Sign in to follow this  
Simple Jack

"In form Sebastian Bassong"

This Pink In headline told me enough to not bother reading the article. In form? He''s looked a shadow of his former self all season, appears to be genuinely disinterested and increasingly prone to the Norman Wisdom school of defending. His lack of form is a big contributory factor to why we find ourselves where we do.

He hasn''t been at his best this season. The article mentions his injury. Is it a coincidence as many are questioning Bassong and his leadership qualities that this article is trotted out?

It''s probably the best form he''s had so far this season, so y''know...

I''d agree with AJ, he''s done alright recently, but this season certainly hasn''t been as good as last season. Maybe him and Yobo will provide a solid back line. I think they''re quite similar players, both good physical defenders with a bit of mobility but prone to the odd lapse in concentration.

In form? I must have blinked and missed it. Bassong was so good last season, every game he was so impressive. This season he hasnt resembled his former self at all. And he''s a terrible captain on the pitch, doesnt seem to demonstrate half the leadership he did last season. Are the two linked I wonder?

Agree with all that has been said in the thread..IN-FORM omg! We gifted the opposition two goals on saturday...

Has he been as good as last season? Probably not.

Is he our best defender at the moment? Yes.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Coming tomorrow in your nearest Archant publication......." Norwich''s in red hot form striker Ricky van Wolfswinkel  relishing taking Vincent Kompany to the cleaners".[/quote]Spat me coffee out with that reg, fair play :)Agree with most on here - Bassong is not in form, and he is not captain material. WTF are archant doing??

His attitude absolutely stinks. Alongside Leroy Fer he is the laziest player in our team. The fact he is team captain is beyond a joke. Yes he was very good last season but injuries or not there is no excuse for the pathetic peformance our ''captain'' has produced this season. When Turner and Yobo are match fit he should be at the back of the queue for a first team place until he can be bothered to concentrate and put effort in for a full 90 minutes. There''s a reason this guy has been in relegated teams on more than one occasion. Captain my a**e. Still he''s one of our manager''s ''favourites'' so no matter how many carefree, lacklustre peformances he puts in, he won''t be losing that armband anytime soon.

I quite literally spat my tea out reading that headline. He isnt in form, and he isnt anywhere near as good as last year. Just because he is occasionally our best defender, it doesnt warrant a headline. I belive he should have been stripped of his captaincy ages ago and maybe we wouldnt be where we are now. He seems to be a joker and his antics involving  weapons and the gun incident, hardly sounds like the focussed sportsman.Who do you put as captain though? I would suggest Howson when fit, maybe even Ruddy. I hope we get a pairing of Yobo and Ryan Bennett until Turner comes back.

[quote user="nu_matik"] I hope we get a pairing of Yobo and Ryan Bennett until Turner comes back.[/quote]I would like to see that pairing tried as well - but I can''t see it happening unfortunately as our manager always picks bumbling bassong no matter how many bumbles per game he makes!

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Coming tomorrow in your nearest Archant publication......." Norwich''s in red hot form striker Ricky van Wolfswinkel  relishing taking Vincent Kompany to the cleaners".[/quote]

Funny thing is, RVW scored a hattrick against Man City not so long ago!

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Coming tomorrow in your nearest Archant publication.......

" Norwich''s in red hot form striker Ricky van Wolfswinkel  relishing taking Vincent Kompany to the cleaners".
[/quote] Funny thing is, RVW scored a hattrick against Man City not so long ago![/quote]

and then he turned fifa 14 off....

[quote user="NWC"][quote user="nu_matik"] I hope we get a pairing of Yobo and Ryan Bennett until Turner comes back.
[/quote]

I would like to see that pairing tried as well - but I can''t see it happening unfortunately as our manager always picks bumbling bassong no matter how many bumbles per game he makes!
[/quote]

Bassong makes less bumbles per game than Bennett.

Bassong has been doing quite well recently. There''s a stupid amount of people jumping on this bandwagon about him being rubbish.

Bassong as Captain was a mistake.

Bassong has made some real bloopers this season and regularly looks casual to the point of negligence but..........

the amount of goals our defence has conceded recently should give any decent attack the platform to earn the side a lot of points. It seems we only get points through clean sheets and single goals conceded because one goal in response is about all we can ever manage.

GJP agree with that, but I too was slightly surprised by the headline. I also agree that Bassong is certainly a player who is jumped on at the moment, yet Bennett, (another player who I rate and who has huge potential), somehow gets no criticism for when he switches off and loses position...which does happen regularly...........as it does to most of the CB''s in the teams in the lower half of the EPL I must add......... 

Hooper clearly made a massive mistake giving away the ball for Cardiffs first goal, but if you watch Bassong he tried to play Bellamy offside instead of sticking with the runner. Can''t believe he escaped widespread criticism for this, especially when you watch it again. His defending for that goal was so lazy ts unbelievable. Not in form!

To make a headline for him especially after his Cardif gaff?... I reckon desperate Hughton has been on the phone to Archant begging for praise.

He has seemed a little less mobile this season. Early on it could have been as the result of surgery, but we are well into the season.

What concerns me most is that he is not quick to close down players and block shots. The whole defence is guilty, which is why players like Aquero are able to move unhindered in our penalty box until they find a shooting position, and then....

I fear for Saturday, unless Hughton has concentrated on this. There could be another big score.

Nearly every team, and Cardiff were one, throws themselves at the line of the ball, while we stand off.

Bassong is no worse than the others, but as captain he should be setting an example.

He was absolutely immense today.

When things aren''t going well people say he''s a poor captain but today we turned in a whole hearted performance and he was a tower of strength at the back.

Much better performance from Bassong yesterday. Did Yobo help? or has he turned a corner?Hopefully we will see the Bassong of last season for the rest of the campaign.