Sign in to follow this  
Redders Right Foot

A successful manager that truly loves Norwich?

When was the last time we had one?

We were just a stepping stone to Lambert, He loved what he did here, but didn''t love the club itself it seems.

Hughtons hard to read. The over used term to describe him is "footballs nice guy" - but would he leave the first opportunity that came along with a big club (if it were to ever happen?)

I was young when it started, but I remember all of Worthys reign as I got my season ticket around the beginning of it. although his personality seems to escape my memory.

so the question remains to those who, lets say, have been around a bit longer than I. Who was the last manager we had that wore the club on his sleeve?

DAVE STRINGER.     LEGEND, a much used term, but in this case he was total legend. Gorleston lad, as a player the best no 4 I saw in a city shirt, took the youth team into infinity & beyond.

You have to go for Dave Stringer - a local lad, he all-but spent his career at the club, and we formed into a very decent side under hiim; IMO he was as responsible for our 92/93 season as Walker.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Has to be Gunny really doesnt it ?[/quote]Gunn wasn''t exactly a successful manager though I''m sorry to say.I think a manager really loving a club is a rare thing these days, Alex Ferguson with Man U and José Morinho with Chelsea being the only two exceptions I can think of, but then with the ease with which clubs dispense with them at the first sign of a bad patch I''m not sure they can really afford to not be fairly detached about the job.The only real loyalty in football these days is a fan''s to the club brand.  Even as far as fans towards players only goes as far as if they''re getting results. Bassong is a case in point. He was a hero last year. His form hasn''t been as good this year following a pretty major operation and suddenly there''s criticism thrown at him on every slip-up. Steve Morison was popular all the while he was scoring. Same with managers. Steve Clark did a great job last year at West Brom. Wasn''t delivering at the same level this year so out on his ear. Sorry to say that any manager that invested to much of himself beyond doing the job to the best of his abilities is setting himself up for a disappointment.

Its easy for Fergie and Jose to get all watery eyed when they are on the payroll of Man U and Chelsea theres really no where to go.

A bit like Ryan Giggs, give him a bloody medal loyalty ? yeah right.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]Its easy for Fergie and Jose to get all watery eyed when they are on the payroll of Man U and Chelsea theres really no where to go.

A bit like Ryan Giggs, give him a bloody medal loyalty ? yeah right.[/quote]Possibly valid regarding Ferguson, but arguably Morinho took a step down going to Chelsea from Real Madrid.

Really not sure there ever has been or ever will be a successful manager who really loves Norwich city.

Brown and Stringer are from a different time and I would guess it was unlikely a bigger club would try to tempt them from us (unless someone knows different)

Managers either tend to be ambitious Walker/Lambert or just not very good too many to list.

Can''t really imagine someone being successful with us and not thinking they have a point to prove. Maybe if Hucks ever gets into management !

I''d argue Gunny was vastly successful as a manager. His key signings of Grant Holt and Paul Lambert were pivotal in our recent history !!!!!

Jokes aside, didnt read the "successful" criteria

Love is important as it normally comes with Passion.

As an employee if you love your job you''ll go that extra bit further than just caring about your paycheque.

[quote user="Crispy"]Love is important as it normally comes with Passion.

As an employee if you love your job you''ll go that extra bit further than just caring about your paycheque.[/quote]

Loving your job is different from Loving your club.

I doubt any managers "Love" their clubs... possible excpetions are Dario Gradi and Fergie... Mourinho loves whoever strokes his ego and will be off again as soon as a cheque lands under his nose.

Reality is that a manager loving his club doesn''t help, just look at Gunn, or there was that guy at Sheff Utd who was apparently a lifelong fan but only lasted half a season before they sacked him

Average tenure of a Prem manager is now absurdly short.  You''d think twice about bothering to bring in personal stuff for your desk, never mind loving the club.

Theres no question Gunn loved the club. It was his love of the club that made him take the job when he really shouldnt have. Love of the club that put himself in a position where he went from cult hero to a hate figure. Feel sorry for him, which one of us armchair managers wouldnt take such an opportunity?  But no, he wasnt successful bless him. Maybe we were taken in by Lambert and why his leaving hurt us so. Perhaps we thought we were special to him after all we''d been through. What love-fools we were...

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Theres no question Gunn loved the club. It was his love of the club that made him take the job when he really shouldnt have. Love of the club that put himself in a position where he went from cult hero to a hate figure. Feel sorry for him, which one of us armchair managers wouldnt take such an opportunity?  But no, he wasnt successful bless him. Maybe we were taken in by Lambert and why his leaving hurt us so. Perhaps we thought we were special to him after all we''d been through. What love-fools we were...[/quote]

a good point, some fans are not old enough to remember Gunny in his playing days. 420 games in 12 years, an F A Cup semi final, League cup quarter finals and the European Run.

It''s sad it ended the way it did. but more so those who didn''t see what Gunny gave to the club, the city and wider community as a whole. A bad back injury nearly saw us relegated in 1991/92, a broken leg did see us relegated in 1994/95. Had gunny have been fit I honestly think we''d have won the FA Cup in 92 and stayed up in 1995.

what club would we be now?

Gunn loved the club, no doubt about that but deary me. We just invented jobs for him like they were going out of fashion at one point.

His disastrous stint as manager rightly ended his time with the club. He really did hang on and get everything he could out of NCFC. It became a bit embarrassing. Especially his conduct the day after we were relegated to League 1, at the Open Day.

Arguing with fans who were asking testing questions as to why we now found ourselves in League 1. That period with him in charge was just gut wrenchingly embarrassing. Mind you, we had to sink that low to get Lambert, so every cloud...(Boy, what a cloud!)