at shots in the last couple of games, that is a symptom of a lack of

confidence borne out of injury and frustration. Despite what Jake

Humphrey says, Wolfswinkel – and Gary Hooper – are victims of the

stunted attacking set-up. It has obscured from view Wolfswinkel’s

obvious class, admired by many. Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen

said in December – before the trio of Fulham nightmares had started –

that he and Alex Ferguson had discussed Wolfswinkel as a potential

target for Manchester United. “He has an eye for goal and is really good

in and around the box and is a quick and clinical finisher,” he said.

“My first thought was that Norwich had done well there [to sign him] but

it shows how keen players are to play in the Premier League.”In other words, City were punching above their weight when they signed him. Norwich are Family Guy’s

Peter Griffin to Wolfswinkel’s Lois Griffin, and on Tuesday night it

was clearer than ever to see. While last season it could be argued that

Norwich misused a fading, frustrated Grant Holt and a popular but

underwhelming Kai Kamara in order for Hughton to rightly focus on the

team’s defensive strengths, this season Hughton is wasting the talents

of two proven goalscorers. It’s pretty inexcusable. The deeper

Wolfswinkel dropped against Fulham, the further he moved away from

scoring, the quicker Norwich’s season plummeted into trouble. It wasn’t

Ricky’s fault though. He could see what was wrong with the way the team

was set up and was trying to do something about it.It’s just a shame his manager remains blind to it.Daniel Brigham is features editor of The Cricketer magazine.Follow him on Twitter: @cricketer_dan

Spot on there.

I suppose this is why i''d call Elmander our worst signing so far.

Loved the comparison to awkward danceing in a night club! Took me back to my single days and made perfect sense to me!

Do we never lean in for a kiss? or never offer to get them a drink? or never have any lines to say to them?

As they say, if you don''t shoot, you don''t score, and well if you don''t pass to your strikers, you won''t shoot.

Back to my single days, what''s the worst that can happen if you try something? Knocked back and you move on? Maybe a slap if your efforts are too forward, but the ultimate goal of getting the "end product" isn''t affected, you dust yourself down (buy another jagerbomb) and go again (allbeit with a new tactic).

In conclusion, are we truly impotent?

Spot on, great article Daniel.

People using RVW as a scapegoat should be banned from attending games. I''m ashamed of them as a Norwich fan. All they do is further knock his confidence, and show themselves as having an inability to think.

People forget how Iwan Roberts struggled so much in his first season. Coincidently with a toe injury too!

I hope others who have doubts about RvW take the time to read the OP.It is spot on.As has been said on here before, if we had van Persie and Negredo playing up front for us they would find it difficult to score with the attacking set up we employ.The strikers are not the problem. The manager and the tactics are.

I know we all see games differently but I too was surprised at Jakes tweet;   it felt like either he was watching the wrong player or simply not recognising what RvW was doing.     but judging by a lot of posters on here its clearly a common impression Ricky gives (worst ever signing thread for example)

But Daniel I think you still need to give Hughton more time.  We allowed you time to sharpen up your writing style. To make it less, er, ostentatious. A touch pithier. And the results are now as excellently demonstrated above. All you need to is cut out the cultural references that are incomprehensible to anyone over the age of 17 and you will have achieved perfection. Surely if you can so succeed then Hughton can as  well?[:D][;)][:D]

Ha, thanks Purple. I think.

I''m 31 so I''m afraid most of my cultural references will come from post 1992!

If only Hughton was more ostentatious in his playing philosophy ...

[quote user="Daniel Brigham"]Ha, thanks Purple. I think.

I''m 31 so I''m afraid most of my cultural references will come from post 1992!

If only Hughton was more ostentatious in his playing philosophy ...[/quote]Oh it''s a compliment, Daniel.

I''m glad you''ve written this Daniel, and written it well.

It is something I have been saying since early on in the season and trying to counter some of the more bazaar posts regarding him and his performances.

