, but I really cannot believe that a clearly intelligent level headed guy like you truly thinks that what you or I post here is of any relevance in that regard whatsoever.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Oh for heaven''s sake..Beefy, here we go again.Do you, in your wildest dreams think that the utterances (of any of the factions) on this board either translate to the matchday experience, or to the attitude of the players ? Or the quality of their play?Of course the atmosphere actually at the ground does reflect to the players, but I really cannot believe that a clearly intelligent level headed guy like you truly thinks that what you or I post here is of any relevance in that regard whatsoever.[/quote]

I think that posters on here create a sensationalised, negative view of the Club and management which translates to a poor atmosphere in the ground. That can have a negative effect on the players. And I don''t cite player interview ''guff'' as evidence of that, I know it from speaking to ex-players like McVeigh and Hucks and from one of the academy lads who lives with me.

As a matter of interest beefy , what sort of percentage of the good folk who attend Carrow Rd (let''s suggest 24000 are Norwich supporters) actually post (and negatively ) on this board ?????

I don''t know Reggie. But I do know that a good deal more than those who post do read this board. The Finidi George thread already has some 6,000 views. The Cardiff match thread had 8,900 views. The Hoolahan incident thread had over 11,000 views. A significant proportion in my view.

Well ICF I got fed up to the extent of having a rant the other week, more fool me, but I understand where you''re coming from. 

In my view the problem is that a lot of ordinary middle of the road posters are switched off by the abuse and  petty arguing. I''ve been involved in plenty of petty stuff - mainly because I won''t back down to the abuse, the misrepresenting of what I write and the childish knob-ends who just like to stir it.  On the whole I would prefer to just talk about the football but it becomes impossible in face of the things I mention above. 

I''ll have a go back at the City 1st''s and the others who appear like vultures every time I post, but I get pretty fed up with that too.  I know what I''m like and ask for trouble sometimes by treading on people''s toes, but the abuse and ridicule spoils debate because it becomes like a war between egos, neither backing down.  At the end of the day if I''m going to post on here it will be because I want what is best for the football club and will argue my case as long as I can be bothered. 

I used to think this was the place to be to find out about the club and its fans.  I still think its the place to be, but it is spoiled for me by the abuse and misrepresenting that goes on.  Since I started on this board I have been called everything under the sun.  Never in my life have I been subject to such abuse and it galls me to find it in the one place I want to be - the main site for NCFC supporters.   It is like you have to be a part of one clique or another or your "out".   I''ve fallen out with the "inner-circle" for want of a better description because they targeted me early in my time on here.  I''ve fallen out with the "Hughton-outers" because I won''t get off their case, but the Hughton out stuff is just so ridiculous now because we all know he is here to stay this season. 

It all seems so pointless because what we need now is a togetherness that will lead to some positivity and hope that that positivity filters into the ground at matches.    As far as this board goes - it is only as good as the posters who post.   I would say to anyone that looks in on the site and gets put off by the ridiculing and sometimes abusive stuff that goes on - get stuck in and put your point across.   Don''t let the mob rule appearance of it put you off.  They can''t hurt you and the more people that counter the noisy minority that try to dominate proceedings with their diatribe of negativity, the better the debate will be and the board will be a better place.

In fairness, everybody knows that a good atmosphere makes a ground more difficult for away teams and a negative atmosphere can seriously affect home performances - England and Villa for example. When fans boo, players get wound up and don''t focus as well as they might. It happens all the time. I don''t see why anyone tries to deny it.

I agree with the OP. It''s dull. A constant rehashing of the same old threads, usually well disguised as something else. We all know who wants Hughton in, we all know who wants Hughton out. The reality is we have all stopped talking about the actual football and are focussing on one man! It''s crazy really.

As a final point, it doesn''t need to be everyone at CR posting or even viewing this board. The negativity spreads like wildfire. CR is a horrible place to go and watch a game these days. People just whinge all the time. Everything is negative and critical. There are even people who don''t celebrate on the rare occasion that we actually do score!! What does that achieve?

