Sign in to follow this  
Warren Hill

Can we catch Southampton?

For all that they started the season so strongly, a few results have gone against them and they have dropped back towards our "section" of the table leaving Newcastle as the only interlopers above the "big 7".

Have they just had a tough set of fixturs? Are they just being a bit unlucky? Has Pochettino lost the plot? Were they never that good in the first place?

Whatever it is they are now only 5 points ahead of us, I think they represent a realistic target and I have a sneaky feeling we might catch and overtake them.

Maybe I''m letting a couple of clean sheets away from home go to my head...

A couple of weeks ago Ricky Lambert was saying how they are aiming for a champions league place, and to win the league next season. Bet he feels a bit silly at the moment.

Funny that you mention Newcastle Warren as I seem to recall one of our experts who no longer posts declared that Pardew would be the first to get the sack LAST season. [;)]

Far be it from me to agree with a ''happy clapper'' Warren :-) but I have been thinking the same thing.

Their problem mainly concerns the defence as far as I can make out.

Only a few weeks ago i was thinking they will not be in our group but now I look for their result for those good old reasons!!

I thought we were better than them when we beat them so I''m really not surprised that gap has closed. There won''t be much in it come the end of the season. Wonder what point their fans will start moaning...

That''s brought me back down to earth Lincoln. Thanks.

Through your negative eyewear, you do see that we''re closer to Southampton than the bottom 3 don''t you?

We''re in for some bad weather too...

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Southampton are a quality side this year......teams such as Fulham and West ham will find some form at some point......[/quote]Heaven forbid we should find some form at some point, that would really be a downer for you miserablists. [:(]Miserable Christmas and a Horrible New Year Lincoln (if that''s what makes you happy). [:S]

[quote user="lincoln canary"]No chance. Southampton are a quality side this year and will finish comfortably ahead of us. Lets just focus on finishing 17th or above. You know that teams such as Fulham and West ham will find some form at some point, so for me keeping clear of these two should be the aim.[/quote]

Blimey look who visits Lincoln to clamber down the chimneys at Christmas ba humbug.

[URL=http://media.photobucket.com/user/snowangel62311/media/Avatars/grim_reaper_come_with_me.gif.html][IMG]http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc465/snowangel62311/Avatars/grim_reaper_come_with_me.gif[/IMG][/URL]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lincoln canary"]Southampton are a quality side this year......teams such as Fulham and West ham will find some form at some point......[/quote]Heaven forbid we should find some form at some point, that would really be a downer for you miserablists. [:(]Miserable Christmas and a Horrible New Year Lincoln (if that''s what makes you happy). [:S]

[/quote]We don''t find form, we get luckier.

[quote user="Warren Hill"]That''s brought me back down to earth Lincoln. Thanks.

Through your negative eyewear, you do see that we''re closer to Southampton than the bottom 3 don''t you?

We''re in for some bad weather too...[/quote]

Sorry yes your right. Well in that case were certain for a top half finish then. After all change is a rare thing in football.

Glad you''ve seen the error of your ways Tinky-Lincy.

I wouldn''t say we are certain to finish top half but I think we could give it a jolly good go.

Here''s a thought for you....having played 17 games we''ve got 19 points. If we assume we are going to lose the last 4 games (shouldn''t be too hard for you, you think we''ll lose every game) then we are halfway to the 34 game point where our points getting chances cease.

If you double out current points tally (matching our performance in our opening 17 fixtures) we''ll only get to 38 points and possible relegation.

Of course that''s hyper-simplistic and overlooks the fact that we''ve played some of the teams we meet in games 35-38 in games 1-17 but it gives you something to cling to.

Merry Xmas Lincoln old bean, watch out for that bad weather.