Sign in to follow this  

So what now for Javier Garrido? Martin Olsson has been absolutely fantastic since coming in, seems to have put Garrido firmly into second choice. So what does he do? Wait for a dip in form from Olsson or an injury? Or does he see this as the writing on the wall and consider a move for first team football? Cant see him getting in the first team any time soon - so how long does Garrido tolerate being back-up? Might he move on in the summer? Feel a bit sorry for him, as he is a good player, but Olsson is stronger, faster, and officially Swedens best defender. Is it that Garrido is less suited to English football than Olsson?

I would agree with all that. Olsson is faster, stronger, more attacking and probably a bit better defensively than Javier too. Feel sorry for him too. Maybe his level is top of championship really? One of those players destined to fill in at clubs and then replaced?

He''s a very important member of our 25 man squad. When he gets his next chance it''s up to him to take it. If we carry on progressing we will eventually improve on Olsson too.

Exactly. He now knows he is very much second choice to Olsson and it''ll be interesting to see how long he''ll accept that.

I think Garrido is a decent player but he does look like someone who is happy to play within his limits.

Oh deary me.

Olsson is clearly the better option in the way we play at the moment, however, I think Garrido is more solid defensively.

The problem with Olsson is that as he is more attack minded his positioning tends to be different and at times teams have taken advantage of this.

Garrido is much more defense first and his positioning tends to reflect this. In some ways I would have liked to have seen a left hand side with Garrido at full back and Olsson at left wing.

It''s maybe a tad harsh but I would then drop Johnson and move Fer back to the middle where he is most effective. Then we would have two wings to utalise and someone in the middle who can switch play deftly.

Whilst a team is winning - or at least, not losing, you''d be mad to change too much. Garrido is not worse - he just offers different qualities. His delivery of crosses is more consistent too.

[quote user="chicken"]Oh deary me.

Olsson is clearly the better option in the way we play at the moment, however, I think Garrido is more solid defensively.

The problem with Olsson is that as he is more attack minded his positioning tends to be different and at times teams have taken advantage of this.

Garrido is much more defense first and his positioning tends to reflect this. In some ways I would have liked to have seen a left hand side with Garrido at full back and Olsson at left wing.

It''s maybe a tad harsh but I would then drop Johnson and move Fer back to the middle where he is most effective. Then we would have two wings to utalise and someone in the middle who can switch play deftly.

Whilst a team is winning - or at least, not losing, you''d be mad to change too much. Garrido is not worse - he just offers different qualities. His delivery of crosses is more consistent too.[/quote]I have said the same thing many times, but i keep getting told olsson isnt a winger

I bet the same people are still saying the same thing about Bale . . . . . he''s not a winger/striker . . . .

In all seriousness. Good fullbacks can play wing as well. It''s not that much of a transition. Especially if they have either pace or can cross or a bit of both.

Steen Nedergaard anyone?

It''s why some players are suited to playing the wing-back role. I would say that of Olsson. He can cross, although on recent form somewhat inconsistently, and he has pace.

I think the issue at the moment is that his pace is useful against attacking wingers. Despite being full back, he very nearly saved Bassong embarrassment for the goal yesterday making up more ground than he had any right to, to get a challenge in on Dyer.

In fact, I almost wonder if Dyer would have got a meaningful shot of had Ruddy not come so far off his line. At that point it really was the only thing on for Dyer as the ball wasn''t dropping quick enough for anything else.

I feel sorry for him, and he had a similar experience with his last English club. I suspect the reason is that he lacks pace and perhaps consequently he tends to back away from wingers, and not tackle.

He''s like all our other fullbacks, better going forward than defending, (but then so is Leighton Baines), and it''s probably his lack of pace which keeps him from selection at the moment.

Does every players that isn''t playing at any given time got his own self-help recovery cheerleading squad?

Pull yourself together