I have asked those who have called him a flop and accused him of failing to adapt to our style or the PL, to justify their views and what they believe he needs to do.  I am yet to see any answers.

I came to the conclusion the he is too good for us in that many of our players are just not on the same wavelength.  The only two I see who might be are Hoolahan and Fer.  One doesn''t play and the other has played so much he is shattered and badly out of form.  Also plays too deep, thus rarely in a position to supply.

The way we play does not suit him at all which makes it worrying as to why he was bought in the first place.  To me he is the type of player you build and structure your plans around, not try and mould into some kind of hybrid.  I do wonder actually what type of striker would fit into what we do?

I feel he can do no more than he has so far.  He must be so deflated and angry with the situation as I bet he was sold on an idea that was never going to be implemented.

He could be the greatest striker we have had, but in this team, the greatest waste of talent!

Snake

"which makes it worrying as to why he was bought in the first place."because he was targeted by the scouts and agreed to by the board - which should really underline how transfers work at NCFCunfortunately I''m not too sure if the board were aware of how damaging Hughton''s failing tactics would be, as - not try and mould into some kind of hybridRVW has a superb head and will knock down accurate balls all day and knock them into the net as well, but he has little service in that area with Redmond still more content to blast the ball into row zthe club (board) have assembled a very good squad, with players who have a positive approach and have not handed in transfer requests or wanted awaymy fear is that may happen if we continue with Mr MaGoo and his clueless approachthis cannot be what RVW and Fer were promised when they agreed to join City it is not just the league position MaGoo is giving cause for concern aboutI can only think that his remaining here is a sign of how diligent the club is in finding a decent replacement who can take us forwardspeed the day

Snake - I''d add Howson to the players who are on the same wavelength.

The only two games were we''ve played well as an attacking force all season - Stoke and Chelsea - had Fer and Howson in support of RVW.

So I guess it could be argued that Hughton has been unlucky with injuries, but which manager isn''t? We have sufficient strength to adapt.

Great piece.I''m surprised Jake sent that message. It''s clear to many people that all our attack minded players seem stifled by Chris Hughton''s tactics. It''s not the players fault.RVW and others must wonder if they made a big mistake in agreeing to come to Carrow Road in the first place

This thread is bordering on the imbecilic.    Hugton gets the blame for everything.  At Fulham, the team were losing and RVW came back to help the midfield, like any good player would who sees his team needs help. Holt used to do it all the time.   The fact that we still play Snodgrass and Johnson - and that Fox played shows the limitations of our squad.  Hoolahan could have played or come on - but frankly when Hoolahan played in the away game in the cup at Man Utd - he was anonymous against a team overunning us in midfield - as at Fulham.  

RVW is a class player - anyone can see that from his technique and composure - and intelligence.  He will score goals when we get the midfield to function with the best players in it.  Injuries are one thing you can''t blame Hughton for (well some could, I reckon) and it is midfield that is still causing us problems.  

Hughton?  Well he gets the blame for everything.  He is this season''s  scapegoat.   

He''s the manager and so the buck stops with him if his team is under performing - simple. The little matter of up to one million pounds a year in payment for his "efforts" says that he is fully responsible for the football department. Tough but fair.

LDC. I like your stoic support of Hughton, I really do. I defended him as well last season, when he did a good job in difficult circumstances with an inherited team.

But if isn''t Hughton''s fault that Norwich have shown no attacking philosophy all season, whose is it? We had Hoolahan and Fer on the bench against Fulham, both of whom should have been doing the job RVW took it upon himself to do. Whose fault was it that they were both left on the bench, forcing RVW to spend nearly all of the 2nd half far too deep?

If you could explain Hughton''s attacking philosophy to me I would like to hear it because I''m yet to see one this season.

