Sign in to follow this  
Barry the boy

Jonny Howson

Hi guys first time poster here, I''ve always been a bit of a lurker and enjoy the posts a lot.

Supported City for as long as I can remember with my first game being the Rochdale home leg of the League cup final in 62.

They don''t make players like Ron Ashman anymore!

In terms of the Hughton in or out divide I would say that I''m on the fence and can''t quite make my mind up. Esp as results have now picked up and really, it is a results game.

I was talking to a friend regarding Jonny Howson and we had some good discussions and I am curious to what you guys think.

Is Howsons form this season down to Chris Hughton? Has he developed him as a player? Or should he have played Howson like this,last season. Seems a few were calling out for it.

Personally I think it''s a bit of both and it''s great to see a player like him playing well. On his day I think he can do brilliant things.

Do people agree that he could be a future captain?

Barry

Whatever you think of Hughton''s managerial abilities, there is not much question about his ability as a coach and his ability to bring players on.  Howson lacked direction under Lambert and for a while last season and  Hughton''s influence has helped him - as it will most of the players.

To me Howson has the potential to get to the very top of the game and definitely a future captain for us if he stays long enough, which I hope he does.  He is at the right club to help him develop and has the right man to mentor him in Hughton.  Ask Redmond and Bassong.

Im not having a go at Howson - I always admired him as a player at Leeds and was delighted when we signed him, but could someone tell me why he is getting so much praise. I dont think he has played badly at all, but I am rather baffled by all his recent praise, as I simply havent seen him do very much. I acknowledged on the POTS thread that this must be due to me watching games on a thread, and I completely accept there are things you cant appreciate when you are not at a game, no matter how good the camera-work. But could someone genuinely fill me oin on why everyone seems to think he is having a blinding season, because for me, he''s been quite anonymous this season. Fer has played some incredible passes, his reading of the game, his tackling, the goals he has scored (yes he''s had some off the boil games too), but it has been so obvious when he has played well. I have forgotten Howson is even on the pitch for most games I have seen him in (which means he isnt making mistakes - ie you always know when BJ is playing as his misplaced passes, fouls or wayward shots catch the eye). Could someone tell me why people are raving about him? Im honestly not being critical, Im just genuinely baffled!

I think I mentioned this elsewhere as well GMD I am very confused and feel that I am missing something.

Tackles, Interceptions, Assists , Goals.

I cannot fault Howsons play this season (other than to wish sometimes he might pass rather than shoot from 35 yrds)

But on what I would call my check list of criteria for a successful midfielder I am still baffled.

I can see exactly how good Leroy is in every game he plays , all action tackling , shooting with a great eye for a killer pass, even BJ & Tettey I can see how they get in the faces of the opposition.

Perhaps Howsons contribution I too subtle for me and maybe I concentrate too much on the final third at each end of the pitch to notice his genius.

Looking forward to being enlightened.

As to his quality, two or three fellow players over the past year or so have spokenof him as a player who has everything it takes, when they admire what he does in training. You wouldn''t expect them to slag him off, but they have gone out of their way to praise him, one even suggesting him as a "dark horse" for Rio next year.

I would think that his gifts were obvious last year. but the manager needed him to play as defensive cover, which he did although not his preferred position. If Hughton has done anything, I imagine that it is finally to recognise his gifts going forward. ( I wouldn''t write off his tackling ability either - at West Brom he made one or two very important challenges.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]I think I mentioned this elsewhere as well GMD I am very confused and feel that I am missing something.

Tackles, Interceptions, Assists , Goals.

I cannot fault Howsons play this season (other than to wish sometimes he might pass rather than shoot from 35 yrds)

But on what I would call my check list of criteria for a successful midfielder I am still baffled.

I can see exactly how good Leroy is in every game he plays , all action tackling , shooting with a great eye for a killer pass, even BJ & Tettey I can see how they get in the faces of the opposition.

Perhaps Howsons contribution I too subtle for me and maybe I concentrate too much on the final third at each end of the pitch to notice his genius.

Looking forward to being enlightened.[/quote]

I''ll try.  To me he has all the attributes. Skilful with quick feet, a good if unspectacular passer, has an eye for goal - and 35 yards out or not, he is usually quite accurate - and shows intelligence.  Maybe the measure of his class is that he doesn''t catch the eye so much - after all it is said the best players make it look easy - and there are countless examples of that.  He is a reliable and  important link man in midfield, with the ability to get forward - just the kind of player we need alongside Fer.  As the team progresses, imo, he will shine more and more.

Talking to a Leeds scout the other day, the Howson transfer is one that really upset the leeds fans, they all felt he is worth far more than we paid for him, and now we have him on a 4 and half year contract ,good work all round. Becchios lack of playing time puzzles them as well. Howson is quiet on and off the pitch...apart from his car. A Newcastle fan said to me that he''ll develop into our Peter Beardsley, high praise indeed. He is decent though, with his best years ahead, and if we move him on because we have better coming in then thats a real indication of our quality improving. Good work by the club to a) get him in and b) tie him into a long term deal. Well done Jonny too for coming and staying.

