Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

How Has Hughton Turned Norwich Around?

Interesting stat about Nathan Redmond creating a clear cut chance every 186 minutes, seems quite poor but actually 3rd best in the league.

Home games against Palace and West Ham have helped , lets see if we can keep it going against an improving and desperate for a win Sunderland .

[quote user="Mr Angry"]Interesting stat about Nathan Redmond creating a clear cut chance every 186 minutes, seems quite poor but actually 3rd best in the league.[/quote]I saw the quote but I''m not sure where the statistics are. Seems a little dubious to me and perhaps one of those where you can do anything with statistics if you work at it. However, given the individual scoring leaders and the players for the teams at the top I regularly see creating good chances let alone the ones they score, if Nathan Redmond is in third place we must be missing a ton of clear cut chances and, frankly, I just don''t see it.

For me yes he has turned it around. It took him a long time to realise that one size does not fit all and that in games we need to win a 4-5-1 formation will not give us enough chances (and I truly believe we do not have the wide players to claim 4-3-3)

Since the West Ham games various mixtures have been tried with a view to getting service to Hooper and we are reaping the rewards. We have not given a striker decent service since Hughton arrived.

Not only that but we all (players included) start to believe we can get something from games, which makes watching NCFC far more enjoyable.

Hopefully we wont go back to the bad old days, except maybe against the top teams but even then we have to make the most of what we have.

Ensure Redmond is not pulled back for corners and he is the go to pass if a ball is intercepted not only will this create chances but also probably reduce the pressure at set pieces as the opposition will think seriously how many defenders can they commit forward.

I have been very critical of Hughton and Im still not sure he has a fluid enough feel for managing in the premier league but while he is putting out a team looking to win matches and creating chances he has my full support.

Quite a good article. There persists among supporters a lack of confidence in the managers style, albeit i sense this is changing somewhat, particularly against the bottom half sides. The recent smashing of Arsenal and Spurs has put some of our heavy defeats in perspective. We do need a bit more quality but the new signings are starting to bed in. We have the potential in Hooper and fer to have 2 top quality players and time will tell if RVW will make his mark, i hope so. I doubt we will make many signings in january but expect further quality in the summer as we hope to build upon what we have. 10th to 16th is the slot that we realistically operate in at the moment although the higher up that mini league the better

You can tell its starting to come around because of the massive amount of reversing on here. Great barometer, more damage control = improvement.

"I never said I never wanted Hughton I just want Norwich to improve"

"Listen guys, we all want the same thing and that Norwich to get better"

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! WARNING, VEHICLE REVERSING!

Redmond has been key since the liverpool game - been far more consistent in his approach and his self criticism is refreshing - he is visibly learning year continues to both threat the opposition and create chances for others.  I struggle the extent of abuse he gets,   making 

Yes he is inconsistent - but thats what you get with a youngster,  he will only improve,  and if you are trying to create you will give the ball away.   I would much rather that than losing it in sloppy sideways or backwards passing.     And other than him who in our team tries to go past players?

But Fer has been excellent and continues to improve.

He hasn''t tuned us around at all. He''s scraped a coupe of results which is great, but the performances are still, at times, woeful. Thankfully points aren''t awarded on performance.

I still despise the thought of regular football served up the Hughton way. IMO we are still more likely to go on a winless run then an unbeaten one. The Palace and West Brom games finally showed a bit of steel and determination to see a result out - but for me, nothing has been turned around.

this just in, we can now confirm everyone in Lincoln is Miserable, repeat, miserable.

I would say that things are going in our favour, especially with the emergence of Hooper as a very good striker and other players like Fer beginning to fit in. Add to this a new flexibility and adaptability in the manager, and we may be a little more hopeful.

There is a BUT, however, which is that the defence looks vulnerable. There is always the possibility of losing concentration, being out of position, missing a tackle, or whatever. Ruddy performed heroics at the Hawthorns, but there was no disguising the fact that the Baggies ran through at times as if our defence didn''t exist.

Once we have a reasonably full available squad from which to choose, and especially with Tettey available, we shall see how good our defence could become. At the moment they do not seem mean enough, and are likely to be careless.

[quote user="Salopian"]I would say that things are going in our favour, especially with the emergence of Hooper as a very good striker and other players like Fer beginning to fit in. Add to this a new flexibility and adaptability in the manager, and we may be a little more hopeful. [/quote]

I just don''t get this.  Surely the manager is simply getting his team to play better as they get to know each other and playing while coping with injuries in key players.  There is nothing "new" about it. 

Hughton has shown a willingness to learn and grow as a manger, what we were all hoping for, long may it continue!

I think it''s fairly clear that Hughton knew he was on the brink at times this season and seems willing to try different things in order to keep his job.

However, I think giving him to the end of the season, keeping us up, then bringing in someone new in the summer is the best option.

The quality of our playing squad has surpassed the quality of our management team, in my opinion.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Hughton has shown a willingness to learn and grow as a manger, what we were all hoping for, long may it continue![/quote]

Huzzah!

If he carries on in this vein he could eventually hold a candle to us message board bods[Y]

He hasn''t tuned us around at all. He''s scraped a coupe of results which is great, but the performances are still, at times, woeful. Thankfully points aren''t awarded on performance.

I agree with Lincoln

See the problem I have with this "scraped a couple of wins" is that we''ve won 5 already this season and 10 other clubs can''t better that....

For me the one thing he needs to "turn around" at the moment is Seb Bassong. It''s clear to everyone that he is not the player he was last season, and yes, there may be mitigating circumstances, but if CH can just get the captain back to his best I believe we can be top half. As long as Seb, and the defence in general, keep gifting the opposition goals like on Saturday, then no amount of tactical know how or improving strike force is going to save us.