When Howson and Fer were behind RVW earlier in the season was when we looked at our best as an attacking force. But even then, rather than play through the middle to feed RVW''s strengths, they too often put it out wide to wingers who are told to consistently cut inside, slowing attacks down and again playing against RVW''s strengths. Whose fault is that?

[quote user="Truculent Trucker"]He''s the manager and so the buck stops with him if his team is under performing - simple. The little matter of up to one million pounds a year in payment for his "efforts" says that he is fully responsible for the football department. Tough but fair.[/quote]

True, but players have their own responsibility to perform.  I''ve not seen anything with RVW that suggests he isn''t doing well.  Obviously a goal would help, but strikers sometimes take a while to settle. Patience is the key.   I know some have lost their patience.  RVW has to keep his - he is a professional and is doing - imo - a good job  "Hughton is wasting van Wolfswinkel" is just a flash headline, which imo means little in reality.  It just boosts the bandwagon that says every thing Hughton does is wrong.   

[quote user="lake district canary"] It just boosts the bandwagon that says every thing Hughton does is wrong.   

[/quote]

Then again there is another bandwagon that says nothing Hughton does is wrong. [:P]

[quote user="Daniel Brigham"]LDC. I like your stoic support of Hughton, I really do. I defended him as well last season, when he did a good job in difficult circumstances with an inherited team.

But if isn''t Hughton''s fault that Norwich have shown no attacking philosophy all season, whose is it? We had Hoolahan and Fer on the bench against Fulham, both of whom should have been doing the job RVW took it upon himself to do. Whose fault was it that they were both left on the bench, forcing RVW to spend nearly all of the 2nd half far too deep?

If you could explain Hughton''s attacking philosophy to me I would like to hear it because I''m yet to see one this season.

When Howson and Fer were behind RVW earlier in the season was when we looked at our best as an attacking force. But even then, rather than play through the middle to feed RVW''s strengths, they too often put it out wide to wingers who are told to consistently cut inside, slowing attacks down and again playing against RVW''s strengths. Whose fault is that?[/quote]

I don''t have all the answers, if any.  My opinion is that the players aren''t really up to the task.  Snodgrass and Redmond have been wasting a lot of chances to cross early, or cutting inside too slowly in Snodgrass''s case.  It drives me nuts to see Snodgrss get the ball out wide, dither, pass it then get the ball back, ignore the chance to get the ball in the box, then launch into a run at defenders when they are organised and in numbers.   Any striker is forced to wait, or go back and try and judge when to make another run.   Redmond has not been good at getting the ballo in the box either although at least he has pace to cause problems.   Add to the mix that Johnson''s passing is weak,  Fer has no real skilful support arround him and it is recipe for no end product.   Why aren''t the player''s up to the task?  That is down to injuries plus squad building and upgrading which doesn''t happen overnight.

Now Hughton is at fault for nothing?

Scapegoat? Please LDC, this is pretty poor!

If it isn''t his fault/responsibility who''s is it?

Who ultimately has the final say on who he wants in his squad/team?

Who ultimately decides on what is done in training?

Who ultimately decides what style of play is employed?

Who ultimately decides formations/tactics for each game?

Who ultimately is responsible for the fitness and wellbeing of the squad/team? (Before you go of on one, some injuries are avoidable!)

This is not scapegoating, but a simple fact of accountability!

I just cannot see how discussing the reasons why our biggest signing is not scoring can be imbecilic?  The reasons are being debated, most seem in agreement, and the responsibility for those reasons are ultimately under the control of the Manager. If players are making the wrong decisions is it not the responsibility of the Manager to sit them down, point the errors out and coach them into making the right decisions more often? If they then continue to not make the right decision and not listen to the coaching, then either the coaching is not good enough in getting the point across or the player is not good enough and you get rid.

All these things come under the manager''s responsibility and control. He is in charge and no-one else. As has been said before the buck stops here!

If this is not the case offer us an evidential alternative.

