Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Elmander

Couldn''t see a thread on Elmander (at least not a title with Elmander in it).

Am I the only one who thought he was absolutely superb yesterday? Seemed to win everything that came near him, set up the Hooper goal and another smart lay off in the box which should have been a goal.

Deserves some huge credit for the team play yesterday, despite not having a league goal yet he is completely selfless with the ball.

Is starting to look like a good player at this level as a foil for Hooper (and hopefully RVW), although still can''t see the point in ever starting him as a lone striker.

Just thought he was excellent yesterday.

I thought he grew into the game , and was playing really well second half, before being taken off.

We were talking about him not winning certain headers early on, (and no, we didn''t join in the ironic cheers later).

He closed down their players on the ball, and pressed well

When he stood next to Williams, he definately had height advantage over him,so he should be one of our more potent players in the air. One of his best games for us

Agree with you Le Juge. Elmander won almost every ball  directed at him in the air. Those he didn''t win he won a freekick. His lay off to Hooper reminded me of Newman setting up David Phillip in a game against Forest back in 93. It was very frustrating to see him & Redmond coming off. The pressure went off Swansea straight away.

We had our foot on their throats in that 2nd half, and Hughton unbelievably just let them off the hook. If he''d had brought on Hoolahan we''d still be bringing on a good player. But the 2 subs Becchio & Murphy are just not technically equipped to play opponents as good as Swansea. Murphy is too young and Becchio - yes I like & feel for the guy - but not enough to toss away 2 points ! It was a draw from that point on. 

You guys must of been watching a different game to me.

Thought he was poor, looked afraid to head the ball.

Was a good knock on for Hoops.

Felt Becchio was winning more when he came on.

Elmander is so underrated.He won''t score us the goals but he will do his job.His job is to frustrate defenders, supply the knockdowns and headers and to hold the ball upOn his day he is superb

"But the 2 subs Becchio & Murphy are just not technically equipped to play opponents as good as Swansea"

Murphy was just extremely nervous, an 18 year old being brought into a pumped Carrow Road who were baying for blood. Must have been pooping himself, but good experience for him.

[quote user="pablofarmer"]You guys must of been watching a different game to me.

Thought he was poor, looked afraid to head the ball.

Was a good knock on for Hoops.

Felt Becchio was winning more when he came on.[/quote]

You were DEFINITELY watching a different game.

There are differing opinions, then there is just not watching he game at all. Becchio won two free kicks and nothing else. He also have away two in the same time. Elmander won two headers in two mins before the knockdown for Hooper. Wom everything that cake near him second half, and a bit in first half. How on earth someone can come away from. That game sayin he looked afraid to head the ball is beyond me, it really is.

I don''t see the point of Elmander a striker who doesn''t score goals is no better than Steve Morrison. When rvw is fit the 2 up front should be hoops and him.

Elmander is like a pencil without any lead in it. Pointless

Hughton out. Messiah back

Le Juge, glad you saw this & I agree. One other thing I liked about him was despite some pretty hefty challenges going in to him from the Swansea defenders, he just picks himself up & goes again. No theatrics, no faking diving or gesticulating. The polar opposite of Holt, ( who I loved to see do all the above, but it did start to wear a bit thin). Chased harried & won the ball. An intelligent classy player. I dont think I saw him deliberately foul anyone. Starting to form a good relationship with Hooper, earlier on this season I thought he was playing too similar to the no 9, but now understands his role better. I saw him run a way over to Hooper to help him up on his feet again. A good team player. Thats why the Swedes have him alongside Ibrahimovic.  BTW ironic cheering? from where I was sitting he got a standing ovation.

[quote user="Waveney canary"]a striker who doesn''t score goals is no better than Steve Morrison. ...//....

Hughton out. Messiah back[/quote]Is this the same Steve Morison signed by the "Messiah". [:|]

[quote user="Eadie4England"]Sudperb ha ha ha !!!!! Donkey !!![/quote]

It never ceases to amaze me how some of our fans can be so disparaging about our players. You may not have thought he was that good , but really? Donkey?

He wasn''t superb but he did alright, a good game from him really.

He''ll struggle to win some people over though because he''s had a few poor games and they won''t be able to see beyond that.

A bit like a better Wilbraham really. Does a decent job for the team but not likely to score many (or any) goals and you know we need someone who carries a little more threat.

With all the attention that Hooper is going to get, it may be that Elmander might get a bit more space, I think he will be on the scoresheet before too long, a goal or 2 will certainly do him some good, but I wont care if he feeds Gary & the Wolf.

