Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Brigham

A love letter to Jonny Howson

Hello all. Here''s my latest blog, on the great Jonny Howson. Following Jonny Howson’s welcome contract extension, Daniel Brigham celebrates a cult hero in the making. Do you remember when fans didn’t rate Jonny Howson? For

much of last season he was the conduit for Carrow Road criticism. After

another one of his arcing balls skipped out of play like a puppy

bounding away from its owner you knew what was coming next: lots of

moaning, quite a bit of swearing. Howson’s detractors thought he

was out of his depth in the Premier League, his supporters believed he

was being held back by Chris Hughton. He was shoved into a system where

central midfielders are merely emotionless destroyers, like Bane but

without all that blubbing at the end. It didn’t suit him.Memories

of the previous season kept us believing. His bursting runs were

ingrained in our minds, his back straight like a folded ironing board as

he drove forward, chest unconventionally puffed out like Michael

Johnson. He was beginning to establish himself as Norwich’s best player

as the season ended, with an outstanding display in the win at White

Hart Lane reminiscent of the days when Goss, Sherwood, Crook, Phillips

controlled the pitch. Howson went into the 2012 summer break as

Martin Peters; unfortunately he returned as Mark Fotheringham. With

every miss-hit pass people wondered what David Fox had to do to get back

in. Howson spoke of his preference for playing further forward, but

Hughton insisted on sticking with him in that deep, defensive role, like

asking Usain Bolt to run marathons instead of sprints. Although

it blunted Howson’s effectiveness, his season spent toiling in an

unfamiliar position aided his development. He had to learn to read the

game better when not on the ball and his long passing improved. It has

made him a more complete midfielder. The news of his contract

extension was greeted with universal cheer, evidence of how much love

there is for him now, supplemented by his growing stature among those

looking for a cult hero. He is a character from a bygone era, whose goal

celebration is tinged with embarrassment, as if shy of the attention it

brings. He is softly spoken, a dreamer who looks like he should be

spending most of his day walking dogs across a windy Yorkshire Moor, a

battered acoustic guitar slung over his shoulder and some scribbled

poetry in a notepad.You (well, I) can imagine him on the team

bus, listening to The Smiths through an old Walkman, leafing through the

Compleat Angler while his team-mates bleed their ears with Tinie Tempah

and fiddle with their smart phones. Of course this impression

of him is almost certainly entirely inaccurate, but that doesn’t matter.

So quiet is his demeanour, so non-footbally, that it''s easy to project

your own image onto him. It’s a rare feat in these days of 24-hour

sports news and twitter, and he''s all the more likeable for it.Howson

is as demure on the pitch as off it. He is a stealth operator, the

straight man who sets up the punchlines. Where Leroy Fer can drift out

of a game, Howson has a greater level of consistency. Like Chris Waddle

he looks knackered after five minutes but is still going like a farm

hand in the 90th. He creates space for others through clever movement

and quick, snooker-cue passing, he is deceptively quick with the ball at

his feet and is surprisingly sprightly at skating past players.The

best thing about Howson, though, is that despite his excellent form he

still has room for improvement. His eye for the killer through-ball

isn’t yet as sharp as Fer’s – or Adam Lallana’s – and he hasn’t

displayed the ruthless, brutal ability to dominate matches in the way

that Fer has shown he can (at least in the second half of games,

anyway). But, at 25, Howson has plenty of time to craft an added

aggression into his play, to be a tackler as well as an interceptor.Together

he and Fer are Kylie and Jason, Ross and Rachel (without all the

kissing). They are best when a snarling Alex Tettey offers them Mr

T-like protection but when three’s a crowd they are equally adept as a

dynamic midfield pair in a 4-4-2. Together they cost less than a

combined £7m – a staggering £21m cheaper than Marouane Fellaini. With

business like that David McNally is entitled to as many yachts, gold

watches and mountain-based lairs as he likes with his megamillon

bonuses. With such prized assets comes the need for careful

management: Howson and Fer are the only two attacking midfielders

Norwich have available. Their hamstrings must be vibrating in fear at

the Christmas schedule. How Norwich could do with one of Fox,

Andrew Surman or Jacob Butterfield to allow Howson and Fer 90 minutes

off occasionally. Judiciously resting them will be key to sustaining

their form – and Norwich’s progression – throughout the season. Signing a

back-up in January should be the priority. An extra attacking

midfielder will allow Hughton the luxury of telling Howson to get in his

campervan and head to the Broads for a spot of fishing. He can relax,

recover, perhaps dream of the day – surely not too far off – when he can

rev up his Mustang and hit the road towards St George’s Park to report

for England training. Daniel Brigham is features editor of The Cricketer magazine.You can follow him on Twitter: @cricketer_dan

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]  Howson and Fer are the only two attacking midfielders Norwich have available.  [/quote]

Nowadays everybody wants to talk like they got something to say, but nothing comes out when they move their lips, just a bunch of gibberish - you m*therf*ckers act like you forgot about Hoolahan...

