Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Is our Quagliarella already at the club?

A number 10 to play behind the central striker seems to have been a priority we failed to acquire this summer. We''ve looked longingly at attacking midfielders, but is the solution to this problem already at the club? Im not sure any of our current strikers should play there, but what about other options? Hoolahan does a great job, but think he is most effective playing behind a front two. Behind a lone striker I think you have to be a direct threat on goal, which Hoolahan is not. Howson is probably our best long range threat. Whist not as dynamic as Wes, he is a direct threat. And he plays so much better here than in an orthodox cm role. I dont think fer should play here, we need his skills deeper. Snodgrass has had his critics, maily being his lack of pace and desire to cut in but generally not shoot - are his qualities better suited to a number 10 role? Pilkington - great shot on him, eye for goal, always thought he could play that central role. With pace being so important, moving pilks or snoddy inside and keeping the wing for players with pace (Redmond or Murphy) might help speed up our attacks. Even Johnson might do well here, physical presence without having to be so mobile, can head, and shots might be a bit closer to goal if he was! Is there any merit in trying to convert a player we already have for this role? For me, getting howson to think of himself as a deep lying forward might be the best use of his skills

Iv''e never really rated Pilkington out wide. Like you i think his best position is centrally behind a striker. But at the moment injurys are threatening to derail his career, i just hope for his sake he can get fit soon and stay fit.

pilks and wes are the only really viable options - and wes mainly if he was 3-4 years younger.

Pilks is exceptional out wide, not a winger but his quality shows - just we have a preference to attack down the right. He is a definite starter for me once fit again. I agree he could play central because he is two footed and has both pace and strength - with better wide coverage its a possibility

Pilks I think could do a great job. Being truly two-footed he can turn to shoot or play a through ball on either side without being off balance, wrong footed, or needing to come onto his stronger side, meaning he should be difficult to defend against, and unlikely to delay an opportunity due to it not sitting right. He is also likely to find himself drifting out onto the wing with the matural progression of moves (which used to see Holt and Morison crossing into the box rather than being on the end of it), so this would also mean his skills would be well used. He certainly has the instinct and ability to shoot and score goals. I really think moving Snodgrass inside might work well. Would still be on the pitch for set pieces, his lack of pace wouldnt slow down moves and his desire to cut in wouldnt limit play. When he throws himself to the ground looking for a free kick, it would also be in a more dangerous central area should the ref be taken in

From the thread name I thought you meant Quag was hiding in a cupboard at carrow road.