Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Wazzy's Ref Watch

Michael Oliver

The last time he was here he gave rather a good account of himself. Could he follow it up today?

The answer is no, not really. We had a good shout for a penalty for handball ignored,and I have to say I thought Oliver was not at the races today. Vorm finally got booked for horrendous time wasting Oliver was not even looking at him as he was busily running down the clock - having his back to him for most of the time, By the time he did finally book him - for what looked an innocent incident - he should have earned enough yellow cards for him to have been sent off in three games. Back to the old weak refereeing we normally see from Oliver, by pointing to his watch instead of having a word and showing the yellow card. This would have made his life a lot easier, and probably prevented all the dissent that followed after he finally did card him.

Michael Oliver 5 Can and should do better

Can you give me an example of when a goalkeeper has been booked for time wasting early on in a game?

I''ve certainly never seen it, neither has my Grandad who co plans about it every game. So not something Oliver can really be blamed for... He can''t decode to change the ''rules'' or understanding, whatever it is that prevents players being booked for early time wasting himself.

I can''t give you an example GP, but it is up to the officials to stamp it out. It''s easy really, all he needed to do was warn Vorm, if he felt he was time wasting. Then if he continued a yellow card is the punishment. Mr Oliver must have felt something was amiss by virtue of the fact he kept pointing at his watch when Vorm was delaying taking the kicks. That is not the answer and is weak reffing. He is in charge of the game, and should stamp his authority on it by not allowing players to dictate.

I remember sometime in the 80''s Graham Benstead got booked in the first minute for time wasting! it was definetely an away game possibly Liverpool.

It is up to the officials to stamp it out.

Like pushing/pulling. In the area,

Like players harassing them after they make a decision.

Like a few other things us fans moan about every week.

But essentially the referee can''t individually in one game decide he''s going to start doing things differently can he?

I agree in the sense Oliver didn''t seem to deal with Vorm as well as he could have, and the reaction from I think Williams and Vorm himself then was just ridiculous, both deserved a card from where I was sitting. But I often see referees pointing at their watches, he was song it too Olsson a couple times in the second half when he was taking an age to take throw ins mainly down to lack of options.

Canary23 wrote the following post at 15/12/2013 10:37 PM:

I remember sometime in the 80''s Graham Benstead got booked in the first minute for time wasting! it was definetely an away game possibly Liverpool.

How much time had he wasted?

Wazzy thought MO did give Vorm a warning. In the first half albeit from some distance but It seemed clear to me. So the booking when it came seemed fair.

He was warned, both directly and then MO through Williams during Dyers injury.

Should have had the Yellow for it very soon after that, in fact shouldnt have got past the 1st half hour

Thought the better shout for a penalty was for the defender hauling Fer down with both arms wrapped around him but as Fer still somehow managed to get the header in it seemed to go unnoticed.

It took Ruddy until the 74th minute to get booked last week for exactly the same issue; all keepers waste time when their team is in front, particularly away from home.