Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Players you would be happy to sell in the January window

Becchio (if he''s not getting a game anyway)

Johnson (if we can get a better DM)

Hoolahan (if we were to get a decent bid)

Martin (if we got a better RB)

Ayala/Fox/Surman

Becchio - (surely a championship club would pay around £500k for him)and that''s about it really. Unless we sign a new CB then maybe send Bennett out on loan to make sure he gets regular first team footy,Would like to see some of our promising youngsters (Morris, Gafaiti, Toffollo, McGeehan, the Murphy Twins, Jamar Loza) g=have short loan spells in league 1/2 to see if they can cut it in men''s football. We''ve already seen Josh brak into the first team, I don''t think it''ll be too long before we see his brother, McGeehan, Morris and Gafaiti too)

I Love Fernanado,

Not sure what you mean by mens football, all these lads are over 18, admittedly Carlton Morris only 3 days ago and still qualifies for the U18''s, but the U21''s regularly come up against 1st team players making a come back from injury or needing a run out and compete incredibly well. (The U21''s are allowed to field one keeper and three outfield players who are over 21)

I''m not suggesting they shouldn''t go out on loan but I think some, if not all of them, could cut it in our first team. There is another player who I would add to your list, that''s Ewan McNeil a RB.

I think we may see some of these lads featue in the squad soon, if not on the bench and then who knows what that may bring?

Either way I do feel we have some very exciting and promising youngsters, who of course are cheap when compared to going into the transfer market and spending millions. If we can bring at least a couiple of them through then this effectively frees up money for a bigger name elsewhere, if needed.

"We effectively paid 3.2m for Becchio"

How did you work that one out? We paid £200k + Steve Morison.

How on earth are you valuing Steve Morison at £3m? We only paid £2m for him for a start, and we bought him when he was an in-form 27 year old and sold him as an out of form 29 year old.

Realistically Morison was worth £1m at best.

Where did that figure come from? Fees received for those mentioned will be derisory.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]We effectively paid 3.2m for Becchio. Would we be happy with £500k?[/quote]

I think we are in a financial position where we can afford to cut our losses on unsuccessful transfers – of the players we''ve signed, many already have a greater resale value than we paid for them. I can''t see the point in keeping Becchio – I''d rather get him off the wage bill and use Carlton Morris as a sub; of all our Youth Cup winners, he''s the one who is most likely to be able to cut it in the men''s game. If our kids can win the Youth Cup, some of them must be worth a try to cover for injuries and suspensions – Southampton threw James Ward-Prowse and Luke Shaw in at the deep end, and look how well they''ve adapted!

I think of the lot in the squad, i''d happily see the following leave for decent fees:

Becchio

Johnson

The senior guys out on loan.

I would rather keep Hoolahan for the season. He for me remains an important player for when we need to mix things up. He has that spark that only a few players in world football have. He might not be the most complete player but he''ll spot the passes and when we come up against teams that like to shove 11 men behind the ball, he''s the guy who will unlock them defences.

Absolutely no point in keeping Becchio - when RVW is fit, he''ll be even lower down the pecking order, and he can''t get a game now as it is.

Hoolahan the same really - I rate him still, a lot. I think he''d be one of our most effective players if we found a way to accommodate him, and he has obviously been one of our most important players for the past half a decade. So I don''t particularly want him to go, but if Houghton''s going to leave him to rot on the bench, then it''s probably in everyone''s best interests to go.

Then the others mentioned above really. I can''t see any of our ''regular'' squad going anywhere, even if we bring in extra players.

Feedthewolf,

I agree, with your sentiment re giving some of the youngsters a chance, let''s face it they must be damn good players or they wouldn''t be here in the first place and at some stage every player has to make their debut and thay don''t all do it in the lower leagues as you pointed out with the Southampton lads and there are of course many other examples of very young players stepping straight into the Prem.

[quote user="I Love Fernando Derveld"]
Would like to see some of our promising youngsters (Morris, Gafaiti, Toffollo, McGeehan, the Murphy Twins, Jamar Loza) g=have short loan spells in league 1/2 to see if they can cut it in men''s football. We''ve already seen Josh brak into the first team, I don''t think it''ll be too long before we see his brother, McGeehan, Morris and Gafaiti too)
[/quote]

I don''t think we''ll see too many more youngsters seriously breakthrough anytime soon.