This board is meant for discussion, and all views should be respected. If we disagree, we should do so by offering alternative arguments, as I have noticed from many on the great divide. If we feel that a view we don''t accept is preponderant, it may reflect the fact that side is either supported by a large number of posters and /or they hold their views with great passion and conviction.

The worst thing is to smear or dismiss others, - calling them names does not help. If we find a view that is quite unpalatable, then we have the options of carrying on our opposition, ignoring the other view completely, or walking away. I don''t like the last, as we are all impoverished if we do not have a balance of opinions.

I enjoyed the time of the window, and probably spent too much time on here. I ignored those who claimed to know "someone who knows...", or pointed out reasons why it was highly unlikely and I offered supporting evidence where I could. Since the end of the window there has been something of a vacuum, with new points only for a few days before a match, forecasting team or results, and a few days after. I suppose it was inevitable that the important subject of the manager and the past 24 games and the next 14 should fill space.

Perhaps we should all impose a self-denying ordinance, and not merely repeat ad nauseam, or abuse others who disagree with us. There would be less traffic, perhaps, and I certainly would not want to descend to the level of another board we know well, where films, lunch contents, latest pop music or deeds by politicians or film stars intersperse serious football points. (But by my own arguments I should be tolerant, and merely ignore what I regard as trivial or uninteresting.)

[quote user="Flecky''s Flip-Flop"]

In fairness, everybody knows that a good atmosphere makes a ground more difficult for away teams and a negative atmosphere can seriously affect home performances - England and Villa for example. When fans boo, players get wound up and don''t focus as well as they might. It happens all the time. I don''t see why anyone tries to deny it.

I agree with the OP. It''s dull. A constant rehashing of the same old threads, usually well disguised as something else. We all know who wants Hughton in, we all know who wants Hughton out. The reality is we have all stopped talking about the actual football and are focussing on one man! It''s crazy really.

As a final point, it doesn''t need to be everyone at CR posting or even viewing this board. The negativity spreads like wildfire. CR is a horrible place to go and watch a game these days. People just whinge all the time. Everything is negative and critical. There are even people who don''t celebrate on the rare occasion that we actually do score!! What does that achieve?

/quote

Exactly my point Flecky.

So...let''s just get this straight, Beefy. You are seriously saying that seasoned professional players like Darren Huckerby and Paul Mc Veigh have personally told you that what''s written on forums like this directly (or indirectly) affect how they play on matchdays.Is that what you are saying ?

An interesting subject that I decided to read, unlike the majority of subjects on here at present,which you know what you are going to get before clicking on, so I avoid them. For me, having read this board for many years and only actually "joining in" relatively recently as, I was a serial poster elsewhere until then. All I can say is that the board is, shall we say "challenging" to keep with and to keep wanting to contribute. Why is this, well its because rarely do we get a good discussion going without it turning either into a personal battle between one, two or a few posters, an anti Hughton attack (just about on any subject this happens now) or, an attack on the OP for daring to have an opinion. So, yes I guess I understand where you are coming from. However, it is a message board and we get on here a whole range of views so I accept it all, well just about..... other than some of the absolute vitriol directed at our Manager which really does go beyond the pale and what a true City fan would say and I question whether some who post on here are "true City fans"?

No Reggie - they told me that the atmosphere in the ground affects the players, and I am making the point, as Flecky has, that posts on here are read by a good proportion of fans who are affected by the opinions expressed.

[quote user="lake district canary"]   Don''t let the mob rule appearance of it put you off.  They can''t hurt you and the more people that counter the noisy minority that try to dominate proceedings with their diatribe of negativity, the better the debate will be and the board will be a better place.

[/quote]As usual you make your point eloquently, Lakey. But the post is long on rhetoric and short on specifics.For example just who are these ''mob-rulers'' ? Can you be a bit more open as to who the ''noisy minority '' are ?  Have you any examples of the ''diatribe of negativity'' of which you speak ?Or are you just using these ''cover all '' phrases as a euphemistic description of those people you disagree with and their views that you are at variance with ?

Also to be serious I''m interested in any other places on the internet for a worthwhile discussion about Norwich City.  In the past I''ve looked round but never found anything as good as this board. I suspect younger persons enjoy Twitter but whenver I''ve looked at it, it makes this board look like a paragon of reasoned debate.

So I''m pretty much writing off the rest of this season - however it goes, I don''t see this board improving until then.  After the end of the season, presumably Hughton will be replaced by a messianic new figure and we''ll all march on together to the broad sunny uplands....

or perhaps not.

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"]No Reggie - they told me that the atmosphere in the ground affects the players, and I am making the point, as Flecky has, that posts on here are read by a good proportion of fans who are affected by the opinions expressed.[/quote]Well, you see Beefy, that''s why I put the ''or indirectly '' in parentheses in my earlier posting, because, you ARE in fact saying that what''s written here transfers to the stadium , which in turn transfers to the players.So, in effect you ARE indeed saying that PMcV and DH feel they were affected by what''s said on here, aren''t you ?

[quote user="Fleckys Flip Flop"]The reality is we have all stopped talking about the actual football and are focussing on one man! It''s crazy really.[/quote]Well surely you can see that''s because the football itself is so f**king dire to watch Flecky?Every game feels robbed of joy, passion and at times even effort. We look toothless in attack, dodgy at the back and completely unable to link the two together in midfield.With all this in mind what actual football do you expect us to discuss (because the dross on the pitch doesn''t usually resemble it)???It should be blindingly obvious that the reason for our change in style of play is down to the man in charge, and therefore if the football is terrible on the pitch, then it''s only natural that fingers will point in his direction (even taking into account factors like player form, injuries etc), with a view to him sorting it out, and when that doesn''t happen for an extended period of time then patience can wear incredibly thin.I''d love to be able to discuss how well our wingers are playing, how solid our defenders look when teams attack us or how our record signing is in with a shout for the golden boot, but because of the aforementioned reason - I simply can''t, and until a change is made (either in how CH sets us up to play, or a new man replaces him) then we''re going to get the same arguments because they really go towards the heart of our club and what we''re seeing each week on matchday...

quote user="Indy_Bones"quote user="Fleckys Flip Flop"The reality is we have all stopped talking about the actual football and are focussing on one man! It''s crazy really./quoteWell surely you can see that''s because the football itself is so f**king dire to watch Flecky?Every game feels robbed of joy, passion and at times even effort. We look toothless in attack, dodgy at the back and completely unable to link the two together in midfield.With all this in mind what actual football do you expect us to discuss (because the dross on the pitch doesn''t usually resemble it)???It should be blindingly obvious that the reason for our change in style of play is down to the man in charge, and therefore if the football is terrible on the pitch, then it''s only natural that fingers will point in his direction (even taking into account factors like player form, injuries etc), with a view to him sorting it out, and when that doesn''t happen for an extended period of time then patience can wear incredibly thin.I''d love to be able to discuss how well our wingers are playing, how solid our defenders look when teams attack us or how our record signing is in with a shout for the golden boot, but because of the aforementioned reason - I simply can''t, and until a change is made (either in how CH sets us up to play, or a new man replaces him) then we''re going to get the same arguments because they really go towards the heart of our club and what we''re seeing each week on matchday.../quote

But we did play well on Saturday Indy, and were pretty unlucky to lose by all accounts. Yet no one wants to discuss the match, they just see the result as another reason to bash the manager.

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"]I don''t know Reggie. But I do know that a good deal more than those who post do read this board. The Finidi George thread already has some 6,000 views. The Cardiff match thread had 8,900 views. The Hoolahan incident thread had over 11,000 views. A significant proportion in my view.[/quote]

I think you will find that many posters multi visit certain threads.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"]I don''t know Reggie. But I do know that a good deal more than those who post do read this board. The Finidi George thread already has some 6,000 views. The Cardiff match thread had 8,900 views. The Hoolahan incident thread had over 11,000 views. A significant proportion in my view.[/quote]

I think you will find that many posters multi visit certain threads.

[/quote]

Obviously 1010. But it''s still an indication that a large number of fans visit the site.