I think there is not a player in the squad that couldn''t improve, I don''t think anyone is yet performing at their full potential which means they can get much better than they already are. The good news is that we are still on an upward trend and heading in the right direction. Having patience will pay dividends in the long term.Our front two strikers are coming along really well now and building a hard-working partnership. Tetty is a big loss at the moment, we looked much more solid as a unit just before he got injured. Still a lot of hard work to be done but I''m confident CH will get the best out of this team.

Silly for anyone to say that all the "sceptics" on here are busy reversing or climbing down, when, the reality is twofold :Hughton has, over the last few games actually done what many on here have been imploring him to do for months...ie decided to show a bit more positivity. And he''s reaping the rewards. I''m not deluded enough that his change in emphasis has been down to him taking the advice of posters on here, but the fact remains, whatever has caused it, it''s a welcome development.Secondly, as others have said, it''s a bit early to say with any sense of certainty that he''s "turned it around". We are still giving away the kind of soft goal so clearly demonstrated by Bassong''s non-exisatant challenge on Dyer .That must stop. Only then, and we are winning games like we should have on Sunday, will it be fair to say we''ve completely turned the corner.But, it''s a work in progress still, and the signs overall are good.

He hasn''t turned things around at all yet but he''s making some progress. We''re still in a precarious position in the table and the performances have only showed a slight improvement in the last month or so. Certainly feel we could have done a little bit more to win the game on Sunday. Those two extra points would have been extra valuable.

I do think CH deserves credit, especially with the disruption that injuries have caused. RvW was just finding his feet when he was injured. Fortunately, Hooper came fit again at that time but had to gain match fitness and the rest of the team adjust to him. The Tettey, Pilks and Snods injuries just compounded this. Now Hooper has settled in, CH has found the way to get him service through Elmander in the supporting role. The understanding between all the players seems to be growing and that bodes well. Hooper has said that he feels that he can play with RvW and that could make a huge difference to the rest of the season. What an attack that could be.

Silly for anyone to say that all the "sceptics" on here are busy reversing or climbing down, when, the reality is twofold :

Hughton has, over the last few games actually done what many on here have been imploring him to do for months...ie decided to show a bit more positivity. And he''s reaping the rewards. I''m not deluded enough that his change in emphasis has been down to him taking the advice of posters on here, but the fact remains, whatever has caused it, it''s a welcome development.

Secondly, as others have said, it''s a bit early to say with any sense of certainty that he''s "turned it around". We are still giving away the kind of soft goal so clearly demonstrated by Bassong''s non-exisatant challenge on Dyer .That must stop. Only then, and we are winning games like we should have on Sunday, will it be fair to say we''ve completely turned the corner.

But, it''s a work in progress still, and the signs overall are good.

Good post Reggie. All good managers will learn from their mistakes, those that don''t are on the dole.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Silly for anyone to say that all the "sceptics" on here are busy reversing or climbing down, when, the reality is twofold :

Hughton has, over the last few games actually done what many on here have been imploring him to do for months...ie decided to show a bit more positivity. And he''s reaping the rewards. I''m not deluded enough that his change in emphasis has been down to him taking the advice of posters on here, but the fact remains, whatever has caused it, it''s a welcome development. [/quote]

Hughton will not have changed his philosophy.   He will try to get the best out of the players as he always has done and as they get more confident and as they get to know each other''s game better, things will just seem more positive.   The most positive thing is that Fer Redmond and Hooper are really beginning to have an impact.  Elmander  has helped the link up play and it has led to goals and points.  Howson is playing well and low and behold suddenly we have the team starting to look more potent.   So imo it has less to do with Hughton showing a bit more positivity than the players starting to get in form.

This positive/negative stuff is really people just trying to find a label to put to what we are trying to achieve -a good organised team that is balanced in attack/midfield and defence.    The balance between attack and defence is the hardest thing to achieve - and we struggled for that  in the second half of last season.   No surprise there, really - and no surprise that the defence has struggled this season with a bit more emphasis on improving attack. 

But the main thing that has been lacking has been confidence, not a desire to be more positive.  The confidence is starting to show now and it will help us in weeks to come as the team develops.  

[quote user="lake district canary"]

This positive/negative stuff is really people just trying to find a label to put to what we are trying to achieve -a good organised team that is balanced in attack/midfield and defence.    The balance between attack and defence is the hardest thing to achieve - and we struggled for that  in the second half of last season.   No surprise there, really - and no surprise that the defence has struggled this season with a bit more emphasis on improving attack. 

[/quote]A statistician translates:We are conceding more goals per game than last season. We are scoring fewer goals per game than last season.

[quote user="TracyJacks"]He hasn''t really turned anything around though has he?

We''ve just had a better run of fixtures.[/quote]

It''s not even just that. We''ve just had a better run of results and had one of our top strikers fit. Soon we will have more quality players getting fit. January should see no end of improvement in the players for selection even if we sign nobody else.

[quote user="Wazzy van Donkeydangler"]He hasn''t tuned us around at all. He''s scraped a coupe of results which is great, but the performances are still, at times, woeful. Thankfully points aren''t awarded on performance.

I agree with Lincoln[/quote]

Then that should tell you everything you need to know, at least it would if you had half a brain.

I''ve said to other posters face to face, when you see that your opinion is mirrored by the likes of Wiz, Smudger or Lincoln Canary, do you think that the world has turned upside down and the irrational has suddenly become the rational or do you need to take a step back and reconsider your position?