Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

How good is Becchio?

Josh Murphy made his home debut for us today. A player who has come through our own youth set up. A player who''s helped win the FA Youth Cup. A player who''s already scored a wonder goal for us. But his welcome on to the pitch was muted compared to the one a few minutes earlier given to Becchio. Am I missing something here?

This whole Becchio situation is utterly stupid.

Signing him then barley use using him when for the majority of the time he was here last season neither Kamara or Holt were in goal scoring form.

Not playing him this season until he makes a fuss to the media, then giving him game time in 3 of the next 4 games? And the fans reaction is silly.

If Hughton doesn''t think he''s good enough, he shouldn''t be playing. No player should be able to get himself onto the pitch by having a moan to the press, but that''s hat happend. I think Hughton was wrong not playing him more last season, he was in the form of his life at Leeds, and we took all the momentum away from him in the prime of his career. Bad move for him, bad move for us.

And as you highlight Nutty,, the fans giving him that reception and not Josh is just plain wrong. Personally I stood up to applaud Elmander off, then sat back down when Becchio started to run on, because he isn''t an inspiring sub, Elmander was doing everything right second half and was rightfully quite disappointed at being taken off at that stage. We then lost a load of momentum and barely mustered another chance.

Not so good he should be starting games for us every week in the Premier League and not so bad that he should have been kept out for so long.

Thought he looked a bit useless today and would much rather Elmander stayed on, but of course if hughton did that Becchio might b*tch to the press again and the fans will get on hughtons back. I must admit I think he''s less up to it than Elmander and wouldn''t be upset if he was let go in january.

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]Thought he looked a bit useless today and would much rather Elmander stayed on, but of course if hughton did that Becchio might b*tch to the press again and the fans will get on hughtons back. I must admit I think he''s less up to it than Elmander and wouldn''t be upset if he was let go in january.[/quote]

I don''t think Becchio is the answer but what are you expecting in a 10 minute sub app when he''s played very, very little football?

People seem to think he has to come off the bench and play like Ronaldo otherwise it proves he shouldn''t be getting a chance.

Jav, in the pub after the game I was told that Becchio did more in 15 mins than Elmander did all game. And the guy meant it...

Elmander/Hooper has the makings. Add RVW to the mix and there''s some serious options.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]Thought he looked a bit useless today and would much rather Elmander stayed on, but of course if hughton did that Becchio might b*tch to the press again and the fans will get on hughtons back. I must admit I think he''s less up to it than Elmander and wouldn''t be upset if he was let go in january.[/quote]

I don''t think Becchio is the answer but what are you expecting in a 10 minute sub app when he''s played very, very little football?

People seem to think he has to come off the bench and play like Ronaldo otherwise it proves he shouldn''t be getting a chance.

[/quote]

Careful.. I don''t think anyone has said he shouldn''t be given a chance...

But my main point is that he''s played stuff all football.

And, as mentioned, I don''t think he is the answer.

When you put it like that is does seem a bit unfair on Murphy but I think it was just unfortunate timing. Alot of people want to see Becchio do well hence the response. I think Murphy got a good reception (not the cheer Becchio got admittedly) and I''m sure he has every chance of coming through and doing well for us. However I have no problem with the people getting behind Becchio, I don''t see training so would never question who should or shouldn''t be in the team but I was one of many applauding when he came onto the pitch today and (for me at least) it is in no way a dig at CH.

The only thing that disappointed me was the ironic cheers Elmander got when he brought the ball down for Hoopers goal. I Think Elmander is getting harshly treated by sections of the crowd.

The only thing that disappointed me was the ironic cheers Elmander got when he brought the ball down for Hoopers goal. I Think Elmander is getting harshly treated by sections of the crowd.

-----------------------------------------------

this x100

Elmander has had to play a dirty role this season. he has been causing trouble to try and create the chances for others, meaning he doesn''t get many and people think he isn''t doing anything. finally today he got a bit of the recognition he deserves.

Elmander did well today but that hasn''t been the case in a few games this season. And some people have made up their minds based on games when he hasn''t been that good so he''ll find it hard to win them over.

But then if RVW was fit and if Hooper had been fit at the start of the season we probably wouldn''t have seen as much of him as we have.

I''ve got no problem with people getting behind any of our players. Love to see it! That''s what supporters do. But I''m amazed that Becchio can be more of a favourite than Josh Murphy. One of the most special things for our own boys is when they come on at home for the first time. With what he''s achieved already at our club we should have raised the roof.

Hughton is just putting Becchio in the shop window now.

He was probably only ever going to leave in January anyway, we have RVW coming back and perhaps we will still see a number 10.

Becchio moaning to the press and the fans using Becchio as a stick with which to beat Hughton will only have pushed him further towards the exit.

I don''t think that he was given a fair chance last season, Kamara had a bit of an impact but looked out of his depth for much of his stay.

But Becchio will no longer be match fit, any buzz that he had from scoring 19 in half a season probably completely worn off now and Hughton clearly doesn''t rate him. Leeds want him back, Becchio probably wants to go back.

Will probably get a couple more sub appearances for us and be gone by the end of the January window.

That does leave us needing another striker though to insure against injury, we have room for another loan and perhaps we will see another loan striker. The loanee probably wouldn''t be any better than Kei or Becchio, but no point in having an unhappy player around.

To be honest I believe Murphs muted intro was more down to who was withdrawn rather than anything else.

Personally I would rather have seen Johnson withdrawn and Fer moved inside, and gone with two wingers as Becchio had been introduced as target man.

But it was great to see him come on.

Josh is being given his chance, most fans probably feel Becchio hasnt been given the same opportunity. People like to see people treated fairly and given their chance. Becchio hasnt had that. In answer to the question ''how good is Becchio'' - the truth is, none of us know because we''ve barely seen him. If he gets a run and doesnt do it the cheers will soon stop. But most would feel he has probably been harshly treated and feel his appearences are simply what he deserves and are applauding that

Why can''t we expect him to come on for 15 mins and play like Ronaldo, Iwan Roberts used to. ;-)

I was applauding Elmander for the good shift he out in

One of the problems with substitutions is that you can never be sure who is being applauded or booed and it''s easy to assume everyone is motivated as you are.

On Becchio, I''m glad he is getting game time because all the evidence so far is that he is competent but nothing exceptional and certainly not the king in waiting so many seem to assume. He compared poorly to Elmander yesterday and whilst it''s too early to judge him fully, the performances have notbeen bright. Ok but nothing special.

If it turns out that he is not better than any of the other three, then has he been badly treated by being fourth? Probably not.

A Championship class player who will be gone in January either permanently or on loan.If Becchio is the answer then we are asking the wrong question.