Sign in to follow this  
Howson is now!

Young Norwich City talent on loan to MLS

Eric Dier is an interesting one, if you haven''t heard of him then give him a google..... Ricky Van Wolfswinkel knows him well ;)

[quote user="Le Juge"]"You''ll have to excuse me if I don''t rebut it with the names of the players from the US who are going to compete for the world cup in the next 15-25 years"

My point proven completely. So some people are claiming that the US are going to win a World Cup in 15 to 25 years despite the fact that the players are still in a ball sack somewhere, and apparently I''m the leftfield one. Ha.

Proves my point exactly, how Americans will go on about how great they are and gullible people will lap it up.

Then again maybe there really are some sperm somewhere playing football like Messi and scientists noticing their superior talent through a microscope.[/quote]A few interesting points there. Now, let''s combine these points to what was actually said, seeing as though I was the one making the 15-25 year claim.1) The original claim in the thread was that the USA would be competing for world cups. I havn''t claimed they would win won. They may. But I stand by the opinion that they will be getting close.2) I stated before that my opinion comes from many conversations I''ve had with a friend of mine who is in the youth coaching setup in Kansas City. Apparently this person is "an American going on about how good they are", which is odd seing as though my friend is a) English, b) been coaching football at an elite level for about 15 years, and c) Coached in England, the US and Holland.3) Personally, I don''t have a horse in the race. I''m neither English, or American. I''m just a fan of football. I just thought it was interesting to add to this topic of debate.It''s been good talking on the matter Le Judge. You obviously think that my opinion is wrong. However, in discussing the point, I have the choice of 2 "expert" opinions. One, is a professional coach with the credentials as outlined above. The other has the ability to Google current Under 21 squads and somehow try and link that to a countries performance in world cups in 25 years time.I''m probably not going to choose your opinion.

The training methods and facilites are miles above what we have in the UK, even more so at lower levels.Unfortunatley the talent just isnt there at the moment.Hopefully ageing world stars going over there will rise the reputation, thus attracting more younger better players and better coaches, rising standards in general.I said 10 years ago, that USA and/or Australia will be competing to a high standard in the next 20 years.Really would like to see the US become a national football force.

Also the bit about ''this been our best U21 squad for some time is garbage''Weve been saying that for 10-15 years. Some of them players on that list are laughable.

[quote user="CDMullins"]The training methods and facilites are miles above what we have in the UK, even more so at lower levels.Unfortunatley the talent just isnt there at the moment.Hopefully ageing world stars going over there will rise the reputation, thus attracting more younger better players and better coaches, rising standards in general.I said 10 years ago, that USA and/or Australia will be competing to a high standard in the next 20 years.Really would like to see the US become a national football force.

Also the bit about ''this been our best U21 squad for some time is garbage''Weve been saying that for 10-15 years. Some of them players on that list are laughable.

[/quote]Australia is getting there. The A League is getting bigger. The best thing they ever did was moving it from winter to the summer, meaning that they no longer need to compete with Australian Rules or Rugby League for coverage. Now it gets good coverage, and the crowds are good, and increasing.Australia is way behind though in youth development. It''s not getting anywhere near the investment from team owners as it is in the US. Plus, the US has the NCAA system, which helps with some of the investment as well. What Australia does have is the talent coming through, but they usually end up having to make a European move to move to the next level.

Brilliant idea.

Let''s send our youngsters to a league where premier league players see out there twilight years of football for more money than ever got in the prem.

that league is all about how good your hair looks and see how many shirts you can sell with your name and number on the back for the club

It''s not football it''s advertising

While I have witnessed the overall standard of MLS significantly improved over the last 5 or so years, it has a long way to go before the general skills on display reach those of the Championship. Teams are developing their own academies but it will be several years before they are producing any talent. Facilities vary significantly from team to team. Some like Houston rival those of the best anywhere < just smaller), but most share facilities with other sports or college teams.

While I would love to see Norwich youngsters play here, they would get better experience in League 1 or the Championship.

It''s unanimous. Texas-based Norwich fans agree this is not the place to develop our talent.

You know who does have a great youth system (based on U-age World Cups) is Mexico.

alartz, your level of ignorance about MLS is embarrassing. Where you dreamt up such stupidity is beyond me. I''m sure it''s based on some misinformed resentment of America, but rest assured we are not a stereotype, this isn''t Happy Days, and I''m not the Fonz.

Aaaaaaaaye

"The training methods and facilites are miles above what we have in the UK"

Can you and the man who claims to know "elite" coaches (but apparently not elite enough to be working in a proper football league) explain exactly how or what they have in terms of "facilities" which you can''t find at Colney?

People are making huge claims about these immense facilities, but I find it difficult to understand exactly what they have which we don''t.

I can''t think of anything that we lack at Colney apart from that incredible piece of multi-million pound technology that Dortmund have which teaches accuracy.

So go on then..... support your rhetoric with some example of what facilities they are getting in the USA which our academy system cannot provide?

[quote user="Le Juge"]"The training methods and facilites are miles above what we have in the UK"

Can you and the man who claims to know "elite" coaches (but apparently not elite enough to be working in a proper football league) explain exactly how or what they have in terms of "facilities" which you can''t find at Colney?

People are making huge claims about these immense facilities, but I find it difficult to understand exactly what they have which we don''t.

I can''t think of anything that we lack at Colney apart from that incredible piece of multi-million pound technology that Dortmund have which teaches accuracy.

