Sign in to follow this  
BigFish

The Messiah?

Aston Villa - Jonathan Pritchard - Observer reader

4/10 It''s been intensely dull but now it''s getting worrying. A glorious flying start at Arsenal has been followed by a straight line decline to a point where it''s hard to see where the next win or goal is coming from. Indeed we''ve been shut out in five of our eight home games, which is just plain embarrassing. Thank goodness we''ve somehow scored some points already: the fluke wins against Man City and Southampton may prove crucial later on. Lambert had sacrificed attacking flair for defensive stability, but even that seems a distant memory now that Vlaar is hurt. If Benteke doesn''t start scoring again it''s going to be another very long winter. Gates have held up brilliantly given the mediocrity of the past few years'' fare but patience is wearing thin.

Stars and flops Delph, by a mile. Of course he will now get an England call-up and immediately request a transfer. Benteke is clearly playing with an injury so he''s off the hook for now. Weimann has lost his confidence and has been disappointing. It takes 25 minutes to realise Westwood is playing each week, and Lambert''s new signings, Bacuna excepted, look limited.

The gaffer: Paul Lambert 4/10 There''s a grudging acceptance that Lambert is probably as good a manager as Aston Villa can aspire to these days, but there doesn''t seem to be any on-field tactics or strategy at all. Worryingly, he''s started dressing like a 45-year-old divorcee at a singles night for touchline duties.

Who should he sign? Pragmatism must rule: a couple of senior pros on loan to steady the ship.

What one rule-change would you love to see? Reverting to two points for a win should help us stay up and subject everyone else to the defensive-minded dross we''ve seen all year.

Lol - the messiah my @rse

[quote user="BigFish"]Aston Villa - Jonathan Pritchard - Observer reader

4/10 It''s been intensely dull but now it''s getting worrying. A glorious flying start at Arsenal has been followed by a straight line decline to a point where it''s hard to see where the next win or goal is coming from. Indeed we''ve been shut out in five of our eight home games, which is just plain embarrassing. Thank goodness we''ve somehow scored some points already: the fluke wins against Man City and Southampton may prove crucial later on. Lambert had sacrificed attacking flair for defensive stability, but even that seems a distant memory now that Vlaar is hurt. If Benteke doesn''t start scoring again it''s going to be another very long winter. Gates have held up brilliantly given the mediocrity of the past few years'' fare but patience is wearing thin.

Stars and flops Delph, by a mile. Of course he will now get an England call-up and immediately request a transfer. Benteke is clearly playing with an injury so he''s off the hook for now. Weimann has lost his confidence and has been disappointing. It takes 25 minutes to realise Westwood is playing each week, and Lambert''s new signings, Bacuna excepted, look limited.

The gaffer: Paul Lambert 4/10 There''s a grudging acceptance that Lambert is probably as good a manager as Aston Villa can aspire to these days, but there doesn''t seem to be any on-field tactics or strategy at all. Worryingly, he''s started dressing like a 45-year-old divorcee at a singles night for touchline duties.

Who should he sign? Pragmatism must rule: a couple of senior pros on loan to steady the ship.

What one rule-change would you love to see? Reverting to two points for a win should help us stay up and subject everyone else to the defensive-minded dross we''ve seen all year.

Lol - the messiah my @rse[/quote]

Good job they have a keeper who is forever on form

Paul Lambert was absolutely awesome for us and that''s all that matters.

If only that were the case GJP....

I don''t think this reflects much on Lambert any more than the  various weekly moans about Hughton on here reflect on him. This just shows how short termist many fans have become in an age where people want things instantly. As I will continue to point out on the thread I bump - Lambert and Hughton are both doing as well as eachother. Not as poorly as many would say but as well.

.......and that is why I posted this in the first place. GJP - you have missed the point, yes PL was great for us but those times are gone and there is nothing in his record at Villa to suggest he would be great for us now. Time for some to accept that PL & CH are doing roughly equivalent jobs at the moment but my money is on City finishing higher than Villa again.

This is a very cruel post to be making at this time of year BigFish.

Some posters on here are still obsessing about Paul Lambert two years after he left and hoping that - like the Messiah - he will return someday.

Pointing out that he''s probably not a better manager than Chris Hughton and possibly not as good is akin to telling young children that Santa doesn''t exist.

[quote user="BigFish"]GJP - you have missed the point, [/quote]

No I haven''t.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="BigFish"]GJP - you have missed the point, [/quote]

No I haven''t.

[/quote]

Oh, yes you Have !

He is the Messiah always has been always will be. We owe him everything he saved us from years in the lower leagues. Watching the rubbish hughton dish''s up each week it hits home every week what we have lost.

Lets hope the second coming wont be to long.

Sadly many managers sitting lower mid table are going to have people moaning about them among the fans. Even Malky at Cardiff had been getting stick and they are only a couple of points below us and above the drop zone! This is after a League Cup Final, Play off finish and Championship title!

Realistically what can we hope for?

Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Everton, Newcastle, Tottenham and Man United currently sit in the Top 8 positions.

We are 2 points from 10th.

We are miles behind them in terms of quality among the top sides we could hope to overturn, Everton look class with an exciting manager, and Newcastle are again showing their potential without the hassles of the Europa League.

I certainly agree with Nutty''s comments. The only point I do agree with in the list is Lamberts attire - simply awful.

Back to the tracksuit and exposed socks young Lambert or you will regret it

[quote user="Waveney canary"]

He is the Messiah always has been always will be. We owe him everything he saved us from years in the lower leagues. Watching the rubbish hughton dish''s up each week it hits home every week what we have lost.

Lets hope the second coming wont be to long.

[/quote]

Ho hum, reading the Villa view of PL it would seem like his team is dishing up rubbish every week as well