Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Are we strong enough defensively to start with Ashton & MacKenzie - plus Hucks? Discuss.

I don''t think so.

Let Jonson work upĀ & down the left whilst providing solid support for Drury.

Bring on Hucks for the last 30/45 minutes for MacKenzie or Jonson as the state of the game dictates.

If he doesn''t like it - tough. He has no automatic right to a starting place.

Next year in the Prem he must compete with Ashton, MacKenzie and X for a starting striker''s role - or settle for coming off the bench into left midfield if we need a more attacking formation.

Heresy!? Maybe, but also the bold truth. We are simply not stong enough defensively in the Prem with Hucks at left midfield. [In the Championship it would be OK - but that''s not in our forward planning is it?]

OTBC.

[quote]I don''t think so. Let Jonson work up & down the left whilst providing solid support for Drury. Bring on Hucks for the last 30/45 minutes for MacKenzie or Jonson as the state of the game dictate...[/quote]

Excellent post BBB.

To me there are two questions.

1. Is Hux fit enough?  To me he has struggled and in view of this if he is not fit enough to last the full 90 mins he should be on the bench and introduced later; if he starts and other players get injured he could be on at the end of the game despite being unfit.  If he is fit then the question is
  2. Can we create enough chances without him to win the game?   Even in our off games Hux creates the vast majority of our chances, worries opponents (most fouled player - also surprised me that he has committed more fouls than any other city player this season - shows how few challenges our defence and midfield really put in!) .  This is a must win, not a musnt lose game.  Without his chances what impact can Leon and Ashton have and it is too easy to mark Bentley out of the game only having him to worry about?  We must remember Brum are very solid defensively but weaker up front; breaking them down will be tough.  Pennant is a worry but beyond him?

To me if hux is fit he should play as his presence worries defences and puts teams on the back foot.  If he is not 100% he starts on the bench with Jonson, not Charlie, on the left (would love to see charlie in for flem but Worthy is on the aggressive this week and is not letting any criticism lie at his door - first Hux now the board - a cornered man?) 

Whoever appears will get the 110% Worthy is calling for - will his tactics be 110% though?

OTBC

Apparently, according to NCFC official website, Hucks has declared himself fit for tomorrow.  Heres hoping

I am so nervous about tomorrow.  I don''t think you can under estimate Birmingham.  They have Walter Pandiani and Emile Heskey now.  Our defence was shocking last week against a team who are also fighting relegation.  Tomorrow the defence MUST tighten up. 

COME ON YOU YELLOWS

its simple  hux fit hux plays lets get some goals first then worry about defending i keep saying best form of defence is attack dont you think. i dont give a crap if they get 5 as long as we score 6.otbc

Good points, but I think that:

We need to leak less goals rather than reinforce/maintain our scoring rate. Hence, Hucks should not start. 

Drury will need reliable help in containing Pennant. Hence, Hucks should not start.

OTBC. 

IF huckerby is fit then yes, as huckerby does defend, although only caught a few times, the large mojority of the time he is back.

If not, why not start with matty sven? Its worth a try......

..... now, its do or die......

and i dont wanna die just yet!

I ask you. If we were to hold a 1-0 lead with 10 minutes to go and Hux was playing with Jonson on the bench, what would you do? Assuming this Hux is the current "injured" version and not the one that played against MU, Hux off of course.

In that case, thats how we should start the game. Bring him off the bench if we need to later in the game.

From all account Pennant and Melchiot have been the driving force behind Brum this last few games. If we can out battle them on that side then we will win. If they do us............It''s Hull and burnley next year! So do we let Hux worry them going forward or let them worry us by defending. in honesty i don''t know the best option.

To me, it''s either Huckerby or Jonson on that left flank. To be fair, McVeigh is too lightweight going backwards and forwards, and Stuart is just not fit enough to be able to get forward and go back.

As we all know, Huckerby offers a tremendous amount going forward. He can skin full backs, he can put in great balls, he can score goals. He cannot and does not defend.

Jonson is almost an opposite, offering excellent ability tracking back, and he''s put in some vital tackles, but we haven''t seen his ability on the offensive. Frankly, he has rarely set up goals and never (if my memory serves me right) scored any.

In my opinion, Jonson represents the perfect "holding a lead" substitute. Huckerby is great going forward, a true catalyst for the team, and if we intend to get the goals he''s needed. But if we hit 2-0 at 60mins, I''d immediatly pull him off in favour of Jonson, so we''ve got extra bodies on that left flank doing their best to disrupt winger play.

But for me, I''d start with Huckerby every time. Hucks offers us a potent threat down that left flank, that defenders are required to address. It''s no coincidence that while Huckerby is marked out by two players, Ashton marked by the other two, McKenzie pops up and scores a goal. Jonson just doesn''t offer that, and as such I''d have him on the subs bench.

Good post. I agree with most of the points, however for me he has got to play.

He has made alot more goals than goals conceded that could be attributed to his defending, or lack of