(However feel free to respond in kind to some of the more left field and obscure posts of criticism on here) [:)]

Snake

Robert Snodgrass has a lot to answer for !

RVW had just come back from injury for the Villa game and had the ball taken from him by Snodgrass when we were rewarded the penalty. If RVW had scored from the PK you don''t know what it might''ve done for his confidence - he might have gone on a goalscoring run - look at Hooper - he started off with a PK.

That one moment of indiscipline (by Snodgrass) may not only cost us a goal - it could cost us our premiership status - you never know - that point dropped could see us go down at the end of the season.. RVW & the club have certainly suffered from that action.

Snodgrass hasn''t the intelligence to play at this level.

Lake, my point though is that the wingers aren''t cutting inside all of the time because they feel like it. They''re cutting inside because it''s part of the gameplan. And that''s down to the manager.

Same with our midfielders pushing it out wide rather than playing through the middle. It''s the gameplan, and it isn''t working - and isn''t playing into the strengths of RVW or Hooper.

That''s why I feel Hughton is wasting their talents - I stand by the headline.

Interesting post.  Good points, well made IMO.

RvW, and Hooper too for that matter, are suffering from a lamentable lack of service - or, as Hapless would have it: "not enough crosses into the box" (since that is the only attacking strategy he considers). As has often been observed on here, the crosses situation isn''t helped by the ponderous pace of our wing play and playing the wingers on the wrong sides.  Whilst more crosses into the box would be an improvement, lone strikers in the Prem (unless they are man-mountains) don''t tend to prosper by crosses alone. Some imaginative passes and through-balls from a the top of midfield might be needed and, in that regard, Elmander is hopeless - but, actually, no problem: because Hoolahan is great...

I wouldn''t myself moan too much about Snodgrass either.  Yes, he cuts inside and shoots waywardly too often, but only because he''s too left-footed to play on the right wing. He loses the ball quite a bit - but only because he is trying to get at them; in some games, he''s the only one who is. His commitment and fight are consistently outstanding (not something we have too much of at the moment); and he is box to box - when he isn''t on the pitch the defence suffers hugely.

So I''d humbly suggest:

Play Hoolahan behind the striker(s), instead of Elmander;
Put the wingers on the proper sides FFS;
Decide when to play one or two up front depending on:
    The quality/setup of the opposition
    Who''s winning (why don''t we ever do that?)

Oh, and find that proverbial gaffer that makes them want to run through walls for him, as I believe the saying goes. The reason we are worse than last season, despite some great players coming in, is mostly that, it seems to me.

If only it were that simple!

[quote user="lowlyfendweller"]I wonder if he''d be more highly rated if he wasted his energy chasing lost causes and consistently went through the back of people.[/quote]

If it brought him and the team more goals, then he would be.

I get a feeling that if Hughton wants the tactics he''s currently employing, he''d have been better with this sort of striker.

[quote user="snake-eyes"]

Now Hughton is at fault for nothing?

Scapegoat? Please LDC, this is pretty poor!

If it isn''t his fault/responsibility who''s is it?

Who ultimately has the final say on who he wants in his squad/team?

Who ultimately decides on what is done in training?

Who ultimately decides what style of play is employed?

Who ultimately decides formations/tactics for each game?

Who ultimately is responsible for the fitness and wellbeing of the squad/team? (Before you go of on one, some injuries are avoidable!)

This is not scapegoating, but a simple fact of accountability!

I just cannot see how discussing the reasons why our biggest signing is not scoring can be imbecilic?  The reasons are being debated, most seem in agreement, and the responsibility for those reasons are ultimately under the control of the Manager. If players are making the wrong decisions is it not the responsibility of the Manager to sit them down, point the errors out and coach them into making the right decisions more often? If they then continue to not make the right decision and not listen to the coaching, then either the coaching is not good enough in getting the point across or the player is not good enough and you get rid.

All these things come under the manager''s responsibility and control. He is in charge and no-one else. As has been said before the buck stops here!

