Sign in to follow this  
Barry the boy

Jonny Howson

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Vanwink"]OK. LDC if our say so.

You came on here as a decent old boy, were hounded by the like''s of Nutty and now you are into him, you know exactly what I mean!

Happy Christmas

Lol[/quote]You''ve lost me somewhere along the way.  What has Nutty to do with this?   I happen to agree with some of Nutty''s views, but I don''t particularly get along with him because of past history.  What are you saying?[/quote] He''s saying I hounded you Lakey. Although both he and you will struggle to actually put any meat on those bones. I will stand by everything I''ve ever posted on this board and have never been in a position where I wanted past views to disappear.  Now Winky on the other hand admitted that he joined this board top start a vendetta with posters he disliked. Although how he knew he disliked them is a mystery. But I suppose one self-confessed sh it stirrer is preferable to a joke named troll. But there''s not much in it....[/quote]

Yes, he is saying it. Not me.  Hounding doesn''t describe it. I originally lost my respect for you when  I was foolish enough to assume you were genuine and took you at face value, when in fact you used me for "sport" in one particular thread, which by the time that thread finished I had your card marked.  The nature of the board politics hit home, with several others contributing in that thread to that "sport".  Now I am a good natured person and will give anyone the time of day, but if a  person takes advantage of my good nature, I will let them know.  No vendettas from me but my response to board politics and mischevious attempts to undermine me, will always aim to match the irritation given to me and return it with interest, back to where it came from.

You are a genuine straight forward guy LDC, I don''t agree with your position on CH but that''s the whole point of this board. Unfortunately others sometimes see it as a way to humiliate and mock others, which they obviously gain some sort of perverse pleasure from!

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Vanwink"]OK. LDC if our say so.

You came on here as a decent old boy, were hounded by the like''s of Nutty and now you are into him, you know exactly what I mean!

Happy Christmas

Lol[/quote]You''ve lost me somewhere along the way.  What has Nutty to do with this?   I happen to agree with some of Nutty''s views, but I don''t particularly get along with him because of past history.  What are you saying?[/quote] He''s saying I hounded you Lakey. Although both he and you will struggle to actually put any meat on those bones. I will stand by everything I''ve ever posted on this board and have never been in a position where I wanted past views to disappear.  Now Winky on the other hand admitted that he joined this board top start a vendetta with posters he disliked. Although how he knew he disliked them is a mystery. But I suppose one self-confessed sh it stirrer is preferable to a joke named troll. But there''s not much in it....[/quote]

Yes, he is saying it. Not me.  Hounding doesn''t describe it. I originally lost my respect for you when  I was foolish enough to assume you were genuine and took you at face value, when in fact you used me for "sport" in one particular thread, which by the time that thread finished I had your card marked.  The nature of the board politics hit home, with several others contributing in that thread to that "sport".  Now I am a good natured person and will give anyone the time of day, but if a  person takes advantage of my good nature, I will let them know.  No vendettas from me but my response to board politics and mischevious attempts to undermine me, will always aim to match the irritation given to me and return it with interest, back to where it came from.

[/quote]

Well I honestly have no idea what you are on about but it really makes no difference. That''s your view and I''m happy to go along with it.

As for Winky.. Well I got no time whatsoever for him. He told me he joined to stir up trouble and start a vendetta. That seems to me a totally pathetic reason to post on here. At least while most of us rarely agree we do come here with good intentions. Winky or a sh it stirring troll with a joke name or even bluemike and his cohorts? Difficult to seperate them in my book...

star_manic wrote the following post at 18/12/2013 9:10 PM:

Well, the club have given him a long contract. When is the last time one of our players got such a contract? This would indicate that the boardroom rate him as one of our most important players. I can see him being captain next season.

Cracking player, signed with a big reputation and living up to it. I think he was the youngest ever captain of Leeds, definitely a leader in the waiting.

[quote user="RollesbyCanary"]I agree with all the points everyone''s made about his qualities, he really does have fantastic ability. But I really don''t think he uses it or applies himself enough. I think he''s had a good season so far but I also don''t get why he''s getting so much praise either, yes he''s a fantastic player but he''s not showing it enough for me.[/quote]

I think this is the nub of the matter for me. I rate Howson, but I still feel we are not making the most of him. I think he has more ability and more influence than we are seeing from him, yet most people are acting like what we''re seeing already is amazing, which is what baffles me. I think he has lots of potential, but he has still yet to realise it for me and Im waiting for him to truly blossom. What surprised me was the very widespread position that he''s already showing it

What he has shown is that with better players around him he''s still able to step up to the plate. That may not be so true of others.

