Sign in to follow this  
BarclayWazza

All I want for Christmas

1. PLEASE STOP THE INVERTED WINGERS! Many valid comments on the match thread about this but our strikers need quick whipped balls into the box (high and low) not checks back inside and floated balls in.

2. More timely subs and positive tactical changes. That game was there for the taking today, none of this rubbish about a good point away from home - they''d played 120 minutes in midweek and they were the ones pressing with a high line today. It was crying out for changes but nothing forecoming until 75th minute.

3. Snodgrass to put earlier balls into the box. Lost count of the number of times he tries to turn or get past a player when a quicker ball in is the better option.

4. As most of us seem to recognise this and after a season and a half of Hughton seemingly unable to, if we can''t get the first 3 could we please have Hughton out so someone more capable can make this team realise its potential.

[quote user="Buh"]Why didn''t you just say "HOOTUN OOT BUH!"

It''s much quicker to type out.[/quote]

Because I like to make logical reasoned arguments ;-)

Barclaywazza.   Snodgrass appeared on the left today quite often, interchanging with Redmond.  Not so much second half because of the pressure we were under.   Its a good tactic.   But I agree, Snodgrass looks too predictable and weak floating in crosses from the right. 

Can people please remember that it was Snoddy''s first game back from an injury. He was never going to be at his very best. I am suprised he made the starting XI. Snoddy will get better and his performances will improve.

the inverted wingers thing wont change unless we sign a natural pacey left footed winger, which will see snodgrass either sold or dropped to the benchhughtons substitutions and inability to affect a game positively form the sideline is his biggest weakness, but whos going to get him to change that ? i dont think we played for the draw, i  hink we just rubbish in the 2nd half, which is more worrying. I dont really like the way hughton seems happy with a point post match though, sunderland are bottom of the table for a reason. doesnt fill me with optimism, the jury is still out

I would say, from an ''inverted cross'' Snodgrass planted the ball right on the head of Hooper who should have done much better.

We have a naturally pacy right footed winger who is wasted on the left at the moment and while Snod can''t take much flack for 1st game back from injury, my criticism is based over the whole season and is on decision making, not anything linked with fitness.

Hughton happy with a point against the bottom side who''d played 120 minutes midweek... I made a point in another thread about Lambert going for the win in these games - If they result in a win as often as they do a loss then it''s still more points!

[quote user="splutcho"]I would say, from an ''inverted cross'' Snodgrass planted the ball right on the head of Hooper who should have done much better.[/quote]

We''re not blessed with the best aerial strikers so the ball has to be of a consistent superior quality for it to be effective. Neither Snod or Redmond strengths at the moment. With natural wingers, you have the option on low and high balls into the box. I''d wager most strikers would prefer those kind of crosses.

Not once will I say I want Lambert back - I don''t. I want a manager who will make the most of the best squad we''ve probably ever had. Whether that''s Hughton or someone else I don''t care, just I don''t think Hughton is capable. And when you''ve had someone who successfully showed what can be done by having a go, it shows up what Hughton is doing. Safety first Hughton won''t get us relegated but he won''t progress us as a team.

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 21/12/2013 6:24 PM:

But we are progressing as a team and a club...

Where too?

Apologies Chops, I hadn''t read Powles'' article and glad I didn''t!! Hopefully mine made for better reading :-)

Nige - do you honestly believe Hughton is making the most of what is at his disposal? In terms of quality of players, yes we are moving forward. In terms of managerial nous we''re in need of an upgrade.

I''m certain we are. The whole club is progressing. If the first team doesn''t progress we will be relegated. Make no mistake about that. But the whole club is progressing. If supporters can''t have pride in where we are now then they never will. It''s no longer about "look how far we''ve come" but about "look how far we continue to go".

If you don''t think what we have achieved is progression then please explain what would be?

It''s hard to say, approaching the half way point we''re below where we were last season in league position, playing football I''d hardly call entertaining. So in that aspect I think we have regressed. However we have probably the best squad we''ve ever had and on the soundest financial footing ever. Depends what you''re looking for.

Improved league position through a number of things I think are currently missing: more entertaining football and improved use of substitutions and tactical changes. Actually pretty much what I said I wanted for Christmas ;-)

Last season we improved league position. Had a cup run to the quarters in the league cup and saw some epic games against some of the very best sides in Europe. This seaon isn''t even half over yet and we''re on course for another good one.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Are we really? I can''t really see any difference between how we play now, and the sort of points per game we''re picking up, than when Hughton first took over.

You can see he''s doing a good job results wise for sure but I''m not sure you can say we''re progressing, we''re treading water relatively comfortably in lower mid table and that doesn''t look like changing in either direction.

[quote user="Dandy Mountfarto"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Are we really? I can''t really see any difference between how we play now, and the sort of points per game we''re picking up, than when Hughton first took over.

You can see he''s doing a good job results wise for sure but I''m not sure you can say we''re progressing, we''re treading water relatively comfortably in lower mid table and that doesn''t look like changing in either direction.

[/quote]

That''s the unfortunate reality of this league I''m afraid. Every season is pretty much the same. Teams have to progress to tread water. I think we did better than tread water last season and I hope we do this. I''ve continually said I think we''ll finish with 45/50 points and pushing for top half.

Taking the league as a whole both Swansea and WBA progressed last season but have probably regressed this. This season Southampton look to have progressed the most but the proof will be in the final league table. The reality is that there''s a chance of a couple of surprises in the top half each season but the clubs can never sustain it.

[quote user="Dandy Mountfarto"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That''s the unfortunate reality of this league I''m afraid. Every season is pretty much the same. Teams have to progress to tread water. I think we did better than tread water last season and I hope we do this. I''ve continually said I think we''ll finish with 45/50 points and pushing for top half.

Taking the league as a whole both Swansea and WBA progressed last season but have probably regressed this. This season Southampton look to have progressed the most but the proof will be in the final league table. The reality is that there''s a chance of a couple of surprises in the top half each season but the clubs can never sustain it.