If this is not the case offer us an evidential alternative.

(However feel free to respond in kind to some of the more left field and obscure posts of criticism on here) [:)]

Snake

[/quote]

Err...who said Hughton was blameless? Not me.  I merely find the glee in which people pass ALL the blame on to him as unnecessarily kicking a man when he is down.    There has been a continuous theme on this board almost ever since Hughton arrived to find fault with him at every opportunity for every slight thing that isn''t quite right.   That is scapegoating.   He got little credit for the ten match unbeaten run, got little credit for finishing 11th.   You say its a results business, well yes it is.   The result of this season could still see us in mid table - we are only three points off that.   

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Daniel Brigham"]LDC. I like your stoic support of Hughton, I really do. I defended him as well last season, when he did a good job in difficult circumstances with an inherited team.

When Howson and Fer were behind RVW earlier in the season was when we looked at our best as an attacking force. But even then, rather than play through the middle to feed RVW''s strengths, they too often put it out wide to wingers who are told to consistently cut inside, slowing attacks down and again playing against RVW''s strengths. Whose fault is that?[/quote]

I don''t have all the answers, if any.  My opinion is that the players aren''t really up to the task.  Snodgrass and Redmond have been wasting a lot of chances to cross early, or cutting inside too slowly in Snodgrass''s case.  It drives me nuts to see Snodgrss get the ball out wide, dither, pass it then get the ball back, ignore the chance to get the ball in the box, then launch into a run at defenders when they are organised and in numbers.   Any striker is forced to wait, or go back and try and judge when to make another run.   Redmond has not been good at getting the ballo in the box either although at least he has pace to cause problems.   Add to the mix that Johnson''s passing is weak,  Fer has no real skilful support arround him and it is recipe for no end product.   Why aren''t the player''s up to the task?  That is down to injuries plus squad building and upgrading which doesn''t happen overnight.

[/quote]you really are quite clueless at timeshas it never occured to you that this is the job/problem t playershe manager is employed to deal with it is NOT down to injuries or this idiotic guff about squad building and upgrading (what on earth that is supposed to mean)the players have been here nearly SIX BL  OODY MONTHS and you are still trying to make up excuses

maybe, just maybe it might be down to the tactics Hughton is employing, the way his has them training at Colney and if they are not doing as he instructs then he is either a totally ineffective manager or he is a completely ineffective manager you choose

[quote user="lake district canary"]

I don''t have all the answers, if any. 

[/quote]

But you sure try to give the impression you do. [:D]

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Daniel Brigham"]LDC. I like your stoic support of Hughton, I really do. I defended him as well last season, when he did a good job in difficult circumstances with an inherited team.

When Howson and Fer were behind RVW earlier in the season was when we looked at our best as an attacking force. But even then, rather than play through the middle to feed RVW''s strengths, they too often put it out wide to wingers who are told to consistently cut inside, slowing attacks down and again playing against RVW''s strengths. Whose fault is that?[/quote]I don''t have all the answers, if any.  My opinion is that the players aren''t really up to the task.  Snodgrass and Redmond have been wasting a lot of chances to cross early, or cutting inside too slowly in Snodgrass''s case.  It drives me nuts to see Snodgrss get the ball out wide, dither, pass it then get the ball back, ignore the chance to get the ball in the box, then launch into a run at defenders when they are organised and in numbers.   Any striker is forced to wait, or go back and try and judge when to make another run.   Redmond has not been good at getting the ballo in the box either although at least he has pace to cause problems.   Add to the mix that Johnson''s passing is weak,  Fer has no real skilful support arround him and it is recipe for no end product.   Why aren''t the player''s up to the task?  That is down to injuries plus squad building and upgrading which doesn''t happen overnight.[/quote]you really are quite clueless at timeshas it never occured to you that this is the job/problem t playershe manager is employed to deal with it is NOT down to injuries or this idiotic guff about squad building and upgrading (what on earth that is supposed to mean)the players have been here nearly SIX BL  OODY MONTHS and you are still trying to make up excusesmaybe, just maybe it might be down to the tactics Hughton is employing, the way his has them training at Colney and if they are not doing as he instructs then he is either a totally ineffective manager or he is a completely ineffective manager you choose[/quote]Thank you and you are fairly obnoxious all the time.    So injuries to key players has no effect on team play?? Interesting.The players - RVW and Hooper have had large chunks out of the team through injury - so "six months" isn''t fair eitherTactics are more sophisticated than you make out - as several knowledgeable posters have pointed out - usually to howls of derision by those "in the know".  I know, the weather is Hughton''s fault too..........................