When all of our senior players are fit who gets dropped for an unproven youngster? Josh Murphy has made a few sub apps because we''re stretched a bit thin but without the injuries he likely would not have featured at all.

Ryan Bennett - if we can find someone to pay the kind of money we did for him and put it towards a centreback with a bit more to offer.

it all depends who we get in.

if a centre back I wouldnt sell any of the others,

If we bring in a DM then move Johnson on

conversely if we bring in an AM or play maker move Wes on.

Becchio on loan unless we buy a striker then move him on.

Any of the players we have on loan who are surplus to requirements.

[quote user="GJP"]

Ryan Bennett - if we can find someone to pay the kind of money we did for him and put it towards a centreback with a bit more to offer.

[/quote]

I would definitely want to keep hold of Ryan Bennett – he''s a more natural leader than either Bassong or Turner. He was captain of Grimsby aged 19 I think? I agree that he hasn''t made the step up to the Prem as well as hoped, but if he gets a settled run in the team then he could become a regular I reckon – look how well he did at the back end of last season when he came in to cover injuries. Still a bit rash and reckless, but I think he''s every bit as tenacious and powerful as Turner, but a bit more mobile and agile to boot. Would be disappointed if we cut our losses on him at this point.

Ryan Bennett?!

He''s probably our best CB at the club! Mental.

Wouldn''t be opposed to seeing Pilkington leave if the price was right.

Really surprised so many people would get rid of Johnson.

Even if we got another DM in i don''t think we''re particularly blessed in that department with the only other real alternative being Tettey who for one thing i don''t rate as better than Johnno, he has different attributed but overall I put them about equal. Secondly Tettey seems to spend quite a proportion of the season out injured. Johnno is, even if we get someone else in, very decent cover.

[quote user="Nicko"]Ryan Bennett?! He''s probably our best CB at the club! Mental. Wouldn''t be opposed to seeing Pilkington leave if the price was right.[/quote]

agree re Pilks, and he''s one of my favourite players too! I think he could be our vest player but injuries are taking their toll and do we stick with him or cut our losses? if the right offer comes in sadly i''d say take it.

He just can''t seem to get over his injuries here. Must be frustrating for him but we need a player who at least has one injury free season with us!

Our squad is small and stretched already so I dont want to sell anyone in Jan, (excl those out on loan) we have squad places to fill, so if we sign dont sell anyway.

Come the summer its a different story - if we sign better then wes (sadly) becchio, bj + the loanees will be disposable.

Jas is right on this. I guess the OP was looking at an "ideal world" situation here, and who we get in depends on how much cash is available. Which, of course entails what we get for those leaving. So it''s all intertwined, and difficult to call because of that.As a general observation, if we can get decent bids for players who are past their best, not featuring ,or not really Prem standard, then we should be looking to get as many off the wage bill as possible to make room for "upgrade" players, if we are serious about becoming the mid table Prem side that many on here seem convinced we are destined to do.So, yes, the names mentioned here (Becchio, Wes, Johnners, Bunn, plus those currently out on loan) should be offloaded. Do not agree with whoever said Ryan Bennett, as I do believe he will have a lot to offer in the future, though his confidence was clearly shot to pieces by featuring in some of the shambles games in November.

Ryan Bennett''s had a great season in the games he''s featured in. Only Suarez really got the better of him and there''s no disgrace in that. He''s played 5 games of which we''ve won 3 and had 2 clean sheets. I don''t see any confidence issues there and as for selling him....

[quote user="Nicko"]Ryan Bennett?! He''s probably our best CB at the club!  [/quote]

He''s certainly the best CB outside the first 11.

I see no reason to move anyone out in January other than a couple of youngsters out on loan for experience, we will need every member of the squad.

Becchio

Surman

Fox

Ayala

Tettey

Garrido (Would need to get cover)

Elmander (Terminate loan)

Would have to replace the 2 strikers, the LB and a Defensive midfielder.

Are some of you mad?????Bennet will be the best CB here once he finds consistency.

The suggestion of Tettey has left me speechless. Garrido is a good back up and you will struggle to find someone as good as him who will willingly join knowing that Olsson is first choice and he will start the majority of the time unless he has an absolute blunder game.and terminate Elmanders loan? 1) he''s playing well with hooper and is a much better option than Becchio and is a great third choice (RVW & Hooper ahead) - and 2) you have to pay to terminate loans.