Sign in to follow this  
mbncfc1

fer left wing

I don''t see the sense in this probably are best and most influential player this season looked lost for 75% of the game I know we have no wingers except Redmond at the moment but surely it would better to play Wes on the left who would create more when cutting in and leave us with a stronger central midfield

I would agree that Fer was being played out of position. But it does allow a formation with two strikers whilst also playing a holding midfielder. Yes we could have lined up as we did against Palace, but that would have been much more of a risk against Swansea.

Olsson on the left, garrido at left back. Whittaker at Rm, Redmond on the left.

3 at the back with wing backs. A diamond.

Lots of alternatives. You wouldn''t play 433 if you only had 1 fit striker so why do it with wingers? Square peg, round hole and we move our most influential player of late.

Decisions like these really frustrate me. A more tactically aware manager would prob change the formation to suit the players avail.

Not our Chris....

I have seen this messageboard when Wes is played on the left and it ain''t pretty. I thought Fer had as good game today. I doubt if Wes would have had the same impact. Fer is an upgrade on Wes I''m afraid much as I love the little fella.

I''d probably play Wes from the right and Redmond from the left, with Fer and Howson in the middle.

All four of them can make things happen with the ball.

[quote user="GJP"]

I''d probably play Wes from the right and Redmond from the left, with Fer and Howson in the middle.

[/quote]

Leave out who? Elmander? BJ?

Nobody was suggesting that before the game.

Nothing happened in the game to suggest he picked the wrong side. Did it?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

Leave out who? Elmander? BJ?

Nobody was suggesting that before the game.

Nothing happened in the game to suggest he picked the wrong side. Did it?

[/quote]

I''d have said that if you''d have asked me.

I''d leave out Johnson.

Thought it was pretty obvious it wasn''t working. Fer only has limited impact from the left wing and Johnson does very little to cause Swansea problems.

Swansea were knackered in the second half, they were there for the taking and we just didn''t really go for it. Was crying out for Wes to come on and help us put a few decent moves together.

I would take out bj yes he played well however fer can do exactly the same job and offers a much more attacking threat how many goals and assists has bj got this season compared to fer

I would have either played Wes left wing (as he played well against palace ) or bring in garrido and put Olson left wing

I thought Fer had massive influence in the game. Fer was easily my MOM and the best midfield player I''ve seen here for many moons. He even managed to foul their keeper when Turner hit the bar. That would have been an assist in my book. The most important place the most influential players can be is on the pitch. Fer, Howson, Elmander and Johnson were all influential today.

That''s the beauty of the game I guess. I can handle people having different views. Probably the least influential player today was Redmond. I wouldn''t make a case for Hoolahan to have played in his place though...

No, Hoolahan shouldn''t have played instead of Redmond. He should have played instead of Johnson.

Having said that, the Redmond/Murphy sub was wrong. In that game we needed someone with the experience and guile to come on and make something happen for us. Murphy was poor.

No, I was hoping he might create something but he didn''t.

But he wasn''t the man for the job.

Hoolahan was.

Firstly, I feel that calling Fer''s position ''left wing'' is actually quite inaccurate. If you look at his average position during the game, you''ll see that his average position was actually like a left-central midfielder in a 4-3-3 formation.
Secondly, to say that he was missing for 75% of the game is also inaccurate. He played the 2nd most passes of any Norwich player and the only attacking player to have more touches of the ball than him where Johnson and Redmond. It seems to me that he was actually quite heavily involved, just not in the way many were expecting. 
It seems to me that Fer was told to play his natural game, narrow and central, and allow space for Olsson on the overlap. I still think Fer is far more effective in a central position, but you have to take other factors into account. Ideally, without injuries, you''d have Pilkington or Redmond on the left and either Snodgrass or Redmond in the right. We have one fit wide player. We either play one of Fer or Hoolahan out wide to accommodate this or we call up Josh Murphy from the start (and in a game in which we were likely to spend more time without the ball then with it, I don''t blame Hughton for not wanting to risk it). 
If we play Hoolahan out wide, he has to play on the right, where he is allowed to cut in on to his stronger foot. this means Redmond has to play on the left and after watching Ben Davies (a very young full-back) struggling to cope with his pace and trickery on the right, I can certainly see why Hughton was willing to play Fer slightly out of position to get the best out of Redmond.  

Personally the sooner we get one of our wingers back the better, Fer runs the show from the center of the pitch and it''s his distribution forward out out wide that has created a lot of positive moves for us. He was solid today but didn''t get a chance to really influence the match.

It''s all in the lap of the gods aint it. Josh could have come on and put in a screamer like he did at Luton. As it was he did little. Wes could have come on and slid Hooper in or he could have lost the ball in midfield leading to a Swansea winner. We will never know will we.