[quote user="Barry the boy"]Hi guys first time poster here, I''ve always been a bit of a lurker and enjoy the posts a lot.

Supported City for as long as I can remember with my first game being the Rochdale home leg of the League cup final in 62.

They don''t make players like Ron Ashman anymore!

In terms of the Hughton in or out divide I would say that I''m on the fence and can''t quite make my mind up. Esp as results have now picked up and really, it is a results game.

I was talking to a friend regarding Jonny Howson and we had some good discussions and I am curious to what you guys think.

Is Howsons form this season down to Chris Hughton? Has he developed him as a player? Or should he have played Howson like this,last season. Seems a few were calling out for it.

Personally I think it''s a bit of both and it''s great to see a player like him playing well. On his day I think he can do brilliant things.

Do people agree that he could be a future captain?

Barry[/quote]

I was talking to some friends about this yesterday. I suggested that two of the reasons for Howson''s form this season were the manager and better players around him. But didn''t really see anyone in agreement with either and when I asked what it was down to there was no answer. Apart from a vague reference to 99% of City fans being responsible. Perhaps it is really down to Father Christmas? Who knows. But I do know my cat never liked Whiskas.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Im not having a go at Howson - I always admired him as a player at Leeds and was delighted when we signed him, but could someone tell me why he is getting so much praise. I dont think he has played badly at all, but I am rather baffled by all his recent praise, as I simply havent seen him do very much. I acknowledged on the POTS thread that this must be due to me watching games on a thread, and I completely accept there are things you cant appreciate when you are not at a game, no matter how good the camera-work. But could someone genuinely fill me oin on why everyone seems to think he is having a blinding season, because for me, he''s been quite anonymous this season. Fer has played some incredible passes, his reading of the game, his tackling, the goals he has scored (yes he''s had some off the boil games too), but it has been so obvious when he has played well. I have forgotten Howson is even on the pitch for most games I have seen him in (which means he isnt making mistakes - ie you always know when BJ is playing as his misplaced passes, fouls or wayward shots catch the eye). Could someone tell me why people are raving about him? Im honestly not being critical, Im just genuinely baffled![/quote]I''m not going to describe it in detail, just make a few points:
  • Fantastic positional sense
  • Strong tackling
  • An eye for a pass, whether it be a long ball or a quick 1-2.
  • Calmness
  • The ability to bring the ball forward with ease
  • The ability to bring other players into play
  • Determination
  • Scores the odd goal
I''m sure I''ve missed a few things out, but on all round performances he''s been our POTS so far.  Fer will be up their too because he has had a big hand in some important goals.  Needless to say the fact that we''re mentioning 2 midfielders as potential POTS shows how we''ve developed this season even if we might not have the same amount of points on the board at the moment.

Lakey I find your analysis interesting in that you imply that its Hughton who has made Howson into what he is now.

As far as I can recall Howson, once regaining fitness, played his best games under Lambert but then appeared to have ''lost form'' last year with many suggestions as to why offered on this board. I think the majority offered the explanation that he was playing out of position and being restricted by tactics laid down by the current coaching staff at that time.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you Lakey (although most times I do) just find statements such as yours need more clarification to prove your point

Howsons had a very interesting career at Norwich so far. Under Lambert, he primarily played as a kind of regista, a deep lying playmaker. This might be blasphemy to some, but it was Lambert who played Howson as his most defensive midfielder, albeit a midfielder that was expected to maneuver the ball quickly into attacking areas rather than get interceptions or tackle.
Last season was a confusing season for both Howson and Hughton. I believe Hughton admitted at one point that it took him a while to figure out exactly what kind of player Howson was. I don''t blame him. At Leeds, he was either played behind the Striker or as the more attacking member of a two man midfield. Under Lambert, he played as a deep player who''s main job was to move the ball quickly. It took Hughton a while to figure out exactly what kind of player Howson was but it also took Howson time to figure out his new role in this Huhgton side.
What we''re seeing at the moment, IMO, is an ideal situation where the manager knows exactly what he can expect of a player and the player knows exactly what he''s expected to do. This, I think, has lead to Howson''s increased performance (although I think many judged him harshly last season. For a player in a difficult situation he actually performed pretty well) and the recent plaudits he has received.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Lakey I find your analysis interesting in that you imply that its Hughton who has made Howson into what he is now.

As far as I can recall Howson, once regaining fitness, played his best games under Lambert but then appeared to have ''lost form'' last year with many suggestions as to why offered on this board. I think the majority offered the explanation that he was playing out of position and being restricted by tactics laid down by the current coaching staff at that time.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you Lakey (although most times I do) just find statements such as yours need more clarification to prove your point[/quote]Philip J Fry has  explained it better than me.  My memories of Howson were that he had some good games under Lambert but not in the position we all expected and Lambert changed the team around so much that at times it wasn''t that clear what position he was in - but it was clear to most of us that he would be happier in a more forward position.  The whole team, including Howson looked less and less convincing as that season finished.  Last season was difficult for the manager and players as most would recognise, but it  has been plain that Howson was still highly rated by Hughton. 