I personally feel we will only see the best of Howson if he is played as an attacking midfielder. Leeds fans repeatedly said he is sh*t at CM but brilliant AM. The games when he has really done something special have been when he has been unshackled. Playing deeper, games passed him by. He''s clearly better with Fer alongside, but he''s still playing CM too much for me, its not the best use of his talents IMO. I feel we need a quality defensive midfielder who can pass to partner Fer and allow Howson to sit in front of them behind the striker. Then I think we''ll start to see the best of Jonny. I agree he''s improved on last season, but he''s still got the shackles on IMO

Shackles are the CH way GMD, when they are loosened we do see players expressing themselves more.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Shackles are the CH way GMD, when they are loosened we do see players expressing themselves more.[/quote]

I''m going to disagree with you again.   He is shackled, if that is the right word, by Tettey''s injury and the loss of pace in that position. With Johnson in the team there needs to be a bit more caution at the back to compensate for his relative lack of mobility.  When the team is up to speed and fully functioning with our best players, playing how Hughton wants them to we will see plenty of expression, as shown at his previous clubs.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Leeds fans repeatedly said he is sh*t at CM but brilliant AM. [/quote]

Well I''m a Norwich fan and I can tell you Howson has been excellent in the centre of midfield for this season.

You can go with what the Leeds fans say but you''d be better off listening to me.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]I think I mentioned this elsewhere as well GMD I am very confused and feel that I am missing something. Tackles, Interceptions, Assists , Goals. I cannot fault Howsons play this season (other than to wish sometimes he might pass rather than shoot from 35 yrds) But on what I would call my check list of criteria for a successful midfielder I am still baffled. I can see exactly how good Leroy is in every game he plays , all action tackling , shooting with a great eye for a killer pass, even BJ & Tettey I can see how they get in the faces of the opposition. Perhaps Howsons contribution I too subtle for me and maybe I concentrate too much on the final third at each end of the pitch to notice his genius. Looking forward to being enlightened.[/quote]

Howson has made 610 accurate passes this season. Fer has made 548. Howson''s success rate is also slightly better.

Fer has made more tackles. Howson had made more interceptions.

Fer has scored one more goal than Howson and made one more assist.

But Fer has also lost and given the ball away more than Howson.

(League stats only)

At last ! some info and not just waffle. Thanks GJP

would love to see the numbers and also the distances of the passes.

Where did you get the info from.

ncfcstar

Get a room, no idea who you are describing but pretty sure its not Howson.

Strong Tackling ? compared to who Wes ?

Gingerpele

What is a shooting position ? how on earth he scored v Stoke is a mystery to me the keeper had time for a cup of tea before the ball reached him. I want us to be getting the ball in to the box and creating proper chances not relying these kind of shots.

GMD

Frankly I cannot agree that there is anything about Howson that suggests he would be good as an AM and everything to suggest he is a very solid CM. The type of goals he scores generally are the type of goals you would expect long range punts or runs from deep. He is very rarely in the box and I cannot recall him ever attempting the kind of passes that Fer has played through to Hooper recently.

Once again please understand I am aware I am in the minority and whilst I am happy to accept the widely held view that he is a decent player I am really blind to the fact that people are wetting themselves over him.

Leroy Fer on the other hand could be the best central midfielder ever to play for the club, he has it all.

I really want to join the love in but need some hard evidence of his brilliance.

Interesting take on Howson in this thread. He certainly is improving by the game.But, on Canary Call last Sunday there seemed to be a number of people seriously suggesting he should be in the England squad . Am I alone in thinking this is a step too far, too quickly for him.? Sure, he''s been influential for us in the past few games, and chips in with the odd goal from time to time, but let''s not forget that it''s only in the past 3 or so months that he''s even become a fixture in the Norwich team.His time may come for international recognition, but from my point of view he''d have to do it over a much longer period for me to take such claims seriously.

I don''t really get where it comes from about these killer passes Fer is seemingly regularly slicing the opposition apart with.

He played one great ball through a tired Watford defence in the latter stages of a cup tie. The one to Hooper against WBA caught a slight but very helpful nick on the way. Other than that there haven''t been many other examples of it. Reminds me a bit of the great through ball Lansbury played against Ipswich. A lot of people associated him with defence splitting passes after that, even though he was rarely (if ever) able to produce it again.

I think Fer is a very, very good player but I don''t think he''s quite shown himself to be the creative force he''s being made out to be. For me he''s just  a good all round sort of central midfielder, much like Howson.

Fer is obviously a bit more physically imposing but Howson is a bit quicker/more mobile and is arguably smarter with his use of the ball - because he is better at keeping it in Norwich''s possession.

But yeah, for me they are just two very good players. Clearly the best in their position at the club and clearly two of the best we''ve had in there for a long time.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"], but let''s not forget that it''s only in the past 3 or so months that he''s even become a fixture in the Norwich team.

[/quote]

Well that''s not right.

I think whats good about JH is if the he isn''t getting the opportunity to dominate the game he will still do the basics right, be neat and tidy, be switched on and help those who are having an impact as much as he can. Lampard does that, yes he scores a lot of goals but if Oscar or Hazard is not being marked properly he will fill in, retain possession and get the ball to them as often as he can. For me JH is always at least a 7/10 each game because of this, he reads the game so well.Also he''s the anti-premiership star like Paul Scholes, f**k the diamond earring and the free Champagne, just want to play football for a living and then go home to the family (all be it in a loud car!). People generally hate the premiership player mentality and will instantly warm more to someone who shuns that lifestyle.