Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Relegation would be catastrophic

[quote user="Le Juge"]We have liabilities in the form of player contracts that those other clubs do not have lappin, not to mention a probably large HMRC bill.

The point is the extent of which are outgoings exceed our probable revenue next season in comparison with other clubs, not the extent of which are turnover exceeds theres. I''m probably flogging a dead horse.[/quote]As a club that has always paid it''s taxes, I would imagine the financial  bods have already made allowances for the worse case scenario. McNally has already said players contracts contain a relegation clause and we both agree the higher earners will probably leave. Certainly not the catastrophe you predict.

ZLF I agree with you, btw are we relagated some need to start being positive we have enough games to get points needed and lets remember lots teams from 10th down have to play top half teams.

I have confidence that we will stay up in what is a difficult league.

[quote user="Le Juge"]

The worst thing they could have done is what they have done, which is absolutely nothing.[/quote]Not quite true, the worst thing that they could have done would have been to change the manager, spend big in the transfer window and then go down....that scenario would be far more catastrophic that being relegated having not just spent our first years parachute payment changing manager and buying new players. Of course, if a new manager and new player were brought in and we then stayed up that would probably be seen as a good investment, but it is not a certainty. Financially the best scenario of course is no change AND survival...and it looks like this is the option the board are hoping for. Right or wrong time will tell, but I am sure this will be a calculated decision by the board.

I would have gone for a change of manager because something just isn''t right with the players, fans and this club at the mo! But blimey Le Juge, you really are making far too important in your life matey, it''s only football and we all know there will be ups and downs for a club of our size.

I am pretty sure should we go down, the board have a fair plan in place. As for the players, well if we do go down, who''s to say they would be good enough for the Championship? I''m not sure there would be too many changes to be fair, but again who knows, we are only supporters!

I will say it''s not so important to me to be in the premiership if it means we carry on perfroming like we are and have been for 18 months.

No club has a god given right to be in the premiership, but we should be supportive and enjoy the fact that we have cleared the debts, on paper have a decent squad and a manager who just has not clicked with the majority of the fans, with his style, perfromance and attitude going into each game.

There will be good times again! :-)

Do you really think we will ever have a squad this strong again Indy?

This will go down in history as the time that we had an amazing squad and blew it.

If people think that RVW feels like a flop now, then imagine how it will feel when we consider £850k to be a big signing again and we face Kei Kamara wishing that he was ours.

It really does depend on the state of the club when it is relegated. You can not compare our situation with say Bolton or QPR, they were financially screwed before they even got relegated.

Also other points...

Like all sensible clubs we have relegation clauses in contracts lowering the wage bill considerably.

We may lose players but they will have been part of a relegated side. This doesn''t make them that desirable and in some cases it might not be a bad thing for them to move on.

We will play hardball with clubs on player sales because we can, we are a solvent club. Most will give up and sign a 3 million Swedish player after we quote 6 million for a relegated player.

For the club as a company (which is what McNally most cares about) relegation is obviously not good. There are some opportunities hidden with relegation though I think.

1) Talented youth might get a full season to integrate into team.

2) Opportunity to rationalise the squad.

3) Opportunity to win games, score goals, entertain again and create a bit of momentum. Lets face it, we are going stale and are a bit bored, this would shake things up.

Obviously it hasn''t been great for some clubs but if you manage it well it can actually have a positive effect on club. Did our relegation to league 1 not inspire huge changes to the club which have ultimately made us better?

Relegations 2011/12

Wolves (not back up)

Blackburn (not back up)

Bolton (not back up)

Relegations 2010/11

Birmingham (not back up)

Blackpool (not back up)

West Ham (back up)

Relegations 2009/10

Burnley (not back up)

Hull (back up)

Portsmouth (not back up)

[quote user="Le Juge"]Relegations 2011/12

Wolves (not back up)

Blackburn (not back up)

Bolton (not back up)

Relegations 2010/11

Birmingham (not back up)

Blackpool (not back up)

West Ham (back up)

Relegations 2009/10

Burnley (not back up)

Hull (back up)

Portsmouth (not back up)[/quote]

But you are not addressing the point i''ve made, a majority of the clubs listed were in a spiral of debt. As I said it depends on what situation you are in when you are relegated.

Wolves (not back up) - burdened by the stadium investment.

Blackburn (not back up) - Boardroom spiralling into a farce

Bolton (not back up) - over 100million in debt

Relegations 2010/11

Birmingham (not back up) - Owner bankrupt and facing prison

Blackpool (not back up) - only 1 season

West Ham (back up)

Relegations 2009/10

Burnley (not back up) - only 1 season

Hull (back up)

Portsmouth (not back up) - completely bankrupt

What about the clubs like West Brom, Southampton, Newcastle? they bounced back and to an extent have bounced back with success

[quote user="Le Juge"]This will go down in history as the time that we had an amazing squad and blew it. .[/quote]

It hasn''t happened yet!!   I can''t believe the defeatist stuff on here sometimes. 