[quote user="Daniel Brigham"]The chances of Wes - who I also bloody love - playing in a central midfield pair is less likely than Hughton being the next Spurs manager. [/quote]

Ah yes, but you said ''attacking midfielder'' not attack-minded central midfielder. Hughton generally prefers 4-5-1 so I assumed you were referring to the position behind the striker, rather that a central midfielder. I agree, Wes is not a central midfielder. Eminem quote was not a slight on your article, which I think was well written - just wanted to point out that Wes is an attacking midfielder, and that you''d seemed to have forgotten about him - which put that song in my head. No offence intended

I could never forget about Wes! I do wish he was tried more often behind the striker - him and Hooper linked up superbly against Palace - but sadly it''s tough to see it happening.

Personally think you''ve gone a bit too far with the Howson praise mate. He''s a good player but has plenty of improvement to make, How many other Premier league teams do you think he would be a regular starter in?

I cannot remember making that statement, if I did I was deluded or hadn''t realised that Howson was a great CM although not as great as some seem to think until he tackles and creates assists more and certainly not a player to be played as an AM.

I presume I made that statement on the back of the fact that Hoolahan hardly ever shoots anymore , ironically Howson is exactly the opposite, whenever he is in the same postcode as the goal he goes for the top corner (not passing to the strikers)

if only we had a player who did both and tackled.

Oh we do his name is Leroy Fer

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]I cannot remember making that statement, if I did I was deluded or hadn''t realised that Howson was a great CM although not as great as some seem to think until he tackles and creates assists more and certainly not a player to be played as an AM. I presume I made that statement on the back of the fact that Hoolahan hardly ever shoots anymore , ironically Howson is exactly the opposite, whenever he is in the same postcode as the goal he goes for the top corner (not passing to the strikers) if only we had a player who did both and tackled. Oh we do his name is Leroy Fer[/quote]

Ah, this old nonsense again.

Fer has attempted more shots than Howson (yet only has 1 more league goal to his name). And has only managed 1 assist in the league. Yet you seem to have convinced yourself that every time he goes forward he either scores or makes an assist.

Howson has a higher pass success rate, makes more interceptions and loses the ball less - quite important stuff for any player, particularly a midfielder.

It''s quite bizarre how you seem to think Fer is so much ahead of Howson.

They are just both very good players. Surely everybody sure be able to see that. You''d have to question the judgement of someone who couldn''t.

hes really not that good

ill go so far to say if we stay up and sign what we can afford he will be a bench warmer or worse next season

player has one or two reasonable performances and people start wetting themselves. players that hint at their potential for 7 or 8 games a season just arent that great

I think Jonny Howson is a good squad player for Norwich City ( even for this level ) who is occasionally capable of turning in some very good performances. He also has an eye for goal and a decent shot when the opportunity presents itself. That said, it''s quite possible he is not injured but, having read this input from Daniel Brigham, spent the past 24 hours totally focused on preparing his crib notes of accolades with a view to conjuring up an interview with David Moyes next week as to why he is the answer to the midfield needs at Manchester United. [:D]

Love the bit about him playing for England. He''s certainly a highly competent Championship player who has games where he looks good at premier league level but he''s way off the quality of other English players like Tom Huddlestone, Jonjo Shelvey, Fabian Delph and Ravel Morrison, to name a few, who can''t even make it into the England squad themselves right now. If Hooper can get 10+ goals in the next half of the season he''ll probably get a call up ahead of Lambert but with Ben Foster regaining fitness that''s the only chance we really have of seeing a Norwich player playing for England any time soon.

He''s a "highly competent" Premier League player.

He''s also about the same kind of quality (at worst) of those players you''ve mentioned. Not a "way off".

Possibly a bit harsh on that front. The calls for him to be in the England squad are equally overblown in their praise as I was in my criticism though.He''s a tidy player who has improved his influence on games this season but to step up to that level he needs to step up his decision making when it comes to making forward passes. He wastes a few too many attacks when he''s running at the oppositions defence by making wrong passing decisions, hence his assist tally for the season so far of none.

Agree that his through-balls need sharpening, as I mentioned in the piece. But he creates so much space for himself and others that I have no doubt the forward passing will improve. Wouldn''t be surprised if an England call-up comes after the world cup.

[quote user="iron_stan"]hes really not that good

ill go so far to say if we stay up and sign what we can afford he will be a bench warmer or worse next season

player has one or two reasonable performances and people start wetting themselves. players that hint at their potential for 7 or 8 games a season just arent that great[/quote]Howson could easily find himself first choice in most mid table Prem clubs, easily the best midfielder we have. How can you under rate him so badly ?! Do you actually watch how he plays ?

Personally having watched him play I would say he''s a poor tackler, slow to close down opponents, average passer, good at making threatening runs at the opponents defence and a really great finisher. Used in a 4-5-1 where he has freedom to play an openly offensive game he''s a useful asset. However played in a deep lying role as he was against Swansea and for the majority of last season his natural game is unnecessarily stifled. The lack of creativity in the final third would suggest there is the potential for us to upgrade at some point though.