Sign in to follow this  
CambridgeCanary

Director of Football

I believe that this is the way forward especially if/when we stay up. The criticisms of Hughton are his tactics and substitutions. Even his most vehement critics respect his ability in the transfer market

He has made a huge difference to the club behind the scenes. Last summer he had Colney updated. He has a real feel for much of the club and is very effective.

Do, we keep that ability and make him DOF. We appoint a new first team coach with responsibility for selection and tactics. We can stop arguing and the club can move forward.

"Even his most vehement critics respect his ability in the transfer market"eh  ?I''m not too sure if you quite understand how transfers are conducted at CRDo you still imagine that the club simply allocates him an amount of money and say ''there you are, off you go" ?He is one voice amongst many - the idea of some sort of buffoonery ie a director of football is absurd.

In many cases having a director of football has led to a personality clash with the manager. If we had one at the moment and he expected us to follow a different path to Hughton''s I suspect that there might be a clash.

He certainly needs a bit of help, maybe moving him up to Director of football may work or how about a couple of extra coaches to help with the player

[quote user="Salopian"]In many cases having a director of football has led to a personality clash with the manager. If we had one at the moment and he expected us to follow a different path to Hughton''s I suspect that there might be a clash.[/quote]

Don''t be silly Chris clueless is really really niceeeee, he wouldn''t fall out with anyone!!!

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]I believe that this is the way forward especially if/when we stay up. The criticisms of Hughton are his tactics and substitutions. Even his most vehement critics respect his ability in the transfer market He has made a huge difference to the club behind the scenes. Last summer he had Colney updated. He has a real feel for much of the club and is very effective. Do, we keep that ability and make him DOF. We appoint a new first team coach with responsibility for selection and tactics. We can stop arguing and the club can move forward.[/quote]

I think you will find Cambridge that it was down to Ricky Martin and David McNally setting their stall out to obtain Academy status level one which was being worked on long before Hughton arrived.

"He has made a huge difference to the club behind the scenes. Last summer he had Colney updated."

you have to wonder if some folk have a clue about what the manager does .... and doesn''t do

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]I believe that this is the way forward especially if/when we stay up. The criticisms of Hughton are his tactics and substitutions. Even his most vehement critics respect his ability in the transfer market He has made a huge difference to the club behind the scenes. Last summer he had Colney updated. He has a real feel for much of the club and is very effective. Do, we keep that ability and make him DOF. We appoint a new first team coach with responsibility for selection and tactics. We can stop arguing and the club can move forward.[/quote]

I think you will find Cambridge that it was down to Ricky Martin and David McNally setting their stall out to obtain Academy status level one which was being worked on long before Hughton arrived.

[/quote]r

You may be right but the upgrading of the pitches and other developmental improvements to the facilities were Hughton''s initiative. Plus of course, Hughton was right behind Academy status and did his bit.

[quote user="City1st"]"Even his most vehement critics respect his ability in the transfer market"eh  ?I''m not too sure if you quite understand how transfers are conducted at CRDo you still imagine that the club simply allocates him an amount of money and say ''there you are, off you go" ?He is one voice amongst many - the idea of some sort of buffoonery ie a director of football is absurd.

[/quote]

The only idiot bigger than the person who thinks the manager is given cash and a free hand is the idiot who thinks other people believe that.

[quote user="City1st"]"He has made a huge difference to the club behind the scenes. Last summer he had Colney updated."

you have to wonder if some folk have a clue about what the manager does .... and doesn''t do

[/quote]

My source works at Colney. How about yours?

"You may be right but the upgrading of the pitches and other

developmental improvements to the facilities were Hughton''s initiative.

Plus of course, Hughton was right behind Academy status and did his bit."

if not, then the work was NOT carried out as part of the club''s compliance with applying for Cat 1 status !You are clueless and have have merely spouted out some idiotic guff in defence of Hughton and are now trying to back pedal out of it...........and as to what some believe about the manager being given a sum of cash maybe you should read some of the similarly idiotic bleats on her, or even your own come to that

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]Even his most vehement critics respect his ability in the transfer market [/quote]Well one of those critics would be me but I wouldn''t say he had a 100% record on transfers - some good but several that still have a lot to do to convince me. Not least RVW, Becchio, Olsson, Whittaker and Garrido.And as for Hughton being made DOF, no.Not only do they not work but there''s only one move he should make & that has to be out the door.

I don''t often agree with City1st but I think he is right, Hughton doesn''t go out and sign players, he feeds back the teams requirements, players are scouted and a list of targets produced and the board go after those targets.

He may be a key factor in why Redmond for example joined but thats a different point.

