Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

Scouting Report

6 - Ruddy - might have done a bit better for both goals but otherwise not much to do.2 - Martin - simply awful defending. 7 - Bennett - made some good interceptions but could have done better at times.7 - Bassong - a few mistakes defending and could have done a bit better when moved up front.7- Olsson - bypassed a couple of times when defending but very good going forward.9 - Snodgrass - linked up well and was a goal threat too. At times he released the ball a bit quicker than he has been doing so the momentum kept going. Perhaps play Hooper up front with Snodgrass just behind?7 - Tettey - did what he does best allowed and Fer to get forward.7 - BJ - his all-round game was quite good. He was back to cover at times and looked to get forward too. I have been one of his biggest critics regarding his passing but at least he has a good go.7 - Fer - made some good forward passes and showed more passion to win than he has done for a long time. Perhaps it had been because he had been dropped or because Tettey was back, or both. Could have been more of a goal threat.7 - Jonas - looked solid, got the ball forward, linked well with Olsson. On a couple of occasions he showed a turn of pace to cover where Martin should have been at right-back. Perhaps we should consider him for the right-back position.6 - Elmander - he tried hard but he is neither much of a goalscorer or much of a creative player.7 - Hooper - shocking pass across the front of the defenders which cost us the first Cardiff goal. He shouldn''t have even been so far deep on the left. However, he linked well with the midfield and looked sharp looking for a goal.4 - RvW - didn''t do much except flap at a chance and get pushed off the ball.8 - Redmond - his pace and movement on the ball were a threat and his end product was a bit better than it has been. I keep saying it but he needs to be playing on the right.Cardiff were very poor and there for the taking but then again Norwich gained an undeserved point against Newcastle.I would like to see this given a go v Man City:           Hooper          Snodgrass Pilks Tettey Fer RedmondOlsson Bassong Bennett Jonas             Ruddy

[quote user="norfolkngood"]

who do / did  you scout for ???

[/quote]

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/illustration-happy-boy-scout-saluting-30280322.jpg

[quote user="tom cavendish"]           Hooper          Snodgrass Pilks Tettey Fer RedmondOlsson Bassong Bennett Jonas             Ruddy[/quote]
I agree with everything you have said Tom. I like that team, and would love to see it given a go until such a time that Howson is fit and back, at which time I''d actually go back to 4-5-1. Not sure about Jonas in the RB position? Can he play there?
Still love to see if Benno could become an attacking RB. Did ok there when called upon in the past if I remember correctly.

Olsson set up the goal. What else did he do?

Noone had just an easy time against Olsson and Zaha and Bellamy teaming up on Martin. And Jonas was defending more than Snoddy. Bizzare markings for the FBs. Personally i saw Martin getting much more involved in the attacking player after the goal. And no one could defend against the pace of Zaha and Bellamy.

[quote user="SeattleCanary"] Not sure about Jonas in the RB position? Can he play there?

[/quote]

Yeah, he has played there though it''s obviously not where he has played most of his football.

But if you play him there what does it say for Martin and Whittaker?

Sorry, Ruddy should have saved that first goal. That knocks him down to a 2 or 3 for me. There''s not a goalie in all 4 divisions who shouldn''t have saved that.

I wonder what people would have said if Bunn had made that attempt?

[quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="tom cavendish"]
           Hooper
          Snodgrass
 Pilks Tettey Fer Redmond
Olsson Bassong Bennett Jonas
             Ruddy[/quote]

I agree with everything you have said Tom. I like that team, and would love to see it given a go until such a time that Howson is fit and back, at which time I''d actually go back to 4-5-1. Not sure about Jonas in the RB position? Can he play there?

Still love to see if Benno could become an attacking RB. Did ok there when called upon in the past if I remember correctly.

[/quote]

Seattle,

Jonas or Benno (when fit) might as well play at RB as Martin is having a hard time.

I like this team Tom, with maybe Yobo in for Bennett who wasn''t brilliant yesterday.

Jonas at RB against the Man City attack could be useful and I would definitely like to see Snodgrass behind the striker - `winning'' those free kicks in more central areas.

