Sign in to follow this  

Are the new City players FINALLY........

Yes, amazingly it does sometimes take time for players to learn their teammates, the system and the league that they are playing in.

One thing that Hughton has got right throughout his time at the Club is his transfer record - he''s made very few poor signings and alot of success stories.

You can guarantee that at some point Leroy Fer is going to move on for big money. There are others who have the potential to do so too. Hooper is looking a fantastic signing (despite the fact not so long ago on here suggesting that Hughton destroys striker''s careers). Add to that Bassong, Whittaker, Garrido, Olsson, Snodgrass, Redmond and I would say his record is pretty decent.

Granted the jury is still out on some, RVW, Elmander, the latter who for me has really improved in the last two games, but overall apart from Butterfield and Becchio (!) I can''t think of too many signings who have failed.

I think it''s pretty obvious that they are now, que I told you so comments from the ever so wise!

It was interesting to hear the comments on MOTD2 last night about Spurs having made so many signings and how long it takes to both get them to gel and to work out what is the right line-up.

They could have been talking about NCFC, but we haven''t blown £ 100,000,000.

It really is turning into a very interesting season and no team is a cert to go down yet - anyone from Hull/AV could get the drop.

[quote user="Trevor Hockeys Beard"]It was interesting to hear the comments on MOTD2 last night about Spurs having made so many signings and how long it takes to both get them to gel and to work out what is the right line-up.

They could have been talking about NCFC, but we haven''t blown £ 100,000,000.

It really is turning into a very interesting season and no team is a cert to go down yet - anyone from Hull/AV could get the drop.[/quote]
I''d say Sunderland are doomed - not really any better since Poyet has come in and they need about 1.5 points per game to get to 40. That''s a little less than the number of points from each game Liverpool managed last season, I really cannot see how Sunderland could suddenly have top 8 form across the next 20 games.
Although as you say, apart from Sunderland, it is much tighter at the bottom of the league than this time last season when QPR had 7 points and Reading had 9 but I still would be majorly surprised if Palace survive. 

Good points Bethnal and you may be right.

I thought Sunderland created several good chances on Saturday, but Poyet may not be the man for the job.

Pulis, on the other hand, may well be the right man for Palace and this could be another year where all three promoted clubs stay up - which then means we are one of five teams to fill the three spots.

Brilliant!!! from ''are the new players starting to gel'' to '' if all three promoted teams survive, then we are are one of three from five that''ll go down..''...l in Eight comments!! that why i come here during Eastenders.

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"][quote user="RvWs 4 year contract"]Is that ANOTHER U-turn Wiz?

[/quote]

If it is then respect due. Sign of an open mind.
[/quote]

I admit I am wavering now my friend, although for now, my signature is staying put, I''ve seen mini revivals before with CH.

But he is slowly showing signs of a more adventerious tactical nature.

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="littleyellowbirdie"][quote user="RvWs 4 year contract"]Is that ANOTHER U-turn Wiz?[/quote]

If it is then respect due. Sign of an open mind. [/quote]

I admit I am wavering now my friend, although for now, my signature is staying put, I''ve seen mini revivals before with CH.

But he is slowly showing signs of a more adventerious tactical nature.[/quote]

No, he isn''t.  He is simply starting to get the team to play in the way he always wanted them to play. 

I think that they are. Fer, Elmander, Olsson and Redmond are beginning to make significant contributions. Hooper is coming good, and the manager commented on how much the striker is helping elsewhere on the field.

Some of this could need a new kick as the injured begin to drift back into the available squad, and new formations appear, but this adjustment should not take too long as they have been watching play and become acquainted off field.

I disagree in fact the opposite, at last Hughton is starting to play to the players strengths rather than forcing them to play a system that simply doesn''t work for us and wont until we have either a wide forward or a No10 / False 9.

Long may it continue.

Some truth in that, but I don''t buy CH being rigid about formations. I see it as 4-3-3 in attack, reverting to a 4-5-1 when the ball is lost. The injuries have made this more difficult, so he has used Elmander to support Hooper up front. that has clicked and they seem to be building a good understanding up front. Long may that continue, with the added possibility of RvW!

Oh yes Yellow Since 72 hits the nail right on the head, and yes Wiz this team/squad is starting to gel, and I feel would have been more advanced in the evolvement had we not been hit by key players being injured.......and it is a gradual evolvement and some of us are a little more patient than others, but that''s fine. Now we have plenty of talent to come back for the rest of the season, so its looking much better......but a warning, lets not under estimate Sunderland.....despite being bottom they are capable of beating most sides at home.

@KeelansGlove: Not sure I agree. I think it is a bit of both.

I think we have played a 4-3-3 but you''ll always tell those two attacking wide men to drop to prevent midfield from getting outnumbered.

The difficulty with this is that at times the midfield three will drop and not offer much going forward, especially if lacking confidence, which puts pressure on the two wide attackers to do the linking between the midfield and attackers, thus making us look more like a 4-5-1.

When we had Snodgrass and Pilkington doing this we tended to see Pilks getting up in support of the lone striker well but for whatever reason Snoddy wasn''t as much.

With Redmond coming in on the right we have a player with pace who can afford to sit a little deeper as his pace will carry him forward more often than not.

I don''t think any players were played out of position in that regard. Fer is used to playing as part of a midfield three. RVW is used to playing as the central striker in a 4-3-3. Elmander has played as part of that system before.

The other thing that didn''t help was a very tough run of games and international breaks which never allowed the team a real chance of getting a decent run together. Yes we got results against tough opposition last season, but most were at home.