Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Managers with no experience

Reading the Tim Sherwood thing, left me wondering when was the last time that a club (high profile) decided to appoint a manager with no previous experience and it went well? I know all managers have to hve there first job somewhere and that many will be good, but you would have thought you would start off at a lower level. Clubs sometimes get the brainwave to appoint a complete rookie, like we did with Gunn. When was the last time this worked out? Anyone got any good examples?

Interesting that all those mentioned had played for those Clubs/Countries previously.

Was there the ''romantic'' notion of a past player, part of the decision making?

When was the last Prem manager taken on without experience, or past playing experience at that Club?

Would people count Pochettino?

And the premise of this thread is "waa! I want a manager with a connection to the club and no experience at all waa!"

[quote user="Buh"]And the premise of this thread is "waa! I want a manager with a connection to the club and no experience at all waa!"[/quote]

Erm, nope. Was just wondering and thought it would make an interesting topic for discussion, as I generally felt such an option usually failed. Inspired by the recent dicussion of Sherwood''s claims he should be in with a shout of the Tottenham job. Which I kind of said

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]

[quote user="Buh"]And the premise of this thread is "waa! I want a manager with a connection to the club and no experience at all waa!"[/quote]

Erm, nope. Was just wondering and thought it would make an interesting topic for discussion, as I generally felt such an option usually failed. Inspired by the recent dicussion of Sherwood''s claims he should be in with a shout of the Tottenham job. Which I kind of said

[/quote]
Yep it is a good subject, that doesn''t get covered a great deal generally speaking.  
Maybe, it''s because big names, big reps are a bit of a myth.  Similar thinking to changing your manager (unless there''s a truly serious problem of course) doesn''t make a great deal of difference.
Maybe basic managing a football club is a piece of piss.  And all that''s really needed is experience of the ins and outs of the pro game.  A certain amount of knowledge about tactics and formations.  And the most important skill of all imo, is man management of differing kinds of player characters.
And of course a ****ing good dollop of luck along the way.
Now thinking about great managers,  your Fergies and Bobby Robsons etc.  Their man management skills imo were key.  They knew went to throw tea cups, they knew when cajole, they knew when to whatever at the right time.  
Find a manager still a bit green in the lower leagues that has those attributes, they won''t do any worse than paying a fortune to some big name with an overinflated rep.

Appointing someone with no experience tends to happen more often with

caretakers who end up getting the job permanently when results go well. Off the top of my head I can think of Stuart Murdock at Wimbledon who went from goalkeeping coach to lead the team to a respectable 8th in the 1st division in the early 2000''s.

When Lambert left, I remember feeling very strongly that he was key to all our success and that the bottom could drop out of everything. I remember feeling very strongly that what we needed was continuation, not revolution. For that reason I remember feeling that Culverhouse would have been my number one choice, to continue the good work of the Lambert era, rather than everything fall apart. Obviously the disintegragration theory didnt happen, and certainly I wouldnt advocate Culverhouse now, just I felt at the time we couldnt afford to let the bubble burst. Does anyone think that he might have done a good job if he''d taken over after Lambert left? Or would it have been a failure?

Always difficult to speculate what might have happened, GMD. But it was never likely to happen , as Lambert/Culverhouse/Karsa seem to go around as a package, which is the fashion these days (Hughes/Bowen is another example with Norwich connections). One does get the impression that Hughton/Calderwood and Trollope are heading that way.As for the Clive Woodward experiment at Southampton, well, it did not last long...it was about that time that Saints went into freefall (probably even worse than us). I seem to remember talking to one of my rugby fan friends, and he told me Woodward had gone back to rugby, in some sort of consultancy capacity to one of the big London teams (Saracens ,  Harlequins or the like).

I think Culverhouse would''ve taken the Norwich job if offered. I think it would be hard for any coach in football to turn down the offer of managing a team in the top flight. But, lets face it, he was never going to get that offer as he had no actual managerial experience despite his coaching record.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]I think Culverhouse would''ve taken the Norwich job if offered. I think it would be hard for any coach in football to turn down the offer of managing a team in the top flight. But, lets face it, he was never going to get that offer as he had no actual managerial experience despite his coaching record.
[/quote]

Few good managers mentioned on this thread though who did. Interesting Bowen has been mentioned, sure he was considered a contender for the job at some point (with the bookies at least). Also, wasnt hughton promoted from assistant manager at Newcastle? (albeit they werent Premiership at that point)

Yes warren. Nigel Adkins was a physio. As was les Reed once of tranmere.

Nigel worthington was untried, as we''re walker and stringer. I don''t want to think about poor Peter grant. Fantastic coach, they say.

But i do admire him for stepping down when he realised he couldn''t turn it around.

Worthy had managed Blackpool and had been assistant manager of N Ireland U21s before being assistant here and then manager. Walker had managed Colchester before managing our reserve team and then first team. Dave Stringer had managed our youth team to success in the FA youth cup before taking on reserve team manager and finally the first team. None of these I would class as "untried".

Bryan Gunn I believe once had a position of stand in goalkeeper coach...

I wouldn''t really class managing a youth team or reserves tried.

Apologies about worthy I was thinking more promoted within and just remembered him as our no2.

I once managed locally. Am I experienced?

Very surprised at Spurs appointing Sherwood. Lets see what he''s got. Gunn or Guardiola? Feel a bit sorry for AVB. Been criticised for buying too many players and throwing them in together post bale, but according to rumours he begged levy not to sign 5 of them. Managers must hate it when their star asset moves on. They inevitibly cop the fall out and the club moves on without them. Not sure I really ''rate'' AVB, but feel he was badly undermined by the egos at Chelsea, and the pic by adebayor and assou-ekotu doesnt exactly scream respect. Too young for the ego''s to respect? Or is the modern day footballer just disrespectful by nature?