To explain my logic, I think the balance of the current team has rarely seemed right with the inverted wingers and withdrawn striker/forward midfielder not scoring or creating much. We need to be looking to get our best players in their best positions where they can play their natural game and be more of a danger to the opposition.A) For that deep striker/forward-midfielder position, neither RvW or Elmander have looked enough of a goal threat or have created enough. That leaves us with Becchio, Howson (injured), Wes (not happy), and Snodgrass. I think Snodgrass and Hopper have been showing a few signs of an understanding between them. Snodgrass can be a goal threat and can go left or right. He can sometimes be a bit slow holding up play but that might actually be to our advantage at times if played more centrally. Snodgrass might also get some free-kicks in more dangerous areas. I think Snodgrass sometimes played in that position for Leeds.Notice that when Olsson got forward to help create the goal for Snodgrass, Jonas showed good awareness to move to the left-back position to help protect us from the possibility of a counter attack.Whereas on the right, Martin & Snodgrass were both pushing up together and getting caught out. If we play Snodgrass off Hooper then our right-back won''t need to push up quite as far as we could have Snodgrass & Redmond linking towards the right.B) Regarding the right-back position, Martin looks to be really struggling at the moment with the defensive part of his game. It seemed that Solskjaer soon spotted that vulnerability and brought on Saha.Jonas has played at right-back for Argentina and Mallorca. However, since then Jonas has actually changed his style of football to become more defensive than he used to be. I would give him a go ''just to see'' and to give Martin a break. The Man City game would be a good test to see whether or not he can play that position. If not then Whittaker.C) Alternatively, Jonas played very well for Newcastle as a defensive left sided central midfielder. If Fer & BJ are having off-days then Jonas could help us to look more solid but also make some forward runs from central midfield (something that has been severely lacking from the team).This might work well at times:           Hooper                  Snodgrass    Pilks Jonas Tettey RedmondOlsson Bassong Bennett Whittaker                  RuddyAn opposition manger would be worried about that as we''d have a lot of creative players capable of making runs into the box and overlapping in numerous ways. We''d be better balanced, better at retaining possession and be quite solid in central midfield.Anyway, I think we now need to consider playing Snodgrass in support of Hooper. It would also enable Redmond to play in his best position on the right.

[quote user="SeattleCanary"]Sorry, but I disagree about Whittaker. That guy isn''t first team material. Martin is decent enough at RB, and the closest thing we have to a leader.[/quote]

Hard to see how Martin is decent enough but Whittaker isn''t.

People usually say Martin is better defensively. Where was he yesterday for Jones'' goal? He was Martin''s man and he let him have a totally unchallenged header.

I think some fans are a bit kinder on Martin because he''s been here a while and he''s seen as a good guy, something of a leader. But football wise he''s no better than Whittaker, if at all.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="SeattleCanary"]Sorry, but I disagree about Whittaker. That guy isn''t first team material. Martin is decent enough at RB, and the closest thing we have to a leader.[/quote]

Hard to see how Martin is decent enough but Whittaker isn''t.

People usually say Martin is better defensively. Where was he yesterday for Jones'' goal? He was Martin''s man and he let him have a totally unchallenged header.

I think some fans are a bit kinder on Martin because he''s been here a while and he''s seen as a good guy, something of a leader. But football wise he''s no better than Whittaker, if at all.

[/quote]
Well as its been said to me many times, apparently the manager knows more than all of us, and he seems to play Martin more. So who knows who is truly better? I think Russ links up with Snoddy better personally, and neither of our RB''s are great. We need an upgrade in this area if we stay up.

While we controlled the game it was not a 7 average team performance, with the 2 and 9 demonstrating little professional assessment but huge personal bias

Our goal threat was pedestrian until the sub''s when fer and Redmond had a real impact on the game, stretching play and enabling snoddy to have a greater impact as he was no longer the only attacking outlet.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]2 - Martin - simply awful defending.[/quote]This scouting you claim to have done...was it for Peterborough? [:^)]

For me, first and foremost a defender has to be able to defend well.

Defensively, there hasn''t been much to choose between Martin and

Whittaker. Neither are particularly great at it. They have to be right

at the top of their game to get away with it.However, I think

Whittaker is a bit more fluent going forwards, a bit more dangerous and

more likely to score, which explains why he has occasionally played on

the right of midfield.If we were to play Redmond on the right

with Snodgrass supporting Hooper then it would enable our right-back to

focus more on defending.

I haven''t watched the highlights but I was at the game and Martin did not justify being awarded a 2. He linked well with Snoddy and was ok really. Some just take against a player imo.

come along young master ovendish

surely you can remember who you scouted for, how you presented your reports, who you consulted over those reports

and while you are at it what has happened to that new stadium in Bristol which was supposed to be finished in 2014

[quote user="the bristol nest"]I haven''t watched the highlights but I was at the game and Martin did not justify being awarded a 2. He linked well with Snoddy and was ok really. Some just take against a player imo.[/quote]I don''t have anything against any player whatsoever. I suggest that you actually have a look at the match again and take note of the defending in particular the second Cardiff goal.

[quote user="lappinitup"]But who did you do this scouting for?[/quote]Several who have managed, coached and played in top flight football. No names for confidential reasons.

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="lappinitup"]But who did you do this scouting for?[/quote]Several who have managed, coached and played in top flight football. No names for confidential reasons.[/quote]Surely you can name the clubs? Hardly MI5 are they?

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="lappinitup"]But who did you do this scouting for?
[/quote]

No names for confidential reasons.
[/quote]

What a pathetic cop out ! What confidentiality would you be breaching that would cause you or the other party problems ?

Tom,

How was the second goal RM''s fault?

Firstly, Q) Where was Bennett, A) Outside of RM, Where should he have been? (rhetorical question)

Secondly, Q) Who let Jones run into our box unmarked and unchallenged, A) Not RM but the nearest palyer to him when he set of on his run was either Elmander or Snoddy, Elmander decided to run out of a defensive position and Snoddy stopped running into the box and stood stock still as they attacked down the wing.

Tom, is it true that if you told us who you were/are scouting for ..that you''d have to kill us? I''ve heard from someone else ''in the know'' that this is common practice, can you confirm, or would that too lead to our untimely demise?

This is all very exciting .