Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Whats so bad about distant fans?

Theres definitely something to be said for watching on a stream, something I imagine at least 20,000 odd season ticket holders must do for the away games. Find the commentary quite useful as its generally unbiased (something refreshing about broadcasts for other countries - rather than the toss MOTD come out with) and well informed. Good to gague how we are doing without the domestic bias. Being at the game allows you to appreciate some things the cameras cant, but there are also advantages to TV coverage

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="Buh"]Streams will never tell the whole story. You just see what the camera wants you to see.[/quote]

And you don''t see the whole story at the match...

Try actually listening to what people around you see, come on here and read match reports from people at the match. Everyone sees different things. Lots of people thought Nathan Dyer had been knocked out by Bassong landing on top of him, didn''t hear any comments about his ankle. When Fer ''scored'' that ''goal'' against Cardiff, my Grandad was certain it was accidental and Marshall just wasn''t paying attention. My favourite fellow fan, who sits behind me had a go at Johnson after he won and then cleared the ball.

So, fine you see what the camera wants you too. But that tends to be the game, and you tend to get a pretty good view and you tend to get lots of replays. At a live match you get one view, and you soon realise people around you often see things differently. But whatever, we''re clearly so superior because we go to Carrow Road and don''t live miles away. I actually personally think those fans are the impressive ones, continuing to support a team they can''t see week in week out.[/quote]

I dont think I''ve ever actually met another Norwich fan outside of a game. I was the only kid at school who supported Norwich, while everyone else supported Man Utd. Can you imagine the p*ss that got ripped out of me on a regular basis. Norwich? they would should with disgust and a sneer. But the dye was cast, my colours nailed to the post. Once you''ve chosen your team theres no going back. I dont think Im any less of a fan or any less loyal just because my childhood was spent watching teletext for 90 minutes, waiting for the score to change, or if I was lucky being able to listen to an away game on the radio, instead of at games

[quote user="Alex "]I''m from Norwich, born and bred, and to me there''s no way Wiz or Waveney could understand the passion a supporter feels for their HOME CITY SIDE - i suspect the handful of games i get to each season is a handful more than they do anyway ;)[/quote]

You''re so so wrong and arrogant Alex, back when I could afford it I was a season ticket holder for more years than I can remember, and actually paid for 3 family season tickets, so just behave.

Exactly TGMD.

It think its disgusting, even these pathetic trolls think they can belittle people like you this way. Assuming for a moment that some of these with an opinion that long distance supporters aren''t proper supporters, how on earth do they work out, that someone who stays dedicated to a team they can''t go and watch live every home game at least is a lesser fan?

Any genuine supporter who belittles others for not being local are just disgusting, they don''t deserve their ticket.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Exactly TGMD. It think its disgusting, even these pathetic trolls think they can belittle people like you this way. Assuming for a moment that some of these with an opinion that long distance supporters aren''t proper supporters, how on earth do they work out, that someone who stays dedicated to a team they can''t go and watch live every home game at least is a lesser fan? Any genuine supporter who belittles others for not being local are just disgusting, they don''t deserve their ticket.[/quote]

Winner of the Huzzah of the year award.[Y]

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="Alex "]I''m from Norwich, born and bred, and to me there''s no way Wiz or Waveney could understand the passion a supporter feels for their HOME CITY SIDE - i suspect the handful of games i get to each season is a handful more than they do anyway ;)[/quote]

You''re so so wrong and arrogant Alex, back when I could afford it I was a season ticket holder for more years than I can remember, and actually paid for 3 family season tickets, so just behave.

[/quote]

That''s rubbish. All this self righteous rubbish is rather boring.

I cant really explain why I fell in love with Norwich. I have no connections to the area other than some pretty idealistic holidays in my childhood in the Norfolk broads so have always regarded the area affectionately. I became a Norwich fan for reasons other than locality. You cant help who you fall in love with. I understand local fans who get miffed when those who live in their clubs catchment area dont support their local team and support whoever is top of the league. But clubs like Norwich are very unlikely to attract fans for glory-hunting reasons! I dont think club tribalism should be solely based on location, there are other reasons to support a club other than its the closest one, though I accept thats the main drive for most fans. I just hated all the clubs that were local to me!

This is a ridiculous thread. Apart from the trolls I don''t think anybody buys into this two tiered fan idea. And I think TGMD is mischief making suggesting there is aggression towards fans who support from afar.

Why is it ridiculous and mischief making? I refer you to the notion that posting an opinion cannot be wrong. Now I wonder who it was came up with that idea?

"There is nothing more inspiring when the snake pit and the lower Barclay rise to their feet as one and sing loudly WE SUPPORT OUR LOCAL TEAM"

Although in your case you would need to alter the lyrics slightly to.....

"I support my local professional team, I support my local professional team".

For otherwise you aren''t really supporting your local team, not in Waveney you ain''t sunshine.

[quote user="Dr Crafty Canary"]Why is it ridiculous and mischief making? I refer you to the notion that posting an opinion cannot be wrong. Now I wonder who it was came up with that idea?[/quote]

Any one who has the popster view to NN is a troll in his opinion! Agree with him or he wants you banned!

