Sign in to follow this  
mbncfc1

fer left wing

If we had everyone fit and on form would Fer continue to play from the left of midfield?

If he''s done that well there and is having as much influence as some have suggested then surely we''ll look to continue playing him in that role/area for the long term.

But I think he''s more likely to be deployed centrally - because that''s where he is at his best.

Redmond and Hoolahoop playing on the wings against a side we play attacking formations with can work, against stronger sides it could be weak in defence though

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]Sorry but why is it not ideal ??

We spent most of our most successful period in the last 20 years generally playing with only 1 winger (more often than not none !) and now everyone seems obsessed with playing 2 that will service our non existent target man ?[/quote]
Because I''d rather have Fer playing centrally. He''s more effective n that role.

But Mr. Fry, needs must.

If Fer played more centrally, who could we play at the moment in the role he played Saturday?

If another wide midfielder/winger was brought in or even another midfield player of the same quality as him who could play that role, then fair enough.

Forgive me but when we played Fer Tettey and Howson was not Fer to the left of the three?

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]But Mr. Fry, needs must. If Fer played more centrally, who could we play at the moment in the role he played Saturday? If another wide midfielder/winger was brought in or even another midfield player of the same quality as him who could play that role, then fair enough. Forgive me but when we played Fer Tettey and Howson was not Fer to the left of the three?[/quote]

Fer and Howson were central with Tettey sitting behind them, although Fer did play on the left side of central - if you get what I mean.

Fer isn''t really playing as a winger, but I can see why people want him in the central two as his position against Swansea meant he had to do more defending to cover Olsson. My instinct would to have Johnson where Fer is but can see why Fer is there as he is a much more complete player and his position is far better. Also playing Johnson in that position would bring back far to many memories of Roeder having Matty Pattinson on the left wing...

Fer has had license to come inside as much as the wide players before him and has been more effective. What you are not saying is how you would accommodate Elmander.

Whilst I have been crying out for attacking football I am happy to admit I think 4-4-2 with 2 wingers would have been a mistake yesterday.

More Effective ? in the 2 games we played this formation he has an assist for the goal against WBA as well as a goal and created the best chance of the match yesterday. Hell if he can more effective than that i''ve never seen it !

I''ve only seen Fer play once (against Cardiff) but (to my surprise from all I''d read) he looked totally right-footed. He was always working to get the ball on that foot. Is he more comfortable with his left foot than seemed to be the case then? Or is Hughton taking a lesson from distant history, when we used Trevor Putney, who was primarily right-footed, on the left side of midfield?[8-|]

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]But Mr. Fry, needs must.

If Fer played more centrally, who could we play at the moment in the role he played Saturday?

If another wide midfielder/winger was brought in or even another midfield player of the same quality as him who could play that role, then fair enough.

Forgive me but when we played Fer Tettey and Howson was not Fer to the left of the three?[/quote]
Indeed, that sums up my position excellently. My response was to KeelansGlove who I think was trying to argue that we should continue playing Fer in this position, even after we have are wide players.

I was certainly saying that the worst thing that could happen was that we go back to the dire hit it from 35 yards over the strikers head football we have had to witness for so long.

I think without doubt that Fer is the best attacking midfielder we have (although probably just the best midfielder in any position) and playing him in this position has seen him play two perfect balls through to Hooper, one that created a goal and one that was acrobatically saved. Not to mention the goal he scored against West Brom.

I would like to see Fer play behind Hooper with RVW out wide but cannot see any way of playing 2 wingers with our current squad unless they allow us to play with 12 players.

None of our wingers have shown they can support a lone striker or give them any service.

KeelansGlove wrote the following post at 16/12/2013 10:11 AM:

Sorry but why is it not ideal ??

Only that it can leave Ollssen looking pretty exposed at times as he did against West Brom. When we were playing wingers on both sides they were proving a bit more cover when the full backs overlapped.

ok so what do you suggest ?

Leave ourselves open at the back and play 4-4-2 every week or go back to those good awful soul destroying performances we have had to put up with for the last 16 months ?

We either do not have a wide forward or do not have one that is any good and we also do not have a target man so I am keen to know the answer cusdp.

RVW has more pace than Elmander who has been played wide on occasion.

Currently it''s not broke so no need to fix it.

It''s extremely naive to think of only 2 formations, other options could be used such as 352 and dare I say it, the diamond. Your formation should depend on your opp, you shouldn''t have a rigid approach.

He is a centre forward who can hold the ball up and bring other in to play. Add to that a finisher. Putting him on the wing would be awful.

Just because he is quick doesn''t make him a winger.

I still don''t get this. Fer didn''t play on the left wing. Fer was very influential in the game as was Johnson, Howson and Elmander. Hughton''s selection was vindicated by the performance. Hughton won the battle with Laudrup on the day. The two key moments were brilliance from our striker and a mistake by our centreback. Although Dyer still finished competently.

