Sign in to follow this  
Green and Yellow fellow

Havard Nordtveit

The latest player to be linked with Norwich City. Former Arsenal CB playing for Borussia Moenchengladbach, 23 years of age. Southampton and West Brom are also reported to be interested in him aswell, thoughts?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A5vard_Nordtveit

He is a quality player.

If he arrived then I wonder whether that would push Fer or Howson up the pitch, because he is a defensive midfielder / anchor man.

A midfield pairing of Nordtveit and Fer with Howson behind the front two would be absolutely boss. But he would cost good money, so that probably means no #10 with either Howson or Fer becoming the regular behind the striker.

I would love us to sign a quality defensive mid. We were looking good with Tettey but I don''t think he''s the future or anything. Need more quality.

I would love us to sign a quality defensive mid. We were looking good with Tettey but I don''t think he''s the future or anything. Need more quality.

I think Tettey is pretty good in that role, I wouldn''t be in a hurry to replace him on the basis of ability/performances.

But his injuries are a problem.

Eadie4England wrote the following post at 18/12/2013 9:29 AM:

"I thought he was a centre half"

Why would you think that? He has played DM for his Clubs and Country all his career.

He was originally a center back through youth level, signed as a center back by Arsenal. I think when they loaned him out he was played as a DM more than at CB and has grown and developed into that position. Would be a great signing for CM and would also give us that extra cover at CB should injuries hit. Would still want another top CB though.

Le Juge, Why on Earth would you do that, its quite obvious that Fer is far more effective than Howson in a advanced role !!

I am beginning to think Fer may be the player we have been craving in that role with his assist v WBA and lovely through ball that should have created the winning goal against Swansea.

Only problem with that is that it would still leave us without a major secondary goal scoring threat if we play 2 wingers.

Depends if we have a player who could play as a wide forward, id actually like to see Ricky Tried out there.

Sounds a great prospect, and still reasonably young. His quality is shown by the regular games he had for Borussia in the three seasons he has been there.

With all due respects to Tettey, the newcomer would considerably strengthen the team, and if he has experience at CB offer a little versatility.

Being Norwegian, I know HÃ¥vard Nordtveit quite well from games played in the Norwegian league, from the U21, and from the full national side. I have not seen many matches with him in German football.

He is a typical defensive anchor type of player. Fairly good at breaking up play, keeping it simple, stays in line, and is probably a dream player for a coach. Does his job without moans or groans.Accepts that not all players in the team can be headline grabbers.

Not a spectacular player of any kind, but can be highly effective if he is used in his best role (def mid/anchor).

He can shoot, but is never one to be trusted to chip in with too many goals. More than 2 in a season would be good for him.

At 23, he is in a good age. Big things were expected of him in the national side, but he has not delivered as expected, perhaps down to the system played in the national team more than anything else.

I know he is held in high regard in Germany / Gladbach.

Good trainer.

Not one to stand out when the going gets tough though, and by no means our saviour in the defensive mid position, but a good prospect. Nothing more.

Hughton would probably love a player like this. No twitter, no scandals, not media digs, no nothing.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]Le Juge, Why on Earth would you do that, its quite obvious that Fer is far more effective than Howson in a advanced role !!

I am beginning to think Fer may be the player we have been craving in that role with his assist v WBA and lovely through ball that should have created the winning goal against Swansea.

Only problem with that is that it would still leave us without a major secondary goal scoring threat if we play 2 wingers.

Depends if we have a player who could play as a wide forward, id actually like to see Ricky Tried out there.[/quote]Sounds like he''d be a good Tettey alternative with Howson and Fer ahead of him in the midfield triangle. Think that would be the end of Bradley Johnson as it stands.

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]That said, he''s only just signed a new contract .
[/quote]

I think you will find that he signed that new contract a year ago and he has only had 2 starts and 6 sub appearances in the Bundesliga this season.

[quote user="grefstad"] Not one to stand out when the going gets tough though, and by no means our saviour in the defensive mid position, but a good prospect. [/quote]

So are you saying he goes missing when it gets tough?

[quote user="Donkey dangler"]

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]That said, he''s only just signed a new contract . [/quote]

I think you will find that he signed that new contract a year ago and he has only had 2 starts and 6 sub appearances in the Bundesliga this season.

[/quote]So he did. So intent on translating the German I missed the year!  Lol

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"][quote user="Donkey dangler"]

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]That said, he''s only just signed a new contract .
[/quote]

[/quote]

So he did. So intent on translating the German I missed the year!  Lol
[/quote]

Having played fairly regularly during 2011/12 and 2012/13 for Borussia Moenchengladback, I wonder what has caused him to hardly get a start this season?  Have Borussia M. had a change of manager?

"Le Juge, Why on Earth would you do that, its quite obvious that Fer is far more effective than Howson in a advanced role !!"

Alright keep your knickers on, I''d argue that Fer is needed deeper on the pitch in some games where his physicality is required, and some games where he has more license to get forward, but whatever.

I personally think that Howson is more effective in an advance role than he is in a deep one, but each to their own.