Sign in to follow this  
littleyellowbirdie

Player commitment at Norwich to the club.

I just wanted to post about an odd phenomenon that''s been showing up at Norwich City. During the transfer window, Chelsea were quite keen on Ruddy. Granted it might not have been in his best interests for regular play, but even so it was a serious proposition and I''m certain that he''s of high interest to other clubs more solidly established in the Premier League than ourselves. Instead of doing the obvious and running down his contract to open up other opportunities, he extended his contract when criticism of the team was at its peak early season. Bassong, our player of the season last year, followed suit. Granted he hasn''t found quote the Form of last season, but his quality and appeal is still evident. Now, with Jonny Howson in his best Form ever and no doubt starting to get attention from other clubs, he too had extended his contract. What interests me is what it is about Norwich that seems to be inspiring such a terrific level of commitment from its players. It leaves me thinking that we might have a better time of it holding on to quality players like Fer,  who we might expect to move on to bigger things, than the culture of modern professional football might suggest. It''s a very promising sign for Norwich''s long term progress if so. Am I reading too much in to it? What do you folks think?

Credit to the board and the management team.

However, another poster has heard from a member of playing staff that there is disharmony in the dressing room and players are unhappy with the tactics the manager employs which makes me wonder why these contracts are being signed.

In fairness I suppose the contracts are worthless other than meaning a pay rise, and who doesn''t want a pay rise?

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]I just wanted to post about an odd phenomenon that''s been showing up at Norwich City. During the transfer window, Chelsea were quite keen on Ruddy. Granted it might not have been in his best interests for regular play, but even so it was a serious proposition and I''m certain that he''s of high interest to other clubs more solidly established in the Premier League than ourselves. Instead of doing the obvious and running down his contract to open up other opportunities, he extended his contract when criticism of the team was at its peak early season. Bassong, our player of the season last year, followed suit. Granted he hasn''t found quote the Form of last season, but his quality and appeal is still evident. Now, with Jonny Howson in his best Form ever and no doubt starting to get attention from other clubs, he too had extended his contract. What interests me is what it is about Norwich that seems to be inspiring such a terrific level of commitment from its players. It leaves me thinking that we might have a better time of it holding on to quality players like Fer,  who we might expect to move on to bigger things, than the culture of modern professional football might suggest. It''s a very promising sign for Norwich''s long term progress if so. Am I reading too much in to it? What do you folks think? [/quote]

I think it suggests several things.1.  The players like it at Norwich, that the club is well run and has a great set of fans2.  We are able to match their wage needs3.  They like the direction the club is going in4.  They like the manager and the way he is doing things5.   They don''t take this message board seriously, if they read it at allIt also suggests we are already a bigger club. Someone said we have the twelfth best following in the country, so if we are in the top twelve clubs for that, then maybe that is a pretty good indication of our potential - and who knows, we may in time be able to do better than that.  Top ten or better with cup runs could give us some great seasons ahead. 

[quote user="Warren Hill"]Credit to the board and the management team.

However, another poster has heard from a member of playing staff that there is disharmony in the dressing room and players are unhappy with the tactics the manager employs which makes me wonder why these contracts are being signed.

In fairness I suppose the contracts are worthless other than meaning a pay rise, and who doesn''t want a pay rise?[/quote]

As to why the players are signing these contracts then I think the first part of your first sentence should explain that. There is a fair amount of due diligence that goes into recruiting players ie aptitude, family live, etc

ps who says Hughton is going to be here for the full term of their contract ?

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="Warren Hill"]Credit to the board and the management team.

In fairness I suppose the contracts are worthless other than meaning a pay rise, and who doesn''t want a pay rise?[/quote]

As to why the players are signing these contracts then I think the first part of your first sentence should explain that. There is a fair amount of due diligence that goes into recruiting players ie aptitude, family live, etcps who says Hughton is going to be here for the full term of their contract ?[/quote]

Who said he isn''t?   [:^)]

I think a player will sign a new contract if they are offered one. As Warren says , it is a pay rise, and who doesn''t want one of those?  The only time a player seems reluctant to sign an extension is if there is a Bosman type scenario where they can move , without the need for a transfer fee, and then they can trouser even more cash- much like the hapless Andy Marshall. A player out of contract can move as they wish.

Does this represent commitment? I sadly think that it doesn''t. It represents longer term security for the player and if XYZ FC come knocking it helps with the negotiations . Just ask Mr Levy at Spurs who signed Gareth Bale up for another three year contract in 2012.    

It''s surprising the difference about what some people see as little ol'' Norwich and what i see. For me some of these comments sum it up perfectly. We are in one of the top leagues in the world. Not only that but we are pushing to be top half in one of the top leagues in the world. So unless players fancy their chances of playing Champions league Norwich is a very good place to be. Our league standing coupled with the wages that standing allows us to pay will mean good players are happy to sign.

But please don''t suggest we cut back in order to build a stand....

[;)]

[quote user="Warren Hill"]Credit to the board and the management team.

In fairness I suppose the contracts are worthless other than meaning a pay rise, and who doesn''t want a pay rise?[/quote]I''m a little bit puzzled why alleged hearsay from a solitary unknown poster merits serious consideration?

Well the poster isn''t unknown, I know him. And he has contacts which make it more than simply hearsay.

Hope that clears things up a bit...😉

[quote user="Warren Hill"]Well the poster isn''t unknown, I know him. And he has contacts which make it more than simply hearsay.

Hope that clears things up a bit...😉[/quote]Then I can only voice my surprise given all the external evidence suggests otherwise.

I will wait until Pilkington and Turner sign a contract, and until it is confirmed that RVW isn''t leaving in January, before making my conclusions!

Financially the club is in the best position it has ever been.Whilst parts of the start of this season have been disappointing there has to be lots of optimism that we are in for another lower mid table finish. We can move forward and i suspect most of the players know that.The ones that have had their time have their contracts run down, the ones that will take us forward are offered longer better ones. neither party can lose with this as if a bigger fish wants one of them then they will probably go but at top prices

I see your point, and agree.

all i would say is that i heard that Ruddy actually did fancy the move to chelsea''s bench, but their offer didn''t meet our valuation and so he was told he couldn''t go, which he said he was fine with.