The most influential players available on the pitch meant that we had the strength and character to come back from behind for the third time this season. We now must be top 6 for points won from losing positions. I''d now love to see us do that away from home. But as for yesterday we won a good point with a very solid and commited performance and were very close to getting all three.

Johnson was one of our weaker performers yesterday, struggle to see how anyone can say he was influential.

All you had to do was watch the game and notice how often he was absolutely nowhere near the action.

Well I reckon he was influential because he went back to doing what he does best. It''s not pretty but it''s effective and thus influential. He''s not going to be another Fer or Howson. But likewise they are not him. He was part of a unit who were effective against good opposition. What were you people expecting to see from him?

Oh my god once again I agree with Nutty, I think I may need a lie down.

Of course there are any number of formations including a 3-5-2 and yes it should depend on the opposition and yet it is you stating it would not be worth trying something different.

Redmond was fairly ineffective yesterday. A bit better second half but totally out of sorts in the first.There was nothing wrong with the subs, people have their favourites but its all a matter of opinion and hindsight. Elmander was just about run out so that had to be like for like and although he did his bit we looked less of a threat when Becchio came on.Yes he could have thrown Wes on for BJ for the last knockings but we would have been more open and might have conceded. You pay your money and take your choice but as the Messiah used to say, "if you can''t win, make sure you don''t lose".Who''d be a manager when there are so many internet experts waiting to criticise your every move.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]What does he do best nutty?[/quote]

Protect the back four, cover players out of position when we lose the ball and kick people!

Well perhaps kick is a bit harsh...

Intimidate?

The midfield worked as a unit and also worked better than Swanseas.

IMO the only times fer was a threat was from set pieces yesterday ,I''m not debating he didn''t do the job he was asked yesterday but I feel we miss the strength and attacking momentum he brings from the centre, I think howson is not as confident with bj playing along side him

I don''t think anyone doubts that Fer is better in the centre. But Hughton has had to cope with the loss of Snodgrass, Pilkington and Bennett. He has found a way of doing that with the personnel he put out on Saturday. He obviously feels that playing Fer on the left is preferable to playing Hoolahan or Murphy there. The fact that they got the better of Swansea would suggest he called it right. Against Palace he played Wes allowing Fer to be central and it was successful. At West Brom he went with yesterday''s midfield and was succesfull too. So he had a choice and went with the team from last week. I think he called it right again. I don''t think Fer is best played on the left but I do think we had a more solid unit yesterday than against Palace. And we were playing a much better side.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Didn''t mean my question to come across as funny, I agree with his qualities mate.

Just for me, his passing was a bit wayward yesterday.[/quote]
I would say Johnson had a good game and although he did make a couple of wayward passes he also made a couple good one''s to widen the play, particularly out to Ollson and Whittaker. 
He isn''t a ''pretty'' midfielder which may be why some mistake him as a bad player. Some time that tireless running and covering others in the midfield who press or, alternatively, doing the pressing himself goes a long way. Certainly a good example was winning the ball near the corner flag in our half leading to a quick counter.
Thought Redmond was poor and his passes were more wayward than Johnsons! But that''s what you''ll get with youngsters - i''d always risk having Redmond in the side because of the danger he''s capable of causing the oppositions back four.
When Johnson plays, we look a lot more solid. That''s just my opinion and maybe fact''s would argue against me. I always feel like we attain more points with Johnson in the side as to when he''s not. Obviously yet again facts might prove me wrong. I think, from when we signed him he''s improved a great deal at his main weaknesses which makes him a good option in that midfield. I thought it was testament to how well he done when he was pressing all the way up to that corner flag to win the ball at times, but when that wasn''t an option he sat and held his position.
I don''t buy this "Look how far away from the danger he was sometimes". Sound''s a bit...lame. It entirely depends on where and how Swansea were attacking and what the rest of the midfield were doing. If Johnson was away from the danger maybe that was because any danger in and around him he dealt with, and thus there was no real danger? [:D]

I don''t think we got the better of the swansea midfield especially first half and if Hooper wouldn''t have scored they would heve probably been bood off at half time (not by me however) yes second half we were better but Swansea haven''t got the greatest away record and we should play to are strengths at home and take the game to them

No, but who would you play at left back if Olsson, Garrido and Whittaker were injured? By the looks of Bassong yesterday he has his eye on Elmander''s position...

Think hughton wanted the stability in midfield without risking too much to be honest.

Swanseas 5 man with midfield, with michu even getting back might have been overrun with wes wide. Injuries pretty much dictated is as snodgrass pilks Bennett would all play ahead of Johnson with fer dropping back in.