Sign in to follow this  
BarclayWazza

All I want for Christmas

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

That''s the unfortunate reality of this league I''m afraid. Every season is pretty much the same. Teams have to progress to tread water. I think we did better than tread water last season and I hope we do this. I''ve continually said I think we''ll finish with 45/50 points and pushing for top half.

Taking the league as a whole both Swansea and WBA progressed last season but have probably regressed this. This season Southampton look to have progressed the most but the proof will be in the final league table. The reality is that there''s a chance of a couple of surprises in the top half each season but the clubs can never sustain it.

[/quote]

I''m talking more about how we as a team have progressed rather than compared to the rest of the league, I would say its perfectly possible for us to progress into being a better side but still finish lower or with less points, if the rest of the league improved more than we did (or the opposite, getting worse and finishing higher).

For me, progress would be signs that are turning into a more cohesive and convincing side than we were a year ago, and I don''t think we''re seeing that.

[quote user="Dandy Mountfarto"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

That''s the unfortunate reality of this league I''m afraid. Every season is pretty much the same. Teams have to progress to tread water. I think we did better than tread water last season and I hope we do this. I''ve continually said I think we''ll finish with 45/50 points and pushing for top half.

Taking the league as a whole both Swansea and WBA progressed last season but have probably regressed this. This season Southampton look to have progressed the most but the proof will be in the final league table. The reality is that there''s a chance of a couple of surprises in the top half each season but the clubs can never sustain it.

[/quote]

I''m talking more about how we as a team have progressed rather than compared to the rest of the league, I would say its perfectly possible for us to progress into being a better side but still finish lower or with less points, if the rest of the league improved more than we did (or the opposite, getting worse and finishing higher).

For me, progress would be signs that are turning into a more cohesive and convincing side than we were a year ago, and I don''t think we''re seeing that.

[/quote]

I think we are doing. I see six clean sheets as a pointer to that. Two away wins already as a pointer to that. 5 points won from losing positions as a pointer to that.

Why do you think we''re not more cohesive or convincing?

We still have exactly the same problems as we''ve had for over a year, we struggle to keep possession, and are extremely bad at fashioning chances. Our attacking play is just a bit incoherent, the only times we''ve managed to cut through a defence has been on the counter when the other team was forced to commit men forward, if our opponents get back in numbers we have no idea what to do. Hughton''s clearly a safe pair of hands but after a year and a half of his reign I''m starting to think these things are not bugs, they are features. Our coaching staff is willing to trade off attacking movement and possession for defensive solidity.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"]is a Dukla Prague away strip.

[/quote]

best response of the day :-)

[quote user="Dandy Mountfarto"]We still have exactly the same problems as we''ve had for over a year, we struggle to keep possession, and are extremely bad at fashioning chances. Our attacking play is just a bit incoherent, the only times we''ve managed to cut through a defence has been on the counter when the other team was forced to commit men forward, if our opponents get back in numbers we have no idea what to do. Hughton''s clearly a safe pair of hands but after a year and a half of his reign I''m starting to think these things are not bugs, they are features. Our coaching staff is willing to trade off attacking movement and possession for defensive solidity.[/quote]

I think the way we play is endemic of all the clubs around us. Even Lambert has become more conservative this season. That''s the business we''re in now. Sooooo many of the games between sides in similar positions are decided by a mistake rather than brilliant attacking play.

I think we''ve improved this season in that regard. Hooper and RVWs movement up front is better. Fers vision in midfield is better. Add to that the unpredictability of Redmond and it''s clear to me we have progressed.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I think the way we play is endemic of all the clubs around us. Even Lambert has become more conservative this season. That''s the business we''re in now. Sooooo many of the games between sides in similar positions are decided by a mistake rather than brilliant attacking play. [/quote]I agree with this (although Southampton and Swansea seem to manage to buck the trend) but I''m not sure its relevant to the question of whether we''ve improved. I''m not saying we should be carving open teams left right and centre, just questioning whether we are any better in that regard than we were last season.

[quote]I think we''ve improved this season in that regard. Hooper and RVWs movement up front is better. Fers vision in midfield is better. Add to that the unpredictability of Redmond and it''s clear to me we have progressed.[/quote]

And yet we''ve scored less goals, conceded more, and have less points than we did at this time last year. 

We''ve introduced another seven players into the squad with four or five in the first team. The team is not more cohesive than a year again because it is still evolving. It needs time for the new players to settle in.

We will reach a stage where new players are fewer and blend in easier but that time is not yet and to expect otherwise is unrealistic

[quote user="Dandy Mountfarto"][quote user="nutty nigel"]I think the way we play is endemic of all the clubs around us. Even Lambert has become more conservative this season. That''s the business we''re in now. Sooooo many of the games between sides in similar positions are decided by a mistake rather than brilliant attacking play. [/quote]I agree with this (although Southampton and Swansea seem to manage to buck the trend) but I''m not sure its relevant to the question of whether we''ve improved. I''m not saying we should be carving open teams left right and centre, just questioning whether we are any better in that regard than we were last season.

[quote]I think we''ve improved this season in that regard. Hooper and RVWs movement up front is better. Fers vision in midfield is better. Add to that the unpredictability of Redmond and it''s clear to me we have progressed.[/quote]

And yet we''ve scored less goals, conceded more, and have less points than we did at this time last year. 

[/quote]

Now it''s you comparing us to other teams. I think the points I made about the new signings were relevant to you wanting to see signs of progression without comparing us to other teams?

Olsson, Fer, Redmond, Hooper, Elmander and RVW have helped the club progress and as they play more together the performances will follow. By the end of this season I predict we will have 45/50 points, be pushing for top half and the quality and cohesion of our team performnces will have progressed a lot from last season. I can see it happening already.

But while we have to continue to invest at this rate to progress we will eventually hit the glass ceiling. For those who crave excitement I''m afraid only a cup run or relegation fight can provide it now..

I would agree with this. It''s also the reason that most teams are never ''established'' in the premiership. Outside of the megabucks clubs it''s about running fast enough to keep heads above water. Hughton''s sides are doing this and I''m happy with the development we are seeing. It''s especially good to see players like the Murphy twins and Morris starting to look as if they will be breaking into the side over the next couple of seasons.