Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

How good is Becchio?

Becchio came on and did very well yesterday.

Won several headers and freekicks in good areas.  Swansea did not look comfortable against him.

I just don''t see how anyone can say he is only Championship standard when the guy has barely had a chance to play in the Prem.  They must have such expert inside knowledge on the guy!

Clearly Hughton does not rate him. That does not mean he is cr*p! Many players have been out of favour at one club, only to have a great career and perform at another under a different manager, or at the same club with a different manager.

e.g Holt at NF under Calderwood had an awful time.  Holt under PL had the best time of his career! People were saying he was only league 1 standard.  Hmmm! [^o)]

He deserves his chance and while I agree Hughton is only playing him to get him noticed for a transfer, I for one am glad he is getting some game time! With a tough Christmas schedule approaching, we may need him to do a job!

As for be detrimental to Josh, I really don''t believe fans were being unfair.  He got cheered on, but as previously said, I think fans would have liked to have seen him and Redmond on each wing.  However this did not happen and I believe it was more disappointment at this than being in anyway negative towards young Josh!

As for Elmander, I thought that was his best league performance for us to date.  Good strength, endeavour, work rate and organisation. More of that please!

Snake

I really want Becchio to be a success, but I just can''t see it happening. He''s not good enough. His first touch is terrible, and he spends most of his time falling over. elmander is much better.

Every Leeds fan I''ve spoken too has said the same. he''s out of his depth at this level.

shame.

[quote user="Kirkstall Yellow"]I really want Becchio to be a success, but I just can''t see it happening. He''s not good enough. His first touch is terrible, and he spends most of his time falling over. elmander is much better.

Every Leeds fan I''ve spoken too has said the same. he''s out of his depth at this level.

shame.[/quote]Yet, he gets a standing ovation every time his name is mentioned.Its stupid.

Do people really think that Becchio is better than Elmander though? Really? I think people just want to see something of a striker we paid effectively £3.2m for. People want to see him get a chance. I think most feel that he''s been hard done by with most deciding he''s sh*t before he''s even got a chance to show what he can do. Most will probably suspect Elmander is better, but as Elmander hasnt scored and isnt our player, wouldnt mind seeing a striker who was pretty prolific before coming to us getting a go. If Elmander and the others were scoring hat-tricks every week noone would care about Becchio. I dont think anyone is championing him as the better player, they just want us to experiment a bit. You could argue Bechhio hasnt put in a good performance. Well he''s never put a bad one in either!

[quote user="snake-eyes"]

Becchio came on and did very well yesterday.

Won several headers and freekicks in good areas.  Swansea did not look comfortable against him.

[/quote]Watching a different game to me, I thought we lost our shape completely when Elmander was removed for Becchio.  He looked like a rabbit in headlights.

Clearly!

It wasn''t spectacular but he got involved won headers and looked sharp.

Couldn''t see too much regarding loss of shape. I do believe in giving a chance and judging on what actually happens not on what I want to see because my mind has already been made up and I must defend it to the hilt, like several people I read on here.

Evidence please, it helps!

Frankly, the support for Becchio is based on hatred of Hughton. It just is. I''d like to see more of him, I''d like him to take the chances he is given but I honestly don''t believe he is of the acceptable standard now. We''ve moved on.

What really sucks is that the hatred of Hughton feeds to the critisism of elmander. Cheering a player coming off, lovely.

Need to sort your priorities out

[quote user="Buh"]Frankly, the support for Becchio is based on

hatred of Hughton. It just is.
I''d like to see more of him, I''d like

him to take the chances he is given but I honestly don''t believe he is of the

acceptable standard now. We''ve moved on. What really sucks is that the hatred of

Hughton feeds to the critisism of elmander. Cheering a player coming off,

lovely. Need to sort your priorities out[/quote]

I think there''s some truth in this. I started the thread because I was amazed that becchio got a better reception than Josh Murphy. This is the first post that has really explained why that is. I think it''s pretty pathetic to be honest. Murpy won''t have another home debut...

"Frankly, the support for Becchio is based on hatred of Hughton"

Hatred? Rephrase Mr. Buh. Nobody "hates" CH surely.

We might not like his methods much at times but hate is a bit strong perhaps?

[quote user="snake-eyes"]Clearly!

It wasn''t spectacular but he got involved won headers and looked sharp.

Couldn''t see too much regarding loss of shape. I do believe in giving a chance and judging on what actually happens not on what I want to see because my mind has already been made up and I must defend it to the hilt, like several people I read on here.

Evidence please, it helps![/quote]What evidence do you have?I can''t recall every single minute of his appearance on Sunday, but IMO he was no more successful up front than Elmander and I can''t remember a single pass from Becchio which created an opportunity (not that I''m saying Elmander created lots).  For someone to ''look sharp'' they have to look a lot more proactive that Becchio did; both substitutions upset our rhythm and lead to Swansea creating a few half chances towards the end.My mind isn''t made up over Becchio, I''m more than prepared to give him a chance, but I wont put him on some sort of pedestal because he''s apparently been treated unfairly.  I''m describing what I saw, nothing more, nothing less.

"Frankly, the support for Becchio is based on hatred of Hughton" Hatred? Rephrase Mr. Buh. Nobody "hates" CH surely.

Well, the last couple of games I''ve had the joy of relinquishing my place in the Barclay to sit in the Aviva Community stand, just so my 6-year and I can sit together.

I kid you not, but the woman next to me actually wanted Norwich to lose to Cardiff, whom she was supporting for the day, just to get rid of Hughton, whom she described as (unbelievably for a granny) a "tw*t" (no, not twit).

And on Saturday I had a similar experience of a bloke with similar views.

I''ve heard similar views on the way to the ground as well.

A lot of people really, really hate Hughton. Myself, I''m pretty disgusted at the level of really personal animosity.

Enlightening LBHY

I too have encountered this animosity. It is far reaching AND deeply personal.

I fear for the mental wellbeing of these people, they seem to have lost grip with reality.

This is very much the way the whole Worthy thing started. There was no basis for much of that hatred either. And not surprisingly this stuff comes from some of the same people!

Those people you describe Nutty, do you think that their mindset is "set up" negative? Or is it that they lack a "Plan B" and when things aren''t as they think they should be they just automatically turn on the manager?

😄

We acquired him as part of a deal that allowed us to offload an off form (i.e. rubbish) Morrison otherwise I doubt we''d have signed him. He proved himself to not be as effective as Kei Kamara and Holt last year and this season he isn''t as good as RVW, Hooper or Elmander which is why he gets limited game time.I''d imagine he''s only being played in the hope he''ll get a goal or two and increase his sell on value for January where he''ll hopefully be replaced by a decent target man to play up front with Hooper second half of the season.The only thing that always confused me is why Hughton consistently used Kamara ahead of Becchio last year and then kept Becchio instead. I think Kei could have proved a good foil for either Hooper or Wolfy.

Has he trained well? we are told yes, did he do well when he came on, yes. Will he start before Ricky, no! so why treat him this way and have him in the squad? Like having a dog and never taking him for a walk!

When he gets loaned or sold in January it''s going to be hilarious.

I can hear the tinpot whining now!