I think that credit goes to Hughton for working with Howson - as he surely has - to get the best out of him for the team.   There was a pre-season game this season where somebody commented that Hughton spent nearly the whole match shouting instructions and encouragement to Howson more than any other player.  That would suggest how important he thinks Howson is and that he expects a lot from him.   That''s the only evidence I have other than that the buck stops with Hughton.  But if Howson is working well and playing well then credit to both him and Hughton.   

When a player does well as Howson is, it goes without saying that both he and the manager deserve praise, what''s the issue here?

KeelaansGlove. You don''t want Howson to shoot?

He gets nearly every shot on target. I want him to shoot more, find it incredibly frustrating when he''s not getting into those shooting positions.

LDC wrote

Philip J Fry has explained it better than me. My memories of Howson were that he had some good games under Lambert but not in the position we all expected and Lambert changed the team around so much that at times it wasn''t that clear what position he was in - but it was clear to most of us that he would be happier in a more forward position. The whole team, including Howson looked less and less convincing as that season finished. Last season was difficult for the manager and players as most would recognise, but it has been plain that Howson was still highly rated by Hughton.

"It was clear to most of us"

Yep LDC knows better than lambert.....lol!

[quote user="Vanwink"]LDC wrote

Philip J Fry has explained it better than me. My memories of Howson were that he had some good games under Lambert but not in the position we all expected and Lambert changed the team around so much that at times it wasn''t that clear what position he was in - but it was clear to most of us that he would be happier in a more forward position. The whole team, including Howson looked less and less convincing as that season finished. Last season was difficult for the manager and players as most would recognise, but it has been plain that Howson was still highly rated by Hughton.

"It was clear to most of us"

Yep LDC knows better than lambert.....lol![/quote] No.  I said most of us thought he would be better as an AM.  Is that wrong?

No you said it was clear to most of us, clearly suggesting it was therefore not clear to a lambert, ie you know best!

So whilst on one hand you confess to limited knowledge, which is self evident, you then presume to have one up on a lambert, you can''t have it both ways!

[quote user="Vanwink"]No you said it was clear to most of us, clearly suggesting it was therefore not clear to a lambert, ie you know best!

So whilst on one hand you confess to limited knowledge, which is self evident, you then presume to have one up on a lambert, you can''t have it both ways![/quote]

Yes I can.  Just like it was clear to a lot of fans that Hughton was useless and now we are winning and scoring a bit more, some are saying "maybe he''s ok"  now.  We all want it both ways  (but not in the Robbie Williams sense [:S] ). 

Its human nature.

OK. LDC if our say so.

You came on here as a decent old boy, were hounded by the like''s of Nutty and now you are into him, you know exactly what I mean!

Happy Christmas

Lol

What I meant to say was " have turned into him" amazing what an ipad will do mate!

[quote user="Vanwink"]OK. LDC if our say so.

You came on here as a decent old boy, were hounded by the like''s of Nutty and now you are into him, you know exactly what I mean!

Happy Christmas

Lol[/quote]

You''ve lost me somewhere along the way.  What has Nutty to do with this?   I happen to agree with some of Nutty''s views, but I don''t particularly get along with him because of past history.  What are you saying? 

lake district canary wrote the following post at 18/12/2013 8:03 PM:

Vanwink wrote:

Lol! Honest view no more no less, as you know.

You''re still wrong.

Now where did I put that blanket.....................

Ha ha ..nice one.....

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Vanwink"]OK. LDC if our say so.

Happy Christmas

Lol[/quote]

You''ve lost me somewhere along the way.  What has Nutty to do with this?   I happen to agree with some of Nutty''s views, but I don''t particularly get along with him because of past history.  What are you saying? 

[/quote]

He''sw saying I hounded you Lakey. Although both he and you will struggle to actually put any meat on those bones. I will stand by everything I''ve ever posted on this board and have never been in a position where I wanted past views to disappear.

Now Winky on the other hand admitted that he joined this board top start a vendetta with posters he disliked. Although how he knew he disliked them is a mystery. But I suppose one self-confessed sh it stirrer is preferable to a joke named troll. But there''s not much in it....

I agree with all the points everyone''s made about his qualities, he really does have fantastic ability. But I really don''t think he uses it or applies himself enough. I think he''s had a good season so far but I also don''t get why he''s getting so much praise either, yes he''s a fantastic player but he''s not showing it enough for me.

Well, the club have given him a long contract. When is the last time one of our players got such a contract? This would indicate that the boardroom rate him as one of our most important players. I can see him being captain next season.