[quote user="Dr Crafty Canary"]Why is it ridiculous and mischief making? I refer you to the notion that posting an opinion cannot be wrong. Now I wonder who it was came up with that idea?[/quote]

Any one who has the popster view to NN is a troll in his opinion! Agree with him or he wants you banned!

Well if this agression did exist it would be in the archives for all to see Crafty. Alongside all the other aggressive posts directed at sections of the fanbase...

Opinions can never be wrong but making things up to back an opinion can never be right[Y]

There must be a way to score how good a fan is?

Surely away games count for more points than a home game (unless you''re an exile - then you start on negative points for not living in Norwich - Norfolk residents score slightly less than those of us that live in the city)

The heavier the away defeat, the more points you get, especially if you stood for the entire game, sang and clapped the players off at the end.

Extra points are awarded for not wearing colours on away trips (tinpot).

Extra points are awarded if you have visited really small clubs like Tamworth or Paulton.

Extra points are awarded if you owned a Chase Out mug/car sticker or if you were outside the ground at a protest.

Extra points are awarded if you retained your season ticket between 1995 and 2004.

Deduct points if you own a half and half scarf.

Deduct points if you have attended Old Trafford or The Emirates since promotion (Tourists)

Deduct points if you live in Suffolk.

Deduct points if your home ticket is anywhere except the Lower Barclay Blocks C-E or the Snakepit.

Deduct points if you use your seat apart from at half-time.

Award Extra points if you drink in the Steam Packet or Rocco''s pre match.

Deduct points if you''ve ever been the person who shouts Kick It Off into the microphone

Deduct points if you''ve ever ended up clapping in time to any form of goal music.

Deduct points if you''ve ever thought "He''s got a point..." when listening to a caller on Canary Call

Deduct points for listening to Canary Call

Deduct points if you''ve never played or managed at Anglian Combination standard as a bare minimum.

Award extra points if you shout "switch it", "Man on" or "Press" during the game

Deduct points if you shout "FORWARDS!!" at any point during the game.

Award extra points for having Becchio on the back of your shirt.

Deduct points for having a players name on the back of your shirt. (GROW UP!!)

Etc

Well done Warren.

Owning a "half and half" scarf - minus 10 points, tinpotThrowing Season Ticket at Bryan Gunn - autowinAdd points for tutting whenever Elmander touches the ball

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]----nutty nigel-----

I''ve done so poorly at this that my only salvation will be to sing Becchio''s name throughout the game on Boxing Day...

-----------------------

Surely he won''t even be our player after January.[/quote]

No idea Foggy. But if he goes I think we need another #4 striker. Although the others are now all fit there could still be further injuries/suspensions.

Anyway... Boxing Day''s still in December...

[;)]

Lived in Suffolk until I was 18 and been in or around London and the Home Counties ever since, I even own a half and half scarf (but from Paulton, so does that even out to zero points?).

I am a Norwich fan even though I havent lived there for some 30 years. However, my dad took me to games for two seasons when we lived there and I have supported them ever since.

Sadly due to distance, time, money etc I only get to see them a few times a season and it''s normally an away game but I still love the club and consider myself a fan.

My son who is 7 is also already a huge Norwich fan and has to stand his ground against all his mates who are Man U,Man City, Arsenal, chelsea fans etc. After our thrashing by Man City he was really worried about going in to school as he knew his Man City fan friend would give him a really hard time. I asked him if he would ever stop supporting Norwich, he answered "never, well unless they went in to the very last league in the world and kept losing every game!"

Having read some of the replies here though, maybe I should tell him to join the other glory hunters as chances are he will end up just being attached by other "real" Norwich fans who are fotunate enough to live in the local area!!!

I''ve often wondered if I should attempt to influence the team my sons will support when they are old enough. Though Im a Norwich fan, for them to support the club also would mean they were probably restricted to being a distant fan and wouldnt be able to experience going to games regularly etc. Supporting a club like Norwich would also mean they would rarely get the joys of winning something, especially if we stay in the Premier League. Local teams are all of a pretty poor standard, and not being from the area myself I have no desire for them to acquire a parochial attitude to life. Would they be happier being a glory hunter? Whilst there are things you grow up hating, when it comes to your kids, the question is what will make them happier and what will enrich their life more?  I guess they would enjoy having a shared interest with their Dad, but we could have that if I took them to the nearest ground regularly. I think I might just duck out of the whole issue and not try to influence it at all. They dont pay much attention to what I say anyway!

There has been many times when I have thought that the NSPCC might end up getting called in due to my influencing the kids to support Norwich.... maybe at a later date I will end up getting sued by them for ruining their lives, or at least every other sat/sun of their lives ;)

But there have been fewer prouder moments than me and my son and daughter dancing around the room together when we were promoted to the premier league or reading some of their school work with Norwich related comments i.e. My daughter putting Grant Holt down as her hero!

I was working for a while in a far eastern country that had a canary supporters club. All the guys had a connection through studying at UEA. Maybe they won''t get to see another game live ever, but they remain solid fans.

When you consider how easy it would be to support a Man U one has to respect their commitment