Sign in to follow this  
It's Character Forming

A striker like Hooper at City

I love the fact that when Hooper gets a chance you feel confidence that he''ll put it away.  To the point that it was actually a shock on Saturday when he dispossessed their defender but ended up putting it wide.  Against Palace or WBA it was a case of pull the trigger - back of the net.

I''m trying to remember previous strikers that made me feel that way and it''s been pretty rare at City. Bellamy before his injury was the same sort of clinical finisher.  Not something we often see in our team and it''s great to have Hooper in the team.

I''m happy to say that my initial doubts bout Hooper are being turned around. I thought the prem might be a bit too good for him - SPL is hardly the same standard and he didn''t show all that much in his first few performances. Now though, he seems to have gotten up to speed, and if his recent scoring continues, we''ll stay up comfortably again.

I don''t think we''ve seen enough of RVW yet to say for sure whether/how he and Hooper will work together. However, if they both get firing and working hard for each other and the team, then we could be very very dangerous.

[quote user="Waveney canary"]Changing the subject how is Lansbury doing at your local team?[/quote]

Well, your team played against Forest at the weekend Waveney - how did you think Lansbury got on?  Or do you not travel to away games ?

Do you get internet streams showing games in the Championship?

Whats impressive about Hooper is his ability to finish cold. He''s like a truly excellent goalkeeper who hasnt had to do anything all game then pulls off a world class save at the death. He''s not like plenty of other strikers like Andrew Cole, who was famously described as needing 5 chances to score one, Hooper seems to rarely have a sniff in both games, but ruthlessly takes his opportunity when it comes without having to get his eye in. Lethal

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

I love the fact that when Hooper gets a chance you feel confidence that he''ll put it away.  To the point that it was actually a shock on Saturday when he dispossessed their defender but ended up putting it wide.  Against Palace or WBA it was a case of pull the trigger - back of the net.

I''m trying to remember previous strikers that made me feel that way and it''s been pretty rare at City. Bellamy before his injury was the same sort of clinical finisher.  Not something we often see in our team and it''s great to have Hooper in the team.

[/quote]He DID score yesterday as well [;)]

I saw him play when I was younger when he played for Hereford, always seemed like one of those players that could finish at any level providing he has the right service, even international imo.

Actually just saw Hooper''s goal for the first time. Absolutely outstanding control and finishing. Mind you, Hughton was right to praise Elmander for the way he set it up. Cracking interplay.

Ted MacDougall is the only NCFC striker I''ve seen who fits the OP''s idea of someone you just expect to score when in a good position. Not necessarily the best striker we''ve ever had (although in the running ) but the surest pure goalscorer.

I believe his Strike rate (Shots/goals ratio) at Celtic was something like 2.5. it''s quite obvious he isn''t as good as suarez, aguero, rooney, in terms of overall skill that is, But he is one of the best finishers in the game and is very clinical. England will be hurt if he is missing from Brazil. being in a line up any of the following in a front three of sturridge, hooper, welbeck, and Rane Wooney will be a deadly force.

Dean Coney for me, every time a keeper the the ball at his arse I knew the ball would hit the net.

[quote user="Darren Lamb"]Earnshaw?[/quote]

Earnshaw normally needed 3 relatively clear chances to tuck one away, in my opinion.

Curious no-one has mentioned Holt.  I always felt given a clear cut chance he would put the ball away.  Maybe not the last season he was here, but there are few that have had the ability to score that he had in his time here taken overall.   One on one, you knew he would score.   Headers and more unusual goals - he may not have looked as clinical as some that have been mentioned - but just as effective.   And I''ve never seen a better goal than the header at Liverpool.   You could see he was going to make the ball his, as soon as the cross started to come over.   Penalties too.  Only one missed as far as I can remember.