So go on then..... support your rhetoric with some example of what facilities they are getting in the USA which our academy system cannot provide?[/quote]OK, I''ll get to answering your question. However, the fact that this is the question you''re asking leads me to believe that you have a fundamental lack of understanding of what I''m trying to say in regards to the whole setup of football development in the US and it''s direction.One key statistic in this thread you have skimmed over. [quote user="MarchingOrders"]

Soccer recently ranked as the #2 sport for US kids (12-24)[/quote]Let me put this a different way. There are more people between the ages of 12-24 playing ''soccer'' in the US than people playing football in England. The problem the USA needs to solve, as mentioned previously in this tread, is how to develop those guys who are clearly playing the sport into world class footballers. They have devised 3 main things to achieve this.1) Work with collages to see how the NCAA system can be better used to keep elite talent in the game.2) Raise the profile of the game.3) Allow better coaching and development facilities.The most important of those points is point number 1.Each of these points however needs significant investment, and something that the MLS has managed to do is to attract investment by attracting MLS team owners who are very rich. Sporting Kansas City are owned by a consortium of 6 (i think) business owners. One of which is a local guy by the name of Neal Patterson, who is worth about 1 Al Fayad, half a Malcom Glazier, but only about a tenth of an Abromovich (but he only owns a sixth of the club). These rich owners are providing the investment to achieve those 3 objectives. Some team owners are choosing to invest in big name players. Others are being a little more forward thinking. While PL team owners are only thinking of their club, MLS owners are taking a more holistic and forward thinking approach, as they also need to grow the game in order to get return on their investments.So, getting to your point. Are the facilities better than those you see at the big clubs in Britain or Europe? I have no idea. I''ve only been to one training excellence center before in my life, so I have nothing to compare it to. All I''ll say is what I saw was impressive, and while it may not be better, I''d doubt it''s significantly worse.However, the facilities are only one small part of the equation.Point 1 I raised above is the biggest issue football in the USA needs to solve. The US have an amazing system in the NCAA Collage Sports system in order to develop sporting talent. The issue has always been tough that as far as professional team sports goes, it has so far been geared around producing players for basketball, baseball and American Football, as this is where the money is. Now, I have no idea how the MLS teams are working with the collages to solve this. I''m no expert in this field. Some of our American friends may know more. But I know that what they''re trying to do is work and invest with the collages to make ''soccer'' a viable and lucrative sport for emerging talent to take on as part of their collage sports career. If they crack this, the world is their oyster.This work is also having an amazing side effect. US collages lead the way in sports science, because they get so much money from their NCAA sports programs. As a result, this is helping the US be at the leading edge of training methods. So, while the facilities might be equal or worse, the sports science and ability to innovate in the areas of training and performance is top class.So, in the work put into point 1 above, they actually also getting benefits in point 3. The training and development of their talent.As for the question as for why my ''alleged'' mate is in Kansas City, and not somewhere in Europe. There is one word mentioned above which answers that question. That word? ''Investment''. They have significant money to pay for coaches, along with everything else I''ve mentioned above.

Great post Michael.....

The system of tracking kids from the age of 10 or so used in the UK is not used by sports in the US. Kids with promise graduate high school to college on Sporting Scolarships. It is there their talents are progressed and readied for professional sports ( and maybe a little education too). So you don''t have teenagers like Nathan Redmond on professional teams, they are still at college ! Decisions to be a pro sportsman are made at 23 or so, not 16. Football is not a mainstream college program unlike basketball or American football. MLS has to break the mold and take kids from high school, or establish college programs that allow them to play on Saturday for their team. MLS is a business, the teams are not Clubs as we think of Norwich. Therefore taking the kids from school will deliver the quickest return on investment in my opinion and will be the way the MLS owners will have to go.

Enjoyed the thread.

Good stuff to you too, TC. The MLS is sort of one big team in how it operates. Players don''t come play in the Prem without league approval. Kai Kamara''s time at City involved not only us and KC, but the league office too. Jeff Cameron was signed sealed and delivered as far as Stoke and Houston were concerned but it took a few weeks longer as the league mulled it over and decided how to share the transfer fee.

Jurgen Klinnsman''s plan to develop US talent looks more like what''s happening in Europe so the impact of college programs may lessen, or Klinnsman''s project, if developed, may give us yet another means, making the 15-25 year prediction longer than necessary.

My boy has been to a couple of soccer camps with the Dynamo, and there is definitely some good young talent in the pipeline.

It would be a bad idea to send "Young Norwich City talent on loan to MLS" as it would be very difficult to monitor their progress, the kids might not settle, and besides, we have one of the top youth systems in the country.I would favour them being sent to lower league clubs so that they can get an idea of what it would be like and to help toughen them up.

A really good thread of responses that almost managed to stay on topic for the whole time with as little snide comments as possible.

Was really interesting to see the in-roads that the US are making in terms of their development and was good to see comparisons between there and our lower leagues for development.

Someone did challenge me on my view of getting the cr@p kicked out of you in the lower leagues and whilst I concede it may not be as bad as I remember, I really think that one of the biggest difficulties our players have when developing is that due to an ingrained "English" mentality, they choose to focus on strength and toughness rather than skill and flair.

Another poster brought up that if you wanted to focus on those elements where they would have more time on the ball that we should be sending them to Spain. I wouldn''t be opposed to any of our youth players going anywhere to develop their skills but have never really been aware of many young English players heading to Europe to develop. This post was just down to the Pinkun report on players heading to the MLS.

I don''t think it would be that difficult to monitor Tom. You would have fully in depth reports coming back from the coaches working with the players, DVD after DVD of games and training sessions to review, and realistically would be no different to scouting players abroad.