I think Hughton picked the right team today. Influential players meant we came back from a losing position for the third time this season. That''s not a given when you gift a team like Swansea the first goal. Another day we''d have won it. We have no god given right to win it. When you come from behind any point is a good point.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

It''s all in the lap of the gods aint it. Josh could have come on and put in a screamer like he did at Luton. As it was he did little. Wes could have come on and slid Hooper in or he could have lost the ball in midfield leading to a Swansea winner. We will never know will we.

I think Hughton picked the right team today. Influential players meant we came back from a losing position for the third time this season. That''s not a given when you gift a team like Swansea the first goal. Another day we''d have won it. We have no god given right to win it. When you come from behind any point is a good point.

[/quote]
A screamer like he did at Luton? Was it not Watford in the cup he did that against?

[quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]
A screamer like he did at Luton? Was it not Watford in the cup he did that against?
[/quote]

Pedantic. Yawn.

[quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Pedantic. Yawn.

We limited A normally attacking Swansea to virtually no chances. They only scored because we gave them a soft goal.

We had the best of the chances, Vorm pulled out a brilliant save, they cleared one off the line and got lucky with the one that can back off the bar. We were the more likely winners.

Compare that to the game in April where we got a draw because Swansea were quite profligate in front of goal on that day. They looked the more likely winners then.

So I am prepared to say well done Hughton. It certainly looks as though he has learnt and corrected. OK it was not the prettiest of games yesterday, but had Vorm not have made that brilliant save, we would have had the three points. Yes possibly we could have gone for it a bit more in the final 15 mins but as Nutty has said we will never know what might have been the outcome of a change of formation.

Thank you Mr Fry for an understanding of the game.

Leroy Fer on the left wing? He was no more a left winger than I was (in fact I was probably nearer the left wing than he was for more of the match).

A winger is a player who attacks a defence from a wide position getting crosses in from deep positions; (something that Redmond can do on the right,something that Snodgrass cannot do on the right). Leroy Fer was the left sided player in a three man midfield.

So who played as a left winger?

No-one!

Yes deaf translator.

Lets always worry about the opposition and not try to impose a way on them.

3 at te back would''ve flooded te midfield. We would arguably have got closer to them. They play most of there passes in a narrow central area. Maybe encouraging them to play wider would''ve worked.

They only had 1 up top, if have been completely comfortable with 3 v 1.

It certainly would''ve been more effective than fer on the left.

People seem to think the only formations available are 442 and 451. You play the formation to suit the starting 11. Yesterday 2 wide men wasn''t the answer.

Not entirely sure I feel comfortable on the same side of the fence as Nutty but I will have to live with it.

I loved yesterdays game, thought we looked good against a decent side and created enough chances to win the game. If Bassong had not been asleep for their goal I am sure we would have won.

I thought Fer was immense and could in fact be the missing number 10 (beautiful pass to Hooper again that would have certainly been a goal but for Vorms acrobatics)

I think the biggest problem with Hoolahan at this level is he just doesn''t give us enough. We need a creative midfielder with passes and goals (Fer has both AND tackles !!)

I would like to see Ricky played in the wide role with Fer in behind Hooper before January or perhaps 4-4-2 with Snoddy and Redmond Wide and Fer and Howson in the middle.

There are any number of formations we can try but the truth of the matter is we need our best players on the pitch and creating goals.

I hope that Hughton has at last realised we do not have a target man Like Caroll or Zigic that will flourish with 2 wingers and get some service to our strikers with other formations.

Being at University there at the time, I saw a lot of Leeds Utd in 2000 and the years after that. What we are doing with Fer at the moment reminds me very much of how Leeds played under O''Leary, albeit on opposite flanks. That team had a talented winger (Kewell) on the left, and played with Bowyer (who at the time was one of the top midfielders in the division) on the right. Bowyer wouldnt play like a winger, or even a wide midfielder, he would regularly drift inside - the width would come from Danny Mills steaming forward from right-back.

We''re doing pretty much the same thing, with Olsson providing the real wing play on the left. It was pretty effective for Leeds, but relied on the formation being pretty fluid (ie covering when players took up their runs). So whilst I dislike the tactic on paper, having seen it work well for Leeds, no reason it couldnt work well for us. Olsson certainly has the attributes to perform that role well, but the rest of the team need to do their job too

Phillip J Fry wrote the following post at 16/12/2013 12:36 AM:

"It seems to me that Fer was told to play his natural game, narrow and central, and allow space for Olsson on the overlap. I still think Fer is far more effective in a central position, but you have to take other factors into account. Ideally, without injuries, you''d have Pilkington or Redmond on the left and either Snodgrass or Redmond in the right. We have one fit wide player."

That''s the way I saw it as well! he was coming more central and we saw a lot of Olsson coming forward, we have limited options ATM and this isn''t ideal but not sure anything else would be better with what is available.

Sorry but why is it not ideal ??

We spent most of our most successful period in the last 20 years generally playing with only 1 winger (more often than not none !) and now everyone seems obsessed with playing 2 that will service our non existent target man ?