Elmander is definitely not a donkey as let''s not forget look at the teams he''s played for domestically and international. He really is not good enough though. To say he was superb yesterday is absolutely rediculous.

Yesterday he showed me precisely what the point in him is, when playing in a front two.

Set up Hooper and also created two other excellent chances, one of which should have been a certain goal and almost was.

He was like a 2011/12 Grant Holt. Then again, we had people calling Holt a donkey too - so if half of you couldn''t see it then good.... I''m probably right.

Needs to grab a league goal for his confidence but looking like an excellent foil for Hooper or RVW.

Like I said... the lack of goals make playing him as a lone striker a bit silly, especially without Pilkington and Snodgrass as inside forwards, but you could see yesterday precisely why he gets in the Sweden team ahead of Toivanan as a foil for Ibrahimovic.

As long as he keeps creating chances I want him on the pitch.

Sometimes good attackers & goalkeepers get better with age. Joe Royle was a case in point. He might not have had the legs, but he had the vision. They have played against some of the best defences & goalkeepers, & they know how it works, how to unlock a defence. Joe Royle made Norwich a lot of money by putting those kids through with his vision, Reeves & Fashanu did the legwork Royle did the thinking. There is a formula to unlocking a defence, sometimes a guy with a cool head can do it. Old dogs teach young dogs new tricks.

My only frustration with Elmander yesterday was that he was wasting a lot of his energy chasing down the keeper when nobody else was supporting him with the pressing. It may look pleasing to the crowd to see him charging down the keeper but unless there are two players putting on pressure, it''s often a waste of time. When Elmander chased down the keeper, Hooper or Fer needing to pressing on the defenders giving the keeper less options. A few times because Elmander was the only one chasing down, Vorm was able to just chip it over his head to defenders that had nobody near them. Elmander would then chase them down and they would play it around him again. He needed a bit more support from that as Vorm looked less than confident.

Good game from him and I know someone has made the comparison before but he plays a very similar role to Heskey. I would bet that every single striker that ever played with Heskey loved it (most have said as much) due to the completely unselfish nature of their play. They understand that their role is to setup the other players and they do it well.

However, to be truly effective at this, I still think you need to add a few goals to your tally. If you''re playing that role you should still be hoping to add between 5-10 goals for the team.

Hopefully Elmander will be able to do this but I do believe that once RvW is fit, we will possibly see Hooper being the deeper of the two strikers and RvW up top.

Howson is Now.

Thats exactly what Holt did. He chased lost causes and everyone loved it. Now Elmander is doing the same its being used as a negative?

And your comparison with Heskey is very apt.

Elmander and Heskey are exactly the kind of forward many fans just don''t get and can''t except they are of any use when not scoring goals. Got a couple of oddballs on twitter being going on about how useless Elmander is all week, even after yesterdays game! And one of them asked me if I rated Heskey, insinuating he was also rubbish.

I''ve said it before, you wouldn''t want Elmander being our main striker at the club. But he isn''t. Hooper and RVW fill that role. Elmander does a very useful job, and i''m sure Hooper loved the flick ons and Elamnder taking the hits from the defenders. He was fouled about 4/5 times in the second half, can''t remember Hooper being fouled once (he may have been though, just can''t remember it happening) which too me suggest Elmander is drawing the defenders away from Hooper allowing him the space to operate at his best.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I''ve said it before, you wouldn''t want Elmander being our main striker at the club. But he isn''t. Hooper and RVW fill that role. Elmander does a very useful job, and i''m sure Hooper loved the flick ons and Elamnder taking the hits from the defenders. He was fouled about 4/5 times in the second half, can''t remember Hooper being fouled once (he may have been though, just can''t remember it happening) which too me suggest Elmander is drawing the defenders away from Hooper allowing him the space to operate at his best.[/quote]^^ This. 100% agree with you GP.Elmander worked hard yesterday, and did a lot of the work that Hooper didn''t have to. He''s getting better with every game. Is he going to get you 15 goals a season? No. But by doing the hard work, he''s going to allow the guy next to him to get that many.

Strikers are judged normally on their goals to game ratio.

If you look at elmanders figures they are one of the worst in the premier league. He is the Sunderland of strikers.

This is fact and not my opinion

[quote user="Waveney canary"]Strikers are judged normally on their goals to game ratio.

If you look at elmanders figures they are one of the worst in the premier league. He is the Sunderland of strikers.

This is fact and not my opinion[/quote]Strikers are only judged on their goals to game ratio by people on message boards. I''m pretty sure other football people have better methods (Prozone to name just one). But thanks for sharing the ''facts''.