Sign in to follow this  
Cantiaci Canary

January Transfer Window

I may be wrong on this but over the past few seasons this board has been awash with rumours and wish lists by the last week of December.

Is the belated interest due to

1. being pretty content with the recent quality brought in by CH?

2. not expecting too much in what usually plays out to be an underwhelming and slow market?

3. The calm before the storm?

I dare say the boredom of christmas will result in a fair few made up rumours! But yeah it''s been quiet so far. I think maybe we''ve got used to January''s window never quite living up to expectation now. Probably get a couple of uninspiring loanees in as cover and that''s about it. Player prices are over-inflated in this window so we''d have to pay well over the odds for a player that would be better than anything we''ve got in the team right now, so I''m not expecting any permanent signings.

[quote user="MancCanary"]I dare say the boredom of christmas will result in a fair few made up rumours! But yeah it''s been quiet so far. I think maybe we''ve got used to January''s window never quite living up to expectation now. Probably get a couple of uninspiring loanees in as cover and that''s about it. Player prices are over-inflated in this window so we''d have to pay well over the odds for a player that would be better than anything we''ve got in the team right now, so I''m not expecting any permanent signings.[/quote]

Sticking my neck out here but think Elmander wll be made permanent deal

I hope not! Why would we want to make it permanent? He''s 33 next year ande never been or going to be good enough to push us forward! He''s a good stop gap for losing Holt, but I would like to see us go after a better option than paying daft wages on Elmander!

elmanders done ok and gets better, would rather see shane long come tho'', he''s more mobile, quicker, can do everything elmader can ,has goals and is younger. wouldnt be too pricey on wages either as he''s one of west broms lesser paid players .

I''ve got a feeling we won''t be signing anyone in January. Once all our injuries are back, which most should be by January then we''ll have a strong squad again. Where exactly do we need to improve?

Yes we do need an upgrade at RB (in my opinion) but I''m sure Hughton will wait till the summer for that kind of signing. I really can''t think of another! A replacement for Johnson maybe? hmm.

On the other hand if we sell (talk of Wes and Pilks) then it leaves us with no choice but to go into the transfer market for a winger and a CM

On SSN today, Hughton not PLANNING to sell any players in January, would buy some players in January if he felt it would help avoid relegation.

Good news No.9, why sell if we dont need to, and why buy at inflated january prices unless it suits us. Slowly but surely, we are stabilising in the prem...and that means no need for rash moves in or out.

Pretty much agree with everyone. A right-back would be great, but I think summer is sensible for that kind of signing. Get someone up and running with the team with a full pre-season. Hopefully Tettey, Pilks and Benno come back strong and suddenly we''re looking really solid again. Maybe let one of the Murphy''s out on loan if Benno and Pilks come back ok

Right back needs sorting for me, but maybe Bennet can be another option there when he''s fit. And some additional cover for Tettey / Johnson might be needed.

On another front - wide mid - what about a bid for Tom Ince?

New Winger ( who can cross a ball )New Defender or Right Back and use R.Martin as a centre back. Bassong is to inconsistant at the moment.Murphys out on loan, they are not ready for Prem league football in the slightest.

Need some cover in midfield preferably in central midfield perhaps Colback from Sunderland in last year of contract. Also Toivonen as attacking midfielder could be an option. We could pick these up for bargains certainly don''t want to overspend unnecasirily.

Cantiaci Canary wrote the following post at 23/12/2013 9:45 AM:

I may be wrong on this but over the past few seasons this board has been awash with rumours and wish lists by the last week of December.

Is the belated interest due to

1. being pretty content with the recent quality brought in by CH?

2. not expecting too much in what usually plays out to be an underwhelming and slow market?

3. The calm before the storm?

Always want to improve the squad, but don''t seem to feel any sense of desperation to rush out and buy in new players in January, just need to work on getting the best out of the current squad.

Our squad is strong and would only want to see players coming in who can make an improvement, we are talking big money for those sorts in January. Would rather save the money and get in some more the likes of Hooper and Ricky in the summer.

At the AGM they said money was available if required but they didn''t particularly like dealing in that window because prices were usually inflated due to some clubs desperately trying to buy their way out of trouble. I get the impression that McNally is not the kind of guy who will be held to ransom. Last January''s unsuccessful pursuit of Hooper would seem to confirm this.If we don''t think we are getting fair value we will walk away rather than pay through the nose.

Howson was the last decent signing in January for us, possibly the only really decent one in that window since Ashton. Be interested to see a new face, but as has been said we won''t pay over the odds and once we have all our squad back from injuries it will be as if we had made new signings.

Loans aside, if we wanted to avoid inflated transfer fees then we ought to be looking at players whose contracts are up in the summer. Obviously some clubs will look to cash in in January rather than see them walk for nothing at the end of the season.Ben Watson at Wigan is contracted until next August and would certainly add something a bit different in front of our back four. We could probably get him for around £2m or so which wouldn''t be bad for someone who''s a fairly decent deep-lying playmaker. At 28 I reckon he''d jump at the chance of returning to the Premiership, especially given Wigan''s disappointing season so far.