Also CH would not have the authority to go update the facilities, it would have been budgeted for in advance by the board as part of the goal to gain Cat 1 status.

[quote user="danielsroundabout"]Think you''re wrong there Hertford, I''m told he insisted on magnolia for the walls.[/quote]

Mmm I think he would have asked politely rather than insisted. Maybe talked up it''s rival baby blue as "real quality" paint colour even though everyone else sees it as an unpopular, mediocre paint.

[quote user="City1st"]"You may be right but the upgrading of the pitches and other

developmental improvements to the facilities were Hughton''s initiative.

Plus of course, Hughton was right behind Academy status and did his bit."if not, then the work was NOT carried out as part of the club''s compliance with applying for Cat 1 status !You are clueless and have have merely spouted out some idiotic guff in defence of Hughton and are now trying to back pedal out of it...........and as to what some believe about the manager being given a sum of cash maybe you should read some of the similarly idiotic bleats on her, or even your own come to that

[/quote]

Wow, Prince Charming strikes again!

It''s only a suggestion/idea - it''s not one i''d agree with personally so why not just stick to saying why rather than resort to calling it ''idiotic guff'' and calling the OP clueless. 

Back on topic, since we DON''T have a director of football, whose job in other clubs is often to identify potential new signings, i would expect that CH, working with his scouts, is currently IC of identifying new players. I.e. scout finds a possible target, presents to CH, who presents to board if we want to sign that target.

So tell me oh knowledgeable one, is that how you imagine things happen, or is that idiotic clueless guff?

Excellent - you know how it works then.

Could you tell us? I''m genuinely interested to know, as i imagine are others who can''t claim with certainty to know exactly how transfers work at NCFC.

My summary above - scout finds player, presents to manager, manager/management team decides if he''s worth going for, manager presents to board -  is just a guess. It''s also a process that essentially puts the manager in charge of transfers but for the final yay or nay at board level.

So, please, enlighten us (minus the insults if you can)! As i say, i''m genuninely interested to know.

a1canary, as I said in my reply I don''t pretend to know exactly how the club works but I do know the idea that a manager goes out and signs players is flawed and a bit Championship Manager. No one denies that he is involved with his coaching team in the process, but he doesn''t scout players, control the budget, negotiate, have the authority to offer contract terms etc.Also I don''t entirely agree he has signed well if we are handing out credit in this way.A large part of the budget was spent on a striker who doesn''t seem to compliment the team, he seems to naturally play off the shoulder of the defended rather than drop deep or act as a target man. The team doesn''t seem set up for this at all.For every success there is a poor signing IMO or the potential of the signing is not being utilised, something that I would say Hughton has a lot of control over.

I''m not passing judegment of the quality of our signings and the credit Hughton gets for those.

Plus I don''t think for a minute that the manager goes out and signs players all on his own. In my entirely made up process i''ve imagined the manager asseses suggestions from scouts for players to sign (a job that a DoF would do but we don''t have one of those) and then makes the case to the board to sign.

Although if you take an example like Gutierrez, clearly he hasn''t been scouted, he would have been a suggestion by the manager himself.

But as i keep saying, i''m not in a position to know the process and City1st has often intimated that he is. Hence i''m inviting him to tell us!

Incidentally, the goings on at Newcastle are pertinent to this discussion. I note a recent quote from Pardew:

"If i was in charge, solely, of transfers, things might be different. I think i''ve made my opinions very clear this week and all the rest in confidential."

Note the world SOLELY, in reference to not having a DoF.

[quote user="a1canary"]

Could you tell us? I''m genuinely interested to know, as i imagine are others who can''t claim with certainty to know exactly how transfers work at NCFC.

My summary above - scout finds player, presents to manager, manager/management team decides if he''s worth going for, manager presents to board -  is just a guess. It''s also a process that essentially puts the manager in charge of transfers but for the final yay or nay at board level.

So, please, enlighten us (minus the insults if you can)! As i say, i''m genuninely interested to know.

[/quote]

Come on City1st, to coin a phrase... "where are you"?  Still looking forward to you wisdom on the subject of transfers at NCFC.

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="a1canary"]

[/quote]

Come on City1st, to coin a phrase... "where are you"?  Still looking forward to you wisdom on the subject of transfers at NCFC.

[/quote]

Hertford has already put up what I have said on here numerous times so there is;little worth in my repeating it - just as there would be little worth watching a broken cuckoo clock and verbally correcting it every time it popped out.

None of what has been s aid is of any great insight, it merely highlights how clueless you are.

As previously, it would take wiser heads than mine to explain it to you.