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="City1st"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Daniel Brigham"]LDC. I like your stoic support of Hughton, I really do. I defended him as well last season, when he did a good job in difficult circumstances with an inherited team.

When Howson and Fer were behind RVW earlier in the season was when we looked at our best as an attacking force. But even then, rather than play through the middle to feed RVW''s strengths, they too often put it out wide to wingers who are told to consistently cut inside, slowing attacks down and again playing against RVW''s strengths. Whose fault is that?[/quote]I don''t have all the answers, if any.  My opinion is that the players aren''t really up to the task.  Snodgrass and Redmond have been wasting a lot of chances to cross early, or cutting inside too slowly in Snodgrass''s case.  It drives me nuts to see Snodgrss get the ball out wide, dither, pass it then get the ball back, ignore the chance to get the ball in the box, then launch into a run at defenders when they are organised and in numbers.   Any striker is forced to wait, or go back and try and judge when to make another run.   Redmond has not been good at getting the ballo in the box either although at least he has pace to cause problems.   Add to the mix that Johnson''s passing is weak,  Fer has no real skilful support arround him and it is recipe for no end product.   Why aren''t the player''s up to the task?  That is down to injuries plus squad building and upgrading which doesn''t happen overnight.[/quote]you really are quite clueless at timeshas it never occured to you that this is the job/problem t playershe manager is employed to deal with it is NOT down to injuries or this idiotic guff about squad building and upgrading (what on earth that is supposed to mean)the players have been here nearly SIX BL  OODY MONTHS and you are still trying to make up excusesmaybe, just maybe it might be down to the tactics Hughton is employing, the way his has them training at Colney and if they are not doing as he instructs then he is either a totally ineffective manager or he is a completely ineffective manager you choose[/quote]Thank you and you are fairly obnoxious all the time.    So injuries to key players has no effect on team play?? Interesting.The players - RVW and Hooper have had large chunks out of the team through injury - so "six months" isn''t fair eitherTactics are more sophisticated than you make out - as several knowledgeable posters have pointed out - usually to howls of derision by those "in the know".  I know, the weather is Hughton''s fault too..........................

[/quote]you are really struggling now LDCthe end can''t be far nowin the meantime cast your mind back to last summer and can you imagine if MvNally had announced that we would be struggling in January because players would still be trying to cope Hughton had not sufficiently moulded them into his vision of playnow stop warbling on about the weather and accept for once that Hughton was appointed to managerand by that I don''t mean manage to c ock virtually everything upthe buck stops with him

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="City1st"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Daniel Brigham"]LDC. I like your stoic support of Hughton, I really do. I defended him as well last season, when he did a good job in difficult circumstances with an inherited team.

[/quote]you are really struggling now LDCthe end can''t be far nowin the meantime cast your mind back to last summer and can you imagine if MvNally had announced that we would be struggling in January because players would still be trying to cope Hughton had not sufficiently moulded them into his vision of playnow stop warbling on about the weather and accept for once that Hughton was appointed to managerand by that I don''t mean manage to c ock virtually everything upthe buck stops with him[/quote]Thank you I am not struggling - as you patently are because you haven''t answered my points.