On the point about the amazing squad.   It may look amazing, but in relation to other clubs it is not so amazing.  Every club has match winners and on their day will punish you.     I would question the amazing quote anyway. They are not an amazing squad yet.  Not until they achieve their potential which they have not yet.  I know, I know its the managers fault, so you keep saying.  But there comes a point where it isn''t the manager''s fault any more.  The players have to be good enough to sort it out on the pitch, whether its a confidence thing or a personality thing or a leadership thing.  The players have to stand up and do the business.  

A mistake did for us on Saturday.  Mistakes happen.  But we didn''t fold and finished strongly.   We need more strong performances and if we do have them, we will get the results.  Other teams are under pressure too, not just us.   All this doom and gloom smacks of an inferiority complex.   We may be two points from trouble, but we are also two points from the middle of the table. 

The doom and gloom is misplaced and premature. And its ridiculous. Imo.

[quote user="hertfordyellow"]It really does depend on the state of the club when it is relegated. You can not compare our situation with say Bolton or QPR, they were financially screwed before they even got relegated.

Also other points...

Like all sensible clubs we have relegation clauses in contracts lowering the wage bill considerably.

We may lose players but they will have been part of a relegated side. This doesn''t make them that desirable and in some cases it might not be a bad thing for them to move on.

We will play hardball with clubs on player sales because we can, we are a solvent club. Most will give up and sign a 3 million Swedish player after we quote 6 million for a relegated player.

For the club as a company (which is what McNally most cares about) relegation is obviously not good. There are some opportunities hidden with relegation though I think.

1) Talented youth might get a full season to integrate into team.

2) Opportunity to rationalise the squad.

3) Opportunity to win games, score goals, entertain again and create a bit of momentum. Lets face it, we are going stale and are a bit bored, this would shake things up.

Obviously it hasn''t been great for some clubs but if you manage it well it can actually have a positive effect on club. Did our relegation to league 1 not inspire huge changes to the club which have ultimately made us better?[/quote]If, as I assume, most of our well-regarded players have insisted on relegation clauses in their contracts (of the kind that Earnshaw activated to get a move to Derby) then we may well not be able to play hardball.We won''t be able to put prohibitive prices on players if their contracts stipulate that a certain level of offer (in Earnshaw''s case it was the £3.5m we paid for him) has to be accepted.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Le Juge"]This will go down in history as the time that we had an amazing squad and blew it. .[/quote]

It hasn''t happened yet!!   I can''t believe the defeatist stuff on here sometimes. 

The doom and gloom is misplaced and premature. And its ridiculous. Imo.

[/quote]It was only a matter of time, I guess.But best part of six hours from the thread''s inception.Why so long ?

The Japanese tsunami was catastrophic.

9/11 was catastrophic.

The holocaust was catastrophic.

Relegation is just part of a game that eventually will happen to us again. Then after a time, we''ll get promoted again. Then we''ll get relegated again. Stop over exaggerating and at least attempt to enjoy the ride.

[quote user="splutcho"]The Japanese tsunami was catastrophic.

9/11 was catastrophic.

The holocaust was catastrophic.

Relegation is just part of a game that eventually will happen to us again. Then after a time, we''ll get promoted again. Then we''ll get relegated again. Stop over exaggerating and at least attempt to enjoy the ride.[/quote]splutcho stop being rational with a sense of perspective when you post in future please, it''s not the done thing on here you know.

[quote user="Simple Jack"]On the plus side, if we go down its cheerio to stream watching plastics. Every cloud and all that ...[/quote]
Theres still the football league show though! For me its at about 3-4pm in the afternoon on my BBC stream! Unlucky lad [;)]

Relegation will be catastrophic and I''m sure it was not part of McNallys 5 year plan after 3 years in the Prem. It was postulated we could become a yoyo club like WBA but that assumes promotion. Unless we get promoted in a couple of years of relegation club finances cannot be sustained even with parachute payments.

One expense that will go will be the Grade 1 Academy status.

[quote user="Simple Jack"]On the plus side, if we go down its cheerio to stream watching plastics. Every cloud and all that ...[/quote]

Jack be simple, Jack be thick

Jack''s like a candle without the wick

Even will the relegation clauses in contracts i suspect wages would still exceed all income, unless we got rid of almost everyone and started again which is a distinct possibility if we go down as there would be a mass exodus of players abroad or who could get a premiership deal

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Even will the relegation clauses in contracts i suspect wages would still exceed all income, unless we got rid of almost everyone and started again which is a distinct possibility if we go down as there would be a mass exodus of players abroad or who could get a premiership deal[/quote]

True but we haven''t chased the dream like some clubs and given out outlandish contracts like say QPR did. Some players will go for sure but I still think a nucleus of committed players will stay and could be the backbone for promotion. It will be tough but we have been sensible with contracts which is the main thing.

I know WBA are used a lot as an example of bouncing back well but players like morrison stayed with them and they got back up.