Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Michael Turner...

Is he out of contract at the end of this season? If so.... is about time we gave him one isn''t it?

Turner may have only wanted 2 year contract, but at 32 surprising he didn''t sign at least 3 year. I am sure he will be offered extension if he wants one.

Yup. I''ve been banging on about this since the beginning of the season and various times when players were given new contracts.

Most had longer left to run still. So either we are still negotiating or Hughton, who signed him, feels we could do better.

I''m guessing there could be issues with the length of contract. I doubt he''d be offered a 3 year deal being 30.

Let''s remember we have some very good younger players coming through.

At CB we have Adel Gafaiti, only 19 and yet to feature other than on the pre-season tour but a player of the future and given that we have Bassong on a new contract, Bennett a young and burgeoning player and Russ Martin, an international CB it may well be CH feels we have enough cover without extending Michael Turner;s contract betond the end of the season.

I would imagine he will be offered at least a years extension, if not two.

He''s been very, very good for us and anybody who says otherwise needs to watch how much he does for us. A very good centre half on his day, and much more consistent than Bassong has been lately!

Ray wrote the following post at 17/12/2013 11:52 PM:

Let''s remember we have some very good younger players coming through.

At CB we have Adel Gafaiti, only 19 and yet to feature other than on the pre-season tour but a player of the future and given that we have Bassong on a new contract, Bennett a young and burgeoning player and Russ Martin, an international CB it may well be CH feels we have enough cover without extending Michael Turner;s contract betond the end of the season.

I really hope Bennett goes on to be a regular for us Ray, it''s a shame that he hasn''t yet been able to nail his place down.

Good to see some genuine prospects in the youth set up. Murphy coming on at home on Saturday. Morris signs contract, promising indeed. I think CH will do a good job in bringing these guys through! Redmond certainly seems to think a lot of him.

I can''t see the problem with a 3 year contract.

If he isn''t good enough to get in the team in the third year then that would likely mean that we are still in this division and he would have played a huge part in that.

If we aren''t in this division then I''m sure a 32/33 year old Turner would be a quality player for us in the division below.

I do wonder whether the delay in his contract is some sort of 2 vs 3 year wrangle. But.... I can''t see an issue as long as their is a relegation wage decrease clause on the third year.

That would assume that he is ok with having a relegation clause in his contract.

I''m pretty sure he could do a job as well, but I can understand if the club wants to offer him another two year rather than anything longer.

I thought the board have stated in the past that all players have relegation clauses? I may be wrong, genuine question if anyone knows the answer?

I''d be surprised if they don''t sort something out with him but then he may prefer to settle down elsewhere. He''s a Londoner so maybe if he''d heard someone like Fulham or West Ham were going to offer him something he might fancy that.

From our point of view he''s our strongest defender and his partnership with Bassong has been excellent for us. We need another CB as it is because the alternatives there aren''t that great, if Turner leaves we''ll need at least 2 more good CBs to come in.

Le Juge, I think the problem with what you say there is that in the third year we could paying him huge wages to essentially say thank you for previous performances, not because he''s worth it at the time.

I think 2 years with the option of a third is fair. I am a big fan of his, but I can see that if he loses a bit more pace (natural when you get into your 30s) he could become a bit too slow and clumsy for the prem. If that''s the case, we can keep it to 2 years. If he''s still doing a job - even as a back up - then we extend to 3.

[quote user="pete"]Turner may have only wanted 2 year contract, but at 32 surprising he didn''t sign at least 3 year. I am sure he will be offered extension if he wants one.[/quote]

He turned 30 last month.

Even if we buy another CB., he would be useful to keep in the squad, so I hope he gets another two year contract.

[quote user="Ray"]Let''s remember we have some very good younger players coming through. At CB we have Adel Gafaiti, only 19 and yet to feature other than on the pre-season tour ..........[/quote]

Is he up to playing regularly for the first team if required next season? 

DD,

That''s a bit like asking how long is a piece of string, but in my opinion probably.

He is only 19 but very self assured and focussed, I''ve seen him play alongside, Turner, Bassong and Bennett in the U21''s and he more than held his own, in fact if you didn''t know which of them were seasoned Prem players you may well have picked him out as the better player. He also went on the pre-season tour and started two games there, interestingly enough at RB.

The step up from U21 to Prem is obviously a big one but I think he has the mental fortitude to deal with it and I know the club want to keep him here rather than send him out on loan, so I guess that means they rate him?

He compensates pretty well for his lack of pace at the moment, by his positioning. Like most he struggles against the top strikers. however.

I think that his days are numbered if we stay up. We must sign one or even two good quality centre backs. Perhaps a further year to provide cover - assuming that we don''t continue with Ayala. During that year he could explore possibilities.

Much will probably depend on the development of Bennett. If it goes well and he begins to realise his potential, I